[DRAMA] Are you SURE you want to pre-order that?

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I keep getting burned when I pre-order or do early access, depite my support for Star Citizen.

If Anthem is still good a month after release, I'll pay full price for it. If it isn't so great, then I'll be happy that I didn't pre-order.

I'm tired of unfinished or sloppy games being released, so I've slimmed these down to just Star Citizen and a couple select others. CIG and developers like them have earned my interest and my cash. Big publishers like EA don't need my support, so I'd rather give it to some more deserving indie companies.

I'm not bashing Anthem. It looks like it's going to be great. I'll likely be playing it soon after release. I just don't think EA deserves a pre-order from me.

The no refunds for games burned me pretty bad on No Man's Sky, so I'm worried about hype for 'mainstream' games and I now know that they don't even have to have any of the content when they release so long as they promise that they will eventually have it. I didn't just buy 1 copy, I bought 3 for the multiplayer so that my friends and I could play. That feature came far too late for me to care about NMS anymore.

So I'm just gonna wait. I wait all the time for Star Citizen. I have a lot of projects to do too.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Meanwhile, here is what another company does when they are faced with a game that doesn't meet its standards...

It sucks having to wait even longer, but I know the game will be better for it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Meanwhile, here is what another company does when they are faced with a game that doesn't meet its standards...

It sucks having to wait even longer, but I know the game will be better for it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So
Why can't all developers be like this and not piss on their fanbase?
I just fell in love with this guy. This is what the gaming industry is in dire need of: respect for the fans and for the products being developed.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Why can't all developers be like this and not piss on their fanbase?
I just fell in love with this guy. This is what the gaming industry is in dire need of: respect for the fans and for the products being developed.
The gaming industry is especially bad, but the power is entirely in the hands of consumers even if they forgot. Feel free to send them a reminder.

Zapper Weisman

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 14, 2018
RSI Handle
ZapperWeisman

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I think the problem with game companies right now is they are rushing games out the door to fast. Games were never meant to be pushed out like this i feel like it has become a poop shoot to profit these large entities and gamers are not helping when they are saying we want it and we want it now.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
it's been six years since I pre-ordered Star Citizen

no regrets, but

once burned, twice shy

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
b46HSsf.jpg

Considering EA's latest scandal with lootboxes in Belgium (which they initially refused to take out after they've been declared illegal for underage gambling), their shareholders being really pissed at them and the general community distaste for EA's predatory practices, I cancelled my preorder.
I'm still excited for Anthem, will gladly buy it a few weeks after launch if everything goes smoothly, but I've been burnt one too many times (looking at you, F76) and I'll probably never preorder any video game again, at least until the industry standard changes.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The last time I pre-ordered a game was when they came on physical media that could actually sell-out of units.

But now the cost of distribution has been passed to me in the form of my internet connection and my download allowances and there is negligible distrobution cost for the publisher?

Naaa, when there are no units to reserve and no unit limit there is no need to pre-order anymore. There may be incentives to pre-order like limited skins etc but for the actual game...? No need.

Says the guy who has a monocle and top hat from SC.

Forgot your password?