Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Friday 7th of January 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 301,740,457 Global Deaths 5,476,713

- US: U.S. Confirmed 58,880,116

- UK: Covid absences put pressure on England's hospitals

- UK: Major Covid incident declared in Northamptonshire

- UK: Hospitals declare Covid 'critical incident'

- UK: NHS major incident alert as military help called in

- UK: Military help for ambulance service

- UK: Army sends 150 personnel to help ambulance service

- UK: Military sends 200 personnel to back NHS in London

- UK: No need for a fourth Covid jab yet, say UK advisers

- UK: PM politically paralysed, says Drakeford (First minister of Wales)

- Isle of Man: New Isle of Man Covid payment for those isolating

- Italy/India: Mass Covid infections on second flight, India says

- India: Indian man has taken at least eight Covid jabs

- Hong Kong: Dozens of Hong Kong officials in quarantine after birthday party

- Japan/US: Japan tries to stem surge in Covid cases linked to US military bases

- US: True number of Covid deaths in the US likely undercounted, experts say

- Australia: Djokovic not ‘captive’ and free to leave if he chooses, Australia says

- Bulgaria: Travel restrictions tighten in Bulgaria

- Germany: Germany toughens restrictions for bars and restaurants and cuts isolation times for boosted

- Romania: Romania shortens isolation for Covid cases, contacts and travellers from high-risk countries

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Saturday 8th of January 2022:
*claims made by headlines or articles are those of the outlets and have not been independently verified, or in some cases even read, by myself.

- World: Global Confirmed 304,459,245 Global Deaths 5,483,528

- US: U.S. Confirmed 59,587,758

- Australia: Djokovic court filing confirms he had Covid in December

- Australia: Djokovic pictured maskless at public event one day after positive Covid test

- US: US teacher 'locked Covid-positive son in car boot'

- Phillipines: Philippines reports record daily infections

- UK: UK surpasses 150,000 officially recorded Covid deaths

- Sweden: Sweden's crown princess tests positive for Covid

- UK: "Concerning" rates of Omicron in northern England

- UK: Covid hospital patients increase by 50% in a week

- Canada:
Canada party plane influencer 'idiots' fly home to face music

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The Affluenza Influenzas sounds like a bad pop group name.
These guys are a hoot. The guy who organized this 'party flight' was in the Quebec news before for Securities fraud. A couple of partyers were low level reality TV types. There were other 'media types' (Read: Unknown influencers).

This whole thing just gives me the Fyre Festival style heebie jeebies just with more Tik-Tok and Pandemic diseases. Also...Sunwing is a terrible airline.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Pretty dumb move imho.

People who are denied booze and weed are gonna flip their shit. Anti-vaxxers are not the most reasonable types as it is already.
As far as I understand it, the provincial Government in Quebec is the controlling agency for both alcohol and cannabis sales, and can set whatever regulations they want. If the public doesn't like that, they can vote otherwise on October 3rd. And, I'm sorry, but I personally have lost sympathy for the antivaxxer cause. The cost of COVID as been too high for my family. There are people who can't get vaccinated, they don't count in that. I also think the antivaxxers have the right to say how they feel about it, as long as they let me disagree.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Personal observation from the ground in the UK, the price of everything is starting to go up. For example, a sausage roll I was paying £1 for last week is now £1.25. That's a 25% rise and it's not just sausage rolls, it's everything. Either pack sizes are being made smaller or the prices are going up.

Not sure if its COVID related or Brexit related, it's probably a mix of both but one thing is clear in that, once again, a lid has failed to be kept on something in the UK. Transmission, Cases, Deaths, now Inflation. It's all a little bit grim in Blighty at the moment.

That said I do live in Lincolnshire which scores not only once but twice on the list of of poorest regions in the Northern Europe for GDP by head, taking spots number 4 and number 10. We feel it here first and we feel it here twice:

1641719448882.png

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
As far as I understand it, the provincial Government in Quebec is the controlling agency for both alcohol and cannabis sales, and can set whatever regulations they want. If the public doesn't like that, they can vote otherwise on October 3rd. And, I'm sorry, but I personally have lost sympathy for the antivaxxer cause. The cost of COVID as been too high for my family. There are people who can't get vaccinated, they don't count in that. I also think the antivaxxers have the right to say how they feel about it, as long as they let me disagree.
Preaching to the choir.........but

I do think these loons are only gonna get more belligerent and violent. I'm somewhat against vaccine mandates for stores (restaurants and bars are fine) because of the enforcement aspect. It's already difficult to enforce mask mandates, this makes things even harder. Restaurants are one thing but alcohol and weed dispensaries? Poor guys (who make barely above minimum wage) are gonna get attacked when they turn away Québécois Karen from buying her quarter bag. Gonna be a lot of public freakout videos on TikTok and /r/publicfreakout from this.

I don't think cops will be enforcing any store vaccine mandate and if they do, they'll half-ass it. Hell the VPD doesn't even enforce vaccine mandate for their members. Imagine being busted for some vaccine mandatory activity by cops who aren't vaccinated.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
No not the sausage rolls!

Even here in the USofA things are getting a bit expensive, as well as scarce. Trying to keep the work fridge stocked with brats and chicken breast is a challenge.
Sounds like it's knock-on from the global supply chain crisis in that case?

That's like the most British sentence ever.
And it wasn't even the stereotypical Tea and Crumpets!

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's Morphin time!

One to watch, if it does inherit qualities from its parents and it has Omicrons shallow-lung bhroncial tube replication and transmitability but Deltas deep-lung infection that's going to be a pickle.

Hopefully, if it does inherit, it's got Deltas lower transmissibility and Omicrons shallow lung infection that leads to fewer serious illnesses, but it's not likely to become dominant if it does.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Expect more of this kind of thing. It's one of the ways viral mutations occur. We're also going to see this happening at least for a while, and there is always a possibility that it will be scary, and another that it will be a sneeze.
I'm sure Zordon will tell us if we need worry

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets* from today, Sunday 9th of January 2022:

- World: Global Confirmed 306,077,041 Global Deaths 5,487,150

- Australia: Australia says Djokovic given no promises on visa

- China: Chinese city tests 14m people after Covid cluster

- UK: Temporary rail timetable to combat Covid rise

- UK: UK minister denies there is plan to end free lateral flow Covid tests

- Kuwait/Qatar: Kuwait, Qatar report record daily Covid cases

- Greece: Greece sets February deadline for booster jabs

- Africa: Total Covid cases in Africa top 10 million

- Philippines: Philippines reports record daily infections

- US:
Snow leopard at Illinois zoo dies after contracting Covid-19

NaffNaffBobFace