Does anybody have spare/old PC parts you don't need?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
My daughters PC finally died, its been blue screening for a while and it looks like the final blue screen has dawned.

Yesterday on boot up the motherboard was emitting beeping sounds. Ok, open it up re-seat the RAM, everything else is in place.

Reboot... nothing. No bios, no attempt to boot up.

Its a 12yr old PC so I am not going to spend more time trying to fix it. I think its time to upgrade, but she does not need anything fancy.

Griffingaming has offered up a PSU.

Im looking for motherboard, CPU, RAM.

OR!!!!!

Should I just go with Ryzen 2200g build ?

No GPU needed on that build and I can always add one later.

I can probably get away with a $300 build here. I wonder if it will run Star Citizen?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think this is probably an opportunity to test it out. SC will run like crap, but will it be playable?

Hmmm....
The only way it can run worse than my current machine is if the APU has worse graphics processing than the 2gb GTX 750 (non-ti) I have. Thing sounds like it's going to take off when I get in the PU.

EDIT - Potentially we have some TESTies with that processor who'd be happy to unplug their GPU for five minutes to test this for us? :)

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I think this is probably an opportunity to test it out. SC will run like crap, but will it be playable?

Hmmm....
have you checked your local craigslist ads? Also look into using https://pcpartpicker.com/ you can get some good prices there. Lastly ensure you check ebay's most recent sales for a barebones and take what you need from that to get up and running. right now all i have is an ATX case which i havnt touched yet sitting in the back of my office that i was going to use for a build but ive put that on hold until possibly later this year or early next year.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I think the best idea is to go the Ryzen 2200g route here.

Its future proofed for a while, it should last her a good 6yrs.

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
As my children grew up, I used these opportunities to upgrade my machine and hand down my old parts to them.
It was a lot easier to get the wife's approval.
Having two children kept me busy upgrading.
Are you sure Daddy doesn't need a Ripper?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
As my children grew up, I used these opportunities to upgrade my machine and hand down my old parts to them.
It was a lot easier to get the wife's approval.
Having two children kept me busy upgrading.
Two kids in pre-K... Im not upgrading shit any time soon ;)

Its a choice between sending the kids to pre-K every month or having them stay home and drive NinjaGirl insane, but getting new PC parts!

I will have to live with my current PC for a while longer ;)

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
Yes. I have 3 PC's with some missing parts I care nothing about anymore. Anything from 3-10 years old in parts.

The working one has a Q6600, so probably a Asus P6 Deluxe Mobo which was...X58? Maybe older.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
It’s probably the battery on the MB. That said
Get yourself a new computer, she gets the old one.

Just remember to wipe your history and install a key-logger and other nanny software.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
What you do is get an old, ugly, beige box, put a raspberry pi inside of it, hook it up to an old CRT monitor, and tell her that ‘if it was good enough for you as a kid, it’ll be good enough for her’.
That being said, I may have a GTX 550 in a box somewhere, but I know I have a Corsair 660w powersupply.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?