Dreams vs. Reality

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
One of the main issues in 2.5 right now is easily griefing. They do it because they are bored. When we can spread out and we get more PVE action going on, that issue should quiet down quite a bit. We will never be bored wondering if there is anything else to try out. Planets are HUGE
yea i get freaking sick of the greifing, like you get ouyt of your ship to check out a distress beacon for tessa, and some just shoots it

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
i agree with @Sam K Macer

its funny i had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about spending more money on the game. He has only bought the base package. Before they split them so its a good one at the good price. Then he spent the extra to upgrade his aurora mr to a LN. Though the other day cause ive been playing alot again i took a few months off and hadn't really played. With all the stuff i have been telling him about whats being added and what the next few months has to offer he was considering buying a Cutlass as a place holder till he can upgrade it to a Super Hornet if it goes on some sort of sale again. He asked me how much i have spent on the game. I told him ive prob spent like a years subscription to an MMO give or take. That i also know of others who have spent WAY more. Then i followed up with the caveat that I spend the money cause i care about the project and want to see it succeed. That if hes unsure and just wants a better ship to play when we play. He can wait till the games ready. Thats half the fun.

also This Watched this the other day since ive also been playing NMS alot.

i think whats really important is even with all the controversy one has to admit CIG is very transparent with its community and its not like when they say they are gonna do something they dont show us and let us TEST it (see what i did there)
Soo much yes

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
yea i get freaking sick of the greifing, like you get ouyt of your ship to check out a distress beacon for tessa, and some just shoots it
I think it will be better when there is more to do in the game, right now all there is to do is to shoot other ships. So people get bored, and boredom leads to naughty ideas! :D

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I think it will be better when there is more to do in the game, right now all there is to do is to shoot other ships. So people get bored, and boredom leads to naughty ideas! :D
I think it's a good thing to have this out now before things are permanent. It's irritating, but continue to be vocal about it. This way, CIG can see how much potential the game has for non-stop griefing and how ineffective their measures are. I sincerely hope they take action. Griefing drives people away. I am usually pretty tolerant, but others are not. A small handful of dedicated griefers can ruin the game for thousands. I never understood why game developers tolerate that level of one sidedness. Why on earth would you allow so few people ruin the game for so many? It's just bad business.

Usually, developers eventually catch the hint and kill the griefing. But far too often they wait until the damage has been done. It's similar to cheat detection. They release with minimal detection, cheaters run amok, and people quit because of it. The developer finally, over the course of years, nails down the cheat detection, but it's too late. Too many people have left. I just don't understand why they don't just take a hard stance against griefing and cheating from day one. Why on earth would you wait until everyone leaves the game before you take action?

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
Its not just about more things to do, but making the Risk/Reward scenario more important. Because there is no risk to being a butt head its easy to...

But i feel like as the game progresses and certain features get implemented

That the verse deserves a better class of criminal.

1. Actual risk of losing your ship will make you think twice before trolling.
  2. Proper Hi-sec and Low-sec areas of space. thus making it harder to get around with CrimStat Forcing People going that route to rethink when and where they shoot at some one.
  3. The Idea that there is more profit in leaving a ship in tact to get the loot it might have
  4. The Idea that your character isn't permanent and that re-spawning wont give you all your stuff back.
  5. Creating an US vs THEM environment. Right now its all to common at grimhex for some one to just sit above it raining death on any ship that spawns. Which if you have encountered this its really annoying. This is because there's no reason to join up together. I feel like increasing the Security presence to a point where a single pirate would have trouble surviving would create a little honor among thieves.
  6. Lastly Making it easier to track players behavior. If you are known as that guy that shoots on sight and blows up friend and foe alike having not only CrimStat but some sort of Imfamy rating that's a little more in depth would be nice. Kinda like a police record for crims and a commendation record for the good guys
Granted most of this is just my idea of what they should do, or at least try to.

It was what ruined DayZ for me was not having the game police the players with content and design. If they from the start for instance focused on the Zombies. Increased the volume at which you encounter them Randomize the numbers in which the encounters take place. There would have been more reason not to just shoot every player on site. On top of that the META turned the game in a race to see who could jump from empty server to empty server gearing up. Then when you and your friends had a decent arsenal relocating to a good point where new players commonly spawn and picking on greenies,

Callahad

Captain
Aug 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Gavin6115
I think it's a good thing to have this out now before things are permanent. It's irritating, but continue to be vocal about it. This way, CIG can see how much potential the game has for non-stop griefing and how ineffective their measures are. I sincerely hope they take action. Griefing drives people away. I am usually pretty tolerant, but others are not. A small handful of dedicated griefers can ruin the game for thousands. I never understood why game developers tolerate that level of one sidedness. Why on earth would you allow so few people ruin the game for so many? It's just bad business.

Usually, developers eventually catch the hint and kill the griefing. But far too often they wait until the damage has been done. It's similar to cheat detection. They release with minimal detection, cheaters run amok, and people quit because of it. The developer finally, over the course of years, nails down the cheat detection, but it's too late. Too many people have left. I just don't understand why they don't just take a hard stance against griefing and cheating from day one. Why on earth would you wait until everyone leaves the game before you take action?
I just recently joined up and was wondering about all of this. How about in WoW where you can join and wander around with no fear of unwanted combat and getting wiped out? I don't know if i'll be a 'casual' gamer or something more serious in SC but i'd like to think if I spend a ton of fuel, time and effort getting somewhere i'm not going to get killed by a griefer everytime!

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
I just recently joined up and was wondering about all of this. How about in WoW where you can join and wander around with no fear of unwanted combat and getting wiped out? I don't know if i'll be a 'casual' gamer or something more serious in SC but i'd like to think if I spend a ton of fuel, time and effort getting somewhere i'm not going to get killed by a griefer everytime!
Well in theory it would depend on what you were doing. Like if You are doing like space trucking. I'd imagine missions would pay more based on speed. Faster routes would always go through High Sec space. NPC Mobs shouldn't be a problem but as always a human player may pose a problem. Also it may come down to Known space VS uncharted systems. I dont really know what they have planed for this. My understanding is that they are gonna Craft the universe system by system. Making some empty areas left for us to discover. I'd also imagine that newly discoverd sections of space in time may be patched with developments and new areas to explore like cties and space colonies. Which would be kind of neat. Plus the idea is getting blown up might not always mean death i would assume its not like you'd go all the way back where you started. It'd be more like in real life where you go to the nearest Medical facility whether its a near by endeavor, space station, or advanced planet.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
One of the main issues in 2.5 right now is easily griefing. They do it because they are bored. When we can spread out and we get more PVE action going on, that issue should quiet down quite a bit. We will never be bored wondering if there is anything else to try out. Planets are HUGE
griefing is the one issue I have in SC right now. I know it will ease up in time so for now I just deal with it.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Unfortunately Griefing has become the norm in many online games. It gets ridiculous and quite annoying.
It has caused me to drop many a video game in the past.
I doubt there is a cure in the near future but I remain hopeful.
Did I just grief there? Shame on me. ;)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Soo much yes
Thanks!

Unfortunately Griefing has become the norm in many online games. It gets ridiculous and quite annoying.
It has caused me to drop many a video game in the past.
I doubt there is a cure in the near future but I remain hopeful.
Did I just grief there? Shame on me. ;)
Its a little bit OT but: YES.
We recently had a guy "Henrik1" who managed to drive away our player group of around 8 people. First he hang around at ICC mission or base points, shooting unsuspecting people in the back, finding that kind of action meeeeega funny.
Recognizing that kind of deceitful actions by him, we gave "Henrik1" a warning shot, hunted him down once and told him to play nicely. What happened was that he jumped around, shooting on anything that moves. Thus we got angry, formed hunting groups and tried at every point of the mini PU to hunt him down before QT. The intention was to make a clear statement that griefing is not funny for players except the griefer itself.
What happens was, that Henrik1 began to push space ships at Port Olisar from the platforms against walls or into space. There was no way to force him leaving that kind of action. Thus finally we left this instance for going into another one.

Well, thats it? One guy managing to smash/ruin a whole instance, forcing other players to leave? And what will this become once SC is going live? I'm VERY interested how CIG intends to avoid such destructive actions...

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
I would remind you all of the principles of escalation of commitment and cognitive dissonance, both seem to be in play here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying we need to be alert. I obviously hit a nerve, and what you need to ask yourself is why you're defending a video game so much. It's one thing to be in love with an idea and another to be a fanatical defender of the same. I thought the maker of the video MandaloreGaming was being quite even-handed in his comments. So why did each of you feel the need to "write a wall of text." I personally feel the pull of escalation of commitment, but at least I am aware of it. I'm also aware that this level of fanaticism is not good for you or the game. I don't mean to insult you, my brothers and sisters. I just want to be sure we are thinking things through when you spend money you can't afford or you find yourself lying to your wife about it! All and all, it's just a game, no matter how grand.
We write a wall of text because we are verbose internet nerds and you gave us a lot of material to respond to. We are not vitriolic or over-invested because we see a value in addressing every point you (and this video by proxy) have raised; if anything we have found value in each point made, if we saw fit to respond to it. Do not spin a compliment as a new weapon in a debate.

I would argue that "escalation of commitment" is incorrectly used, as its key premise is "when faced with increasingly negative outcomes." We have only had one negative outcome happen - delays on deadlines - and while it has happened repeatedly, it has not come with other negative outcomes such as dysfunctional product or redaction of agreements. I do not deny deadline adjustments when they come with appropriate explanations, and CIG has been very forthcoming with information at every step of the process. And it's not like progress isn't being made.

You are entitled to your opinion about how "even-handed" MandaloreGaming was in his comments. I respectfully disagree. Many of his remarks were cast pessimistically, and were not grounded in the information available at the relevant time (Freelancer's graphics, website snafus, etc; our fellow TESTies have already laid the list out for you in previous posts, and I would recommend reading them before casting judgement). It requires no effort or skill to be a Monday-morning quarterback.

Fanaticism is bad for anything, but too much of anything is bad for anything - that is the definition of the term "too much." Humans seek to find that which validates their opinion - especially when it is a strong opinion. Too much pessimism will lead you to find unwarranted disappointment, and self-fulfill your own prophesy that the game will be a let-down.

Last edited:

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
I would argue that "escalation of commitment" is incorrectly used, as its key premise is "when faced with increasingly negative outcomes."
The increasingly negative consequences are the cost of the ships, if you have lots of money, there are no consequences.
You are entitled to your opinion about how "even-handed" MandaloreGaming was in his comments.
I think he did as well as he could. I know there were some errors. You should see how he blasted Eve Online.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
You are entitled to your opinion about how "even-handed" MandaloreGaming was in his comments. I respectfully disagree. Many of his remarks were cast pessimistically, and were not grounded in the information available at the relevant time
So much this.

Actually far from being even handed I thought he was incredibly biased, he made little effort to address things from the other side, most of what he said came from an already "anti-SC" stance. Several of the things he stated have already been addressed by CIG and he made no effort to mention the explanations already given by CIG.

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
I would remind you all of the principles of escalation of commitment and cognitive dissonance, both seem to be in play here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying we need to be alert. I obviously hit a nerve, and what you need to ask youvbnlf is why you're defending a video game so much. It's one thing to be in love with an idea and another to be a fanatical defender of the same. I thought the maker of the video MandaloreGaming was being quite even-handed in his comments. So why did each of you feel the need to "write a wall of text." I personally feel the pull of escalation of commitment, but at least I am aware of it. I'm also aware that this level of fanaticism is not good for you or the game. I don't mean to insult you, my brothers and sisters. I just want to be sure we are thinking things through when you spend money you can't afford or you find yourself lying to your wife about it! All and all, it's just a game, no matter how grand.
Well i don't feel like anyone here is is falling under the umbrella of either principle.

Simply put:
  1. you wrote a "wall of text" stating your opinion then followed with the statment "Comments?".
  2. People replied with their honest opinions just as you did either agreeing or disagreeing. Feels more the former has been stated.
  3. It might just be you are projecting your personal feelings about your investment maybe?
  4. Just because people have detailed responses to your query that disagree doesn't mean that those principles apply to them. Its kind of dismissive of their opinion to say that.
  5. Its silly to come on a public forum start a discussion then be surprised that other peoples opinions aren't in line with yours.
  6. People are can support and enjoy what they want and i know after the whole HELLO GAMES NMS debacle im sure people feel even mor uneasy about putting money into any thing that they cant be certain will come to pass the way they expect it. (and this is coming from some one who bought NMS and is happy with the purchase)

Callahad

Captain
Aug 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Gavin6115
I can sorta see both sides of the argument. Personally, I have financially (and emotionally) invested a fair bit into this game, but I am no fool.

Worst case scenario: it's shit and everyone leaves (not likely, as much as Mandalore seems to hope).
Mediocre scenario: it's keeps getting delayed - people will still stick with it for above reasons.
Mediocre scenario#2: it's released and isn't good - it will become a work in progress and we contribute to ongoing development for above reasons.
Good scenario: it's good, Test Squadron fly out, have the craic and drink together, sticking with the good and bad times! (most likely)
Better scenario: it does everything they promise and more.
Best case scenario: it's absolutely brilliant and fulfills every boy/girlhood dream and we all leave our partners to be together forever (not likely)

look, I've spent a lot more money on a lot worse things in the past.
see ye out there in the nearish future!

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Best case scenario: it's absolutely brilliant and fulfills every boy/girlhood dream and we all leave our partners to be together forever
I don't think that's the best case scenario at all. It starts out with "hell yea!" and ends with "wait, what?". I actually like my wife. She puts up with my never ending shenanigans...

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
There definitely *will* be people who will be disappointed. It all depends on your personal differing expectations. The question then will be: do I want to be disappointed or do I want to be satisfied?

Reactions: marcsand2
Forgot your password?