Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I am not sure if the mechanism that causes this is well known, but there are some interesting theories about it. It could be we are ultimately destined to have a new version of the common cold. All there is to show though is there is some evolutionary pressure not to kill the infected. It might simply be that once you're dead, you stop breathing, coughing, and sneezing etc. That isn't something to depend on, at least not anytime soon.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I've been meaning to post this earlier, this fellow looked at "excess deaths" during COVID and came up with these neat plots. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

NOTE: he has a state-by-state breakdown at the bottom of the page
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 2.05.22 PM.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'll have to check it out. been so busy with this new job have not had as much time to dig into studies as I had been so thank you for bringing it up.
Great to hear you're getting along with a new job, IRL takes top priority even over the glory that is talking on TEST forum. Enjoy your new challenge and we'll be here when you have a spare moment and need to be simple for an hour or two :glorious:

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
On a more serious note, looking at nextstrain.org , the delta variant has absolutely dominated the global data. I see nothing showing an omicron variant, or maybe they have yet to name it officially? the latest one they have named is the Mu variant. I’m not a whale biologist or anything so I might not understand exactly what I’m looking for.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
On a more serious note, looking at nextstrain.org , the delta variant has absolutely dominated the global data. I see nothing showing an omicron variant, or maybe they have yet to name it officially? the latest one they have named is the Mu variant. I’m not a whale biologist or anything so I might not understand exactly what I’m looking for.
Yeah.

Our friends at the WHO have officially named it Omicron.

Maybe they're naming it like the folks who name Hurricanes. Female ones nobody takes seriously...Katrina, Maria, etc. I mean the name Delta isn't exactly gender specific but it also doesn't sound super scary.

Omicron on the other hand....Freaking sound like hostile aliens from space!

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Yeah.

Our friends at the WHO have officially named it Omicron.

Maybe they're naming it like the folks who name Hurricanes. Female ones nobody takes seriously...Katrina, Maria, etc. I mean the name Delta isn't exactly gender specific but it also doesn't sound super scary.

Omicron on the other hand....Freaking sound like hostile aliens from space!

“On tonight’s news, did the new omicron variant come from SPACE??? … more at 11.”

also, I would really suggest looking at nextstrain, its Crazy how the delta variant has just taken over everything.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK Test and Trace now trying to contact thousands of people who travelled to Africa in the last few weeks.

The high-mutation Omicron, with 32 mutations in the spike protein alone, may not have any mutations beneficial to it... or, like a danger fart, by the time you realise what it was, it is already too late...

Time to take cautionary precautions and wait and see. This may be a practical example of what Bill Gates and all those others were saying about early on in the Pandemic about having vaccinations applied evenly across the globe?

One thing is certain - now it has it's own Meme it's already got one thing the other variants didn't have: A personality on Social Media.

Forgot your password?