Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Apparently there already is a new variant making its rounds, at this point you could redo the Pokerap with COVID.
News companies are jumping the gun on this, it's officially Variant B.1.640.2 but unofficially "Ihu". It is not yet a VoI (Variant of interest) let alone a VoC (Variant of Concern) - and I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more of this. This particular variant has 46 mutations, and 37 deletions in it's RNA. It is not actually new, it was identified during the last week of November when 12 cases were identified. As of yesterday, the case count is something like 20 all in Southern France. Doesn't sound like a winner at the moment.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
News companies are jumping the gun on this, it's officially Variant B.1.640.2 but unofficially "Ihu". It is not yet a VoI (Variant of interest) let alone a VoC (Variant of Concern) - and I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more of this. This particular variant has 46 mutations, and 37 deletions in it's RNA. It is not actually new, it was identified during the last week of November when 12 cases were identified. As of yesterday, the case count is something like 20 all in Southern France. Doesn't sound like a winner at the moment.
Do we know which varient it spawned from? If I remember rightly Omicron is an offshoot of Beta which was big news before Alpha proved more catching and dominated...

Actually with that example it doesn't matter, any varient could bring about a big mutation strain that goes on to dominate.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Do we know which varient it spawned from? If I remember rightly Omicron is an offshoot of Beta which was big news before Alpha proved more catching and dominated...

Actually with that example it doesn't matter, any varient could bring about a big mutation strain that goes on to dominate.
They do know where the first 12 patients had come from, going by memory I think that was Cameroon but i might be wrong. Other than South Africa, no country in the non Arab parts of Africa have robust vaccination programs, so essentially this might be our countries fault. But there are probably dozens or even hundreds of variants even since Omicron, and any one of them could have been Omicron with fangs. Its just dumb luck they're not.

Edit. Also I have no idea how many variants there are, but when you see something like B.1.640.2 you know it came from the 640th version of the viral line, and is not the first variant from that line to be recognized as a distinct variant. Sorry I had to edit my edit. twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Reactions: Vavrik

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
This is one of the funniest stories of this whole Covid business.

Some of the stuff Novak believes in:

- Believes he's gluten intolerant using 'applied kinesiology'. He came to this conclusion after holding a piece of bread (He felt weak doing it), and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.
- Doesn't believe in surgeries or medications and believes that human "bodies are self-healing mechanisms"
- Believes that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."
- added bonus: - His wife repeated a 5G conspiracy theory earlier in the pandemic on Instagram - her post was given a misinformation label by the social network.

Good thing the people in charge of the pandemic are medical professionals and scientists....and not..you know ATP World No 1s or Quarterbacks playing for the Packers.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
This is one of the funniest stories of this whole Covid business.

Some of the stuff Novak believes in:

- Believes he's gluten intolerant using 'applied kinesiology'. He came to this conclusion after holding a piece of bread (and felt weak doing it), and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.
- Doesn't believe in surgeries or medications and believes that human "bodies are self-healing mechanisms"
- Believes that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."
- added bonus: - His wife repeated a 5G conspiracy theory earlier in the pandemic on Instagram - her post was given a misinformation label by the social network.

Good thing the people in charge of the pandemic are medical professionals and scientists....and not..you know ATP World No 1s or Quarterbacks playing for the Packers.
I diagnose "Dumbass-itis"

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Whatever the next Greek letter after "Omicron" is, well, IT'S COMING! lol

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Whatever the next Greek letter after "Omicron" is, well, IT'S COMING! lol
Next up on the Greek alphabet after O (Omicron) is the letter Π (Pi). I fully expect this variant to further mutate to sub variants. Logically it should be named ΠΠ or in English 'PiPi'.

It is imperative that we protect our children from PiPi.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Next up on the Greek alphabet after O (Omicron) is the letter Π (Pi). I fully expect this variant to further mutate to sub variants. Logically it should be named ΠΠ or in English 'PiPi'.

It is imperative that we protect our children from PiPi.
Industry scientists have said "Our research shows that adults can also protect themselves from PiPi by useing disposable diapers as an effective mask." Other insiders said, "Those who remain unvaccinated can rest in the knowledge that they can even contribute more to the protection of others and save money by using soiled disposable diapers."

Forgot your password?