Other Discord AND professions

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
In-game positional audio should be in with fully functional multi-crew gaming to help facilitate voice coms between friends in say a Constellation etc. Additionally Discord will be releasing temporary group communication in the future so options will be plentiful, just you wait!
Not to mention comms stations for speaking to an entire crew, no matter where you are on the ship is very likely since we know comms stations will exist on ships. IE: You don't need to be standing next to someone just to hear them, if you go to a comms station or have the comms officer make an announcement to the crew.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Great talk guys!
But what about crew commander?
IE: Red 1 in talking to Ground Control and in a channel with Red 2- 10, while also listening in to the verbal chit chat of Captain of Destroyers 1-6,
but Red 2 - 10 are only talking to each other, and Captain of Destroy is calling orders to Destroyer Engineear... Enginner... Ingangear... The Fix It Guys, and all while Ground Control is telling Captain of Destroyers 1 - 10 and Wing Commander what to do... assuming Montoya is a big shiney planet we eventually rename Ground Control

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
Great talk guys!
IE: Red 1 in talking to Ground Control and in a channel with Red 2- 10, while also listening in to the verbal chit chat of Captain of Destroyers 1-6,
but Red 2 - 10 are only talking to each other, and Captain of Destroy is calling orders to Destroyer Engineear... Enginner... Ingangear... The Fix It Guys, and all while Ground Control is telling Captain of Destroyers 1 - 10 and Wing Commander what to do... assuming Montoya is a big shiney planet we eventually rename Ground Control

(im sorry)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Great talk guys!
This exactly. This is why the military has multiple channels. Usually you have a main battle net, that is only used for the specifics. Everyone monitors it.

Then within the individual vehicles, like tanks, we have an IC system for that vehicle only. So the crew commander monitors the net. And relays orders through the IC to the crew of the tank.

There are secondary nets set up on different channels, IE, Rock raiders have their own net they switch to for Rock Raider specific info, orders, etc.

Then you have C&C vehicles or ships that have multiple radio systems on different channels that they monitor. So the Rock Raiders C&C ship will monitor both the main battle net and the Rock Raiders channel simultaneously.

That way if the bulk of the RRs are on the RR net and something is happening on the main net, the CC ship can jump on the RR net and tell everyone to switch back to the main net.

For us, it'll be multiple channels or channel discipline. So unless we're individually able to monitor multiple channels while in battle, our best bet is to
Use channel disciple: only operation or battle specific material on the net.

Otherwise, we'll need a C&C person to monitor multiple nets for us, relaying communications between channels

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
This exactly. This is why the military has multiple channels. Usually you have a main battle net, that is only used for the specifics. Everyone monitors it.

Then within the individual vehicles, like tanks, we have an IC system for that vehicle only. So the crew commander monitors the net. And relays orders through the IC to the crew of the tank.

There are secondary nets set up on different channels, IE, Rock raiders have their own net they switch to for Rock Raider specific info, orders, etc.

Then you have C&C vehicles or ships that have multiple radio systems on different channels that they monitor. So the Rock Raiders C&C ship will monitor both the main battle net and the Rock Raiders channel simultaneously.

That way if the bulk of the RRs are on the RR net and something is happening on the main net, the CC ship can jump on the RR net and tell everyone to switch back to the main net.

For us, it'll be multiple channels or channel discipline. So unless we're individually able to monitor multiple channels while in battle, our best bet is to
Use channel disciple: only operation or battle specific material on the net.

Otherwise, we'll need a C&C person to monitor multiple nets for us, relaying communications between channels
Would be awesome if a chat program let you tag certain channels and label them 1-X, then with a button push change channels in order.

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
My ideal: a program that allows you to listen to multiple channels, assign each channel to left ear/right ear/stereo, and assign separate PTT hotkeys to each channel that you want to talk on... not too much to ask, is it?!

Oh, and it has to have some kind of display I can put on my second monitor for which channel(s) is/are transmitting.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
My ideal: a program that allows you to listen to multiple channels, assign each channel to left ear/right ear/stereo, and assign separate PTT hotkeys to each channel that you want to talk on... not too much to ask, is it?!

Oh, and it has to have some kind of display I can put on my second monitor for which channel(s) is/are transmitting.
Not too much to ask at all. It *should* be rather easy to do. I think. I'm no software engineer.

This is exactly what we should have though. Or, on the basic level, the ability to monitor two channels at once, one in the left ear and one in the right. The main net left, the ship IC right.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Oh man... if we start getting into these high order communication setups, being able to listen and respond on multiple channels is going to be important. I can see a Constellation outfitted with a boosted comm system and a crew deck of 6-8 comm operators, all relaying information to different battle groups in a major engagement. Add on an enhanced computer core to help process and compile sensor data from multiple scout ships, some low profile armor to help reduce signature, and extra comm channels to keep everyone together, and you have a sexy, sexy CnC ship.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Oh man... if we start getting into these high order communication setups, being able to listen and respond on multiple channels is going to be important. I can see a Constellation outfitted with a boosted comm system and a crew deck of 6-8 comm operators, all relaying information to different battle groups in a major engagement. Add on an enhanced computer core to help process and compile sensor data from multiple scout ships, some low profile armor to help reduce signature, and extra comm channels to keep everyone together, and you have a sexy, sexy CnC ship.
Carrack may also be good for this. Or javelin. But with the setup the Carrack has, she may just be the ship for the C&C roll. STLyoungblood has a video on it. I'll see if I can hunt it down quick. I don't have time to watch it before work, but I think Carrack was on his list.
Edit:

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Carrack may also be good for this. Or javelin. But with the setup the Carrack has, she may just be the ship for the C&C roll. STLyoungblood has a video on it. I'll see if I can hunt it down quick. I don't have time to watch it before work, but I think Carrack was on his list.
Edit:
Oh pretty! It's like it has a giant 3D What's Going On in the middle of the ship. That might be handy for knowing What IS Going On!
Also, if you could pump the sweet sounds of "CCR, Who Will Stop The Rain?" over all channels to let us know nothing is going on, then when it stops we'll know something is going on.

Splicepoint

Captain
Apr 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Splicepoint
Resurrecting this thread but I'm wondering if the multi-channel audio may be possible via the VoIP in-game that CIG is developing. That might make it possible for an FC to listen and talk to just WCs and then WCs and wing members to all talk just to each other. Could make audio more appropriate for SC than Discord may be able to offer.

Forgot your password?