F*ck Cancer. A tribute to those we've lost.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Today @CrudeSasquatch and I, along with the rest of our family, said goodbye to our mom. After close to a year-and-a-half battle with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, Mom finally passed this morning. She was 75.
Pam+Ken-highres-90.jpg

Thanks for being the best Mom a gaggle of boys could ever ask for. You were kind, generous, loving, funny, and bloody ruthless with that wooden spoon when we needed it, ha.

You taught us, raised us, put up with us, and never hesitated to defend us. You loved us unconditionally.

Your long battle with this painful, wasting disease is over, and you've gone to a better place.

You will be missed, and forever in our hearts.

Thanks Mom. Godspeed.

---------------------------------------------------

I'd like to take this opportunity to open a forum for anyone else who has had to deal with this goodamned disease (or any other for that matter), so that we can share stories or struggles, commiserate, laugh, or simply remember and pay tribute.

Y'all have been a hell of a good geeking family, and I couldn't ask for a better org to be a part of.

Much love,

Owl

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
Lost my Mom just before the pandemic from colon cancer, and Dad a few years before from tracheal cancer. My most sinceres condolences mates.

All of you look like a nice and cheerful lot in that picture. Treasure that moments and those gone will forever be alive in your memories.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My deepest condolences to you and your brother. It's a hard and heart wrenching thing to go through, but cherish the memories. You'll have them the rest of your life.

My mother died of cancer back in 2010, my father 2 months ago also of cancer. You know, when I went to BC in June, it was to see my father before he died, since we knew it was close. While I was there, we all caught COVID at the same time. A sign of the times I guess. He recovered from COVID just fine, but passed away from the cancer in July.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Losing a parent sucks. You are never ready for it, and there is never enough time, no matter how long you have "known it was coming". Take the time to process this and come to terms with it. If you need to yell, scream, or just talk, we are here for you.

Deepest condolences from the Thalstan family

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
My condolences to all of you.

Lost my dad last year, took only 6 weeks from prognoses (Stomach cancer), he was 61. Lost my grandmother 2 years before that from pancreatic cancer, she was 79. She had been battling cancer for about 40 years on and off (different kinds, was cured twice, supposedly she should have died over 30 years before she did). Lost my grandfather(other side as my grandmother) 3 years before my dad, intestinal cancer.

The last couple years, and especially since my dad died were very rough for me, and I don't think I will ever get over it. But I am getting back to normal-ish now, trying to give it all a place.

So yeah, fuck cancer.

My heart goes out to all of you, I am sorry for your loss.

CyBear

Lieutenant
Sep 23, 2022
RSI Handle
CyBear
This had my eyes go blurry before I was even done reading. I am so sorry for your loss. As a kid I watched my grandma wither away, piece by piece, to this damned disease, and it made me hate it with a passion. Two years ago I lost one of my dearest friends to breast cancer, at the ripe old age of 29. Words from a stranger probably do not help much, but I sincerely wish you and your family the very best.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family Blind Owl.

Your absolutely right about Cancer..Its a shit show and my heart is saddened by your family's loss.
I myself had my own crappy experience but I survived by the skin of my teeth and never thought or had to experience the loss from your perspective.
I can tell you this much. When given my diagnosis and treatment regime I expected today would not be in the cards.

Having to put my affairs in order and prepare for the end was the hardest part of it,.. tore my family to the core...

Its not the passing that seemed the worst part of it young man. It was knowing that I was going to lose everyone I loved all at once that really hit me the hardest.
Cancer is truly rotten to the core and no one should have to experience it first hand.
But I'm glad she had such a great family loving her so unconditionally my friend.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
What an awful thing pancreatic cancer is. So sorry to hear that, both of you. My aunt died of it about 15 years ago. Lost my mum coming up two years ago (we were told it wasn't cancer, but it sure looked like it). Really feel for you both. Sending some love from over the pond.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
That sucks...

It's 2022 and modern medicine still has no cure for cancer... Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst of them, killing even young people; a lot of my friends or people I knew died from it, most of them at age 35-40. And it does't matter who you are and how much money you have -- Steve Jobs died from pancreatic cancer at age 56. My father in law died from cancer at 62 not a long time ago; he never had any health problems.

That's why we live like there's no tomorrow with my wife. You never know.

Forgot your password?