Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I think politicians in the US got this pandemic mostly wrong. It still doesn't care if you're Republican or Democrat, (or Conservative, PQ, Liberal or NDP in Canada). What it cares about is if it can infect you. And it appears Delta doesn't even care if you're vaccinated, though vaccination certainly does help to keep you alive if it can't keep you out of the hospital.

Here's the thing. There is a triangle that runs from Alberta and Saskatchewan in Canada, into the US Mid-West. Then in the South. Hot, and humid summers keep a lot of people indoors in summer. Temperatures in this entire area can reach 30-45 C or more. That's upper 80's to over 110 F, some areas like Arizona and New Mexico it can spike even higher. This keeps people indoors during the summer, because why melt when you have AC at home?
But now it's becoming comfortable outside, so people in this area can get outside and open windows more often. I mean it's traditional to have a BBQ on Christmas and New Years in my family. It's that nice outside. We have to wear jackets sometime in February.

So here's my prediction: COVID infections are going to continue to drop for a while as people in the Midwest and South start to get cooler weather. But the Pacific North West and St. Lawrence /Atlantic watershed in both countries is getting colder, and people are starting to move indoors more. COVID will do to them what it did to the center and south of the continent this summer. Because the Pacific North West is warmer than the East Coast, it won't be as bad there. But the Prairie provinces, and the US mid-west are not out of the woods, because they get brutal winters. Tempratures can drop to -30 and -40, and I don't even need to translate that from C to F... exposed skin can freeze in just a few minutes in some places. So a short respite is all they're going to get.

This is how COVID behaved last year too. Waves.
BTW the same thing happens in Eastern Europe and Asia, only they're a little more sensible about living in the nastiest areas... like Siberia. But by the same measure I used in the US, even Great Britan and Europe is not out of the woods.

We see the same thing happening in the South Pacific, South America, and Africa only they're 6 months out of phase with that prediction.
Yep, that's what I'm expecting. The recent COVID surge has declined a bit, but, we are still heading into the Fall with a higher number of infections and a higher number of hospitalizations than we did at this time last year, before the big Fall/Winter spike. With the tens of millions still unvaccinated, this year upcoming Fall/Winter could be bad. Not sure what stocks to pick, ha ha, but, I'm stocking up on some food and getting my Christmas shopping done early, before any supply chain woes get even worse.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK sounds like a silly place, they can afford Pelotons AND pet psychiatrists?
I can tell you from my vantage point of one of the poorest counties in the country, no, we afford Pelotons. Or pet insurance, let alone pet psychiatrists.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You need to move to a more expensive neighborhood, my friend... then you could afford all these luxuries.
Hmmm, I don't know... You'd have to be a thousandaire to be able to live on the up-wind side of the sewage works...

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
But they won't be dying of infection caused by parasitic worms during the pandemic. I would almost give odds that at the root of this is fear of needles. There's good news for them because a couple of new anti-viral drugs in pill form (not vaccines, they don't try to prevent infection, just stop it after the fact) are approaching approval.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets from today, Saturday 9th of October:

- World: Global Confirmed 237,476,122 Global Deaths 4,845,905

- UK: Two million Covid booster jabs given in England

- UK: Anti-vaxxers intimidate teen put in a wheelchair by Covid infection outside jab centre

- Democratic Republic Of Congo: How Covid funds went missing in DR Congo - report

- US: 187 million people in US are fully vaccinated

- Russia: Russia reports record daily death toll as Kremlin shrugs off lockdown

- Brazil: Deaths have topped 600,000

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets from today, Sunday 10th of October:

- World: Global Confirmed 237,777,629 Global Deaths 4,850,443

- World: Get used to higher food prices, says Kraft Heinz

- UK: Measures 'failing' to help schools cope with Covid

- Australia: Australia’s PM planning to fast-track international travel

- Russia: To temporarily suspend test-firing rocket engines to save oxygen supplies for Covid-19 patients

- UK: People who catch flu and Covid at the same time this winter are twice as likely to die than those who only have coronavirus says Health official.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
As their prices go up, I eat less and less of their junk. Healthier that way too.
I must admit I was a little strapped for cash last month so we just got raw ingredients and Mrs 'BobFace bulk cooked and froze some home-made ready meals and our food bill was roughly half what it usually is with processed/ready-made meals etc taking up a fair portion of it usually. A bit of an eye opener, it's just having the time/motivation to get up and make it all.

I'm pretty sure this will pave the way for more automation in farming, if wages going up is the factor in costs some competitor is going to bring in 80% to 90% automation in the production chain and get rid of that cost bringing prices back down. If it isn't one or more of the established big names, i'll have a few new brand names in the near future.

Forgot your password?