Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm pretty sure this will pave the way for more automation in farming, if wages going up is the factor in costs some competitor is going to bring in 80% to 90% automation in the production chain and get rid of that cost bringing prices back down. If it isn't one or more of the established big names, i'll have a few new brand names in the near future.
I'm just going to say then, that you will probably have a few new brand names in the near future.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm just going to say then, that you will probably have a few new brand names in the near future.
I will, I'm going to have to do a lot of work to get this started.

Some ideas:
Technowheat.
Robopotato.
AutoMeat.
GPS-Semolina.
HTMLpasta.
LabCress

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
AutoMeat.
Already exists... beef cells grown in a vat and 3d printed into whatever cut of meat you want. Drawback: everything tastes like hamburger. But it's real meat.

HTMLpasta
Yeah, with 404 Sauce!

Here is something to read.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'd try that. Could eat cruelty free beef without getting the stink eye from my vegan gf. Is there a brand name I can look up?
Waiting for FDA approval, but it should be soon. Your GF may not like this, the cellular cultures are identical to beef, even the fat.
Steaks and roasts made this way are also coming. And I read an article from a few months ago that they fixed the fat problem... so maybe not everything tastes like hamburger.

Also, there is pandemic driven research (by scientists that aren't involved with the pandemic so probably have nothing else to work on) into cultures of fish, chicken, pork, lamb, goat etc.
And right now this stuff isn't quite cheap, but it's technology based so it'll get cheap.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I must admit I was a little strapped for cash last month so we just got raw ingredients and Mrs 'BobFace bulk cooked and froze some home-made ready meals and our food bill was roughly half what it usually is with processed/ready-made meals etc taking up a fair portion of it usually. A bit of an eye opener, it's just having the time/motivation to get up and make it all.

I'm pretty sure this will pave the way for more automation in farming, if wages going up is the factor in costs some competitor is going to bring in 80% to 90% automation in the production chain and get rid of that cost bringing prices back down. If it isn't one or more of the established big names, i'll have a few new brand names in the near future.
Lentils are a favourite ingredient of ours. It's cheap, high in protein, and delicious when cooked properly. You're better off going with cooking your meals in bulk with ingredients like that than any expensive/heavily processed food.

I do cheat though. I actually sprinkle some of food with flavouring ingredients like yeast protein and even stuff that many people swear off like MSG. MSG gets a lot of undeserved bad press but honestly....you're better off using that than salt since you require much less of it (they're both sodiums).

Anyway, I did a ton of cooking during the lockdown haha.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Lentils are a favourite ingredient of ours. It's cheap, high in protein, and delicious when cooked properly. You're better off going with cooking your meals in bulk with ingredients like that than any expensive/heavily processed food.

I do cheat though. I actually sprinkle some of food with flavouring ingredients like yeast protein and even stuff that many people swear off like MSG. MSG gets a lot of undeserved bad press but honestly....you're better off using that than salt since you require much less of it (they're both sodiums).

Anyway, I did a ton of cooking during the lockdown haha.
I was fully expecting you to say you add bacon bits to your Lentils. But your right lentils are delicious, id also add brown rice and dry noodles as great things to have around as they store a long time are delicious and from them, you can make so many amazing dishes.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I was fully expecting you to say you add bacon bits to your Lentils. But your right lentils are delicious, id also add brown rice and dry noodles as great things to have around as they store a long time are delicious and from them, you can make so many amazing dishes.
I'm a soup kind of guy. Lentil soup with bacon. Make a big batch of that stuff and then freeze it!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Early-doors ultra extreme mega stupendo COVID Corner update:

- UK: UK start to pandemic worst public health failure ever, MPs say
Almost every Western country and more than half of Asia made the same mistakes. This pandemic is part wake-up-call. It's danger is more that everyone tried to negotiate or legislate their way out of it. This virus literally caught the world with their pants down. But the virus doesn't care two whit's about that. We had forgotten 1918-19. Don't let them forget the lessons again - even if it means changing the way you vote. And for God Sake, vaccinate Africa.

And overall the UK started slow, but faster and in more meaningful ways that most of the rest so I hope they're not too hard on their medical community for misjudging it. Large parts of the US still hasn't learned.

what the hell am I still doing up, at 2 AM?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Almost every Western country and more than half of Asia made the same mistakes. This pandemic is part wake-up-call. It's danger is more that everyone tried to negotiate or legislate their way out of it. This virus literally caught the world with their pants down. But the virus doesn't care two whit's about that. We had forgotten 1918-19. Don't let them forget the lessons again - even if it means changing the way you vote. And for God Sake, vaccinate Africa.

And overall the UK started slow, but faster and in more meaningful ways that most of the rest so I hope they're not too hard on their medical community for misjudging it. Large parts of the US still hasn't learned.

what the hell am I still doing up, at 2 AM?
Indeed there have been some amazing success stories like the speed at creating an mRNA vaccine, and lots of blunders. I think the biggest takeaway is how the medical system works. It will never be economically feasible to have enough trained medical personal and medical resources above the current threshold on standby to handle the significant increase in medical demand a pandemic requires. While it is possible to ramp up medical facilities quickly (medical tents), personal take years of training, and thus it's still not a really viable solution. Especially given the medical staff themselves get infected due to the higher risks of their job. Not that isolation in camps is a viable solution as the ebola outbreaks in Africa show families are reluctant to send away love ones to perceived death camps and would rather attempt to care for and heal their family which ends up spreading the virus. Public policies start to fail and protests/riots start to break out when people are pushed, especially when the very leadership is not following their own mandates.

As much as I would say we should learn from this I do not know if there is a workable solution. As much as you or I think we have a valid solution even amongst this small group I am sure the policies and mandates I'd intact would not be tolerable to some as would each solution presented by others. Take for instance the debated mask mandate, some saw it as a very simple easy implemented way to reduce the spread of the virus while others saw it as nothing more than virtual signaling that did nothing beyond providing a false sense of security and in that false sense of security might have increased the spread.

Even lockdowns are debatable in their success in flatting the curve or eliminating the virus within a population area. Even places like New Zealand which would be by far the easiest to succeed in a covid lockdown due to both it being an island and a smaller population is pivoting away from covid elimination.

In the end, the biggest takeaway might simply be what humanity has always done and that is, embrace the suck and continue to live for another day.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
"Everything we do before the pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate."

Making decisions during that time was hell for everyone.
Many lessons will be learned, I think mainly the Take Precautions one. If we look back on this thread to March 2020 we can see TEST was talking about the decisions taken in real time and even at that point I'd like to think we called it pretty well :like:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?