Desk-Side Ship Control Screen?

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
So this is something I want to do, but don't know where to start. A buddy of mine is really into flying an F-18 simulation game with his friends and got some screens that are just like the ones in the cockpit with all the buttons n' shit.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get something similar but with a touch screen so you could quickly and easily cycle through the ship control menu's to adjust shields, power, and weapons. Anyone have any ideas?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
There is a Star Citizen Android app on google-play store that worked with Star Citizen in 2.5, I haven't tested it since then but the idea was great you could change shields power and some more stuff on any android screen.

I gave it up for I don't have a good enough android pad and I have the Thrustmastrer MFD screens dual setup that I use in SC and I plan to put in touch screen in them of right size when game get more finished, so I don't have to redo shit every update.

But there are options to this for shore but non that are actually working full out and since SC is changing every update almost, so I for one have just tried to do research and keep myself updated on alternatives for interactive screens to use in sim games and others too..

:beer: :beer: :beers:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I've recently gotten hold of a half decent surface pro, im hoping for some kind of plugin that allows me to operate mobiglass/Ship setting via it.
Any pointers? Running Windows 10, but there's definitely room for emulation etc :smile:
What you want to look for is program apps and such that can read the API data stream from a game to pick up game data.
Example. in racing games the game stream out the data from the cars that the game use to know what condition the car is you're driving. with that info you can have a external program picking it up and with a GUI made similar to the mobiglass or any screens in the ship it would be posible to interact with ship, screens and such from external source..

But for all this or things like this is going to work the game have to have a API data stream from various objects data in game... and I do not think Star Citizen at the moment have any API data stream active from game but then it is possible..

Second thing that can make it happen is a external third party software that work as a invincible overlay of the game and do like live print screen stream of a selected area on the screen to the third party software then you can interact from that. But for that to work the screen have to be static in the game as a screen in a cockpit on a jet flight sim is... and in SC there is not exactly that many static screens so then another solution is needed that work kinda the same... complicated.

And there are other ways to even more complicated and definitely involve hacking base code of game which I do not think is appreciated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There is tons of info on this if you search for "external screen to games" "API external screen to games & program"... etc might need to try all kind of version to find the info that suit your need perfect.

This is as short describing how this can work without getting to technical but so you get the basic idea and can start searching for right info for what you need.

It's a very in deep and complicated thing and not that easy to say do this and that and it work.. so hope this helped you out some...

CHEERS! :beer::beer::beers:

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Wait, I can potentially use my tablet as a MFD? Holy fist fuck, that's awesome
Yea if it is a android there is a app on google app store that did work with ships shield, power and some more stuff.. looks great and did work perfect... when I tried it on my mobile phone

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
You'll want to check out ROCCAT Power Grid and possibly the Thrustmaster MFD Cougar if you want something physical instead of a touch screen.

You might also want to check out SoftTH to use in conjunction with your eventual setup, but I'm not sure if it will do what you're looking for (or how compatible with SC it is.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
We have to wait until 3.0 or even later. Right now only shield control is working. Power control, weapons control aren't working anymore since 2.6. Let's see what 3.0 has to replace the old controls.

The MFD navigation in 2.6 isn't a good replacement for the old HUD in 2.5. The HUD in 2.5 had a static position allowing mouse emulation while the view stayed straight ahead, only loosing control over the ship for a short while.
The MFD navigation in 2.6 means loosing ahead-view and is very slow. This results in loosing control over the ship for a much longer time. Not usable during combat. Switching missiles or weapon groups during combat will be a hazardous operation.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
What you want to look for is program apps and such that can read the API data stream from a game to pick up game data.
Picking up game data would be visual great, but also would be a great advantage. If you can pick up power, cooler and shield data, then it would be possible to automate power and shield control. If your weapons aren't cooling/reloading and your shield isn't charging, you can put all energy in weapons. When you start shooting, power can be diverted to your weapons, when you get hit from one side, that shield can be increased, when you disengage, all power from the weapons can be diverted to your shield and engine, your rear shield can be maximized.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Picking up game data would be visual great, but also would be a great advantage. If you can pick up power, cooler and shield data, then it would be possible to automate power and shield control. If your weapons aren't cooling/reloading and your shield isn't charging, you can put all energy in weapons. When you start shooting, power can be diverted to your weapons, when you get hit from one side, that shield can be increased, when you disengage, all power from the weapons can be diverted to your shield and engine, your rear shield can be maximized.

Yeah! that would be so cool! but then you can do a lot of automated stuff with a good macro keyboard and mouse with macro keys.. like the K95 I have that to is connected through the software profile chosen and to the Scimitar Pro mouse as it was one unit.
So when I fly in Star Citizen (I am using dual stick + throttle stick) now I got one button to click on the keyboard and it turn of light, take off about 40-60m as it fold landing gear automatic and lock head and gimbal.

All I have to do is is focus on flying and can do that instantly, I also made a second and third takeoff keys for alternative take off's.
Have the same for automated approach and landing to a pad service station all I have to do is direct the nose of the ship to the landing pad and press my landing key, from there on all is automated. Work like a charm but it took some coding in the macro to make it work right and not crash in to the pad which it did many times before I got it tuned in right ha ha ha....
(might still need some tuning )

So there are alternatives to external screens that can give you tons of immersion and if you ad external screens too setup like that...
I think the feeling would be like wow!

Edit: like my setup here but on this picture I got the old keyboard and mouse and I got a new racing chair from DXracer since then too :smile: and throttle stick is moved to the left side of the left joystick.

:beers:

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
With automate I meant really automatic shield and power control, a program/script which polls your shield status and adjusts it when necessary.
Ah! That bee cool too, like always having a pro trained NPC controlling the engineering.. ha ha

Forgot your password?