Fleet planning

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
So there are people out there who can buy everything and there are also much saner people out there who have one general purpose or starter ship leaving all doors open.

What do those of us in the middle do? I mean all concepts look great none of the roles are defined in game and even if they are mining you know full well it is iteration 1) subject to change. It is not like it is easy to answer the what do you want to do in game in game with so many unknowns.

Since the ccu situation has changed it is harder to keep your options open.

Then you remind yourself that you can relax and buy them in game along with the saner people who have purchased just the one ship. Anyone got any other tips?

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
only spend what you consider pocket change.

If you ask yourself:
"is this money not better spend elswhere?" and the answer is maybe.
Then mouve away and dont pledge for ship.

I have only spent in the star citizen project the amount of money that wont hurt at all my family way of life.

Auran

Space Marshal
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
TEST-Kami
I've invested over $2k into this game and I don't regret it one bit, If I could afford it I'd invest more, and the bastards keep adding such pretty ships to tempt me to do so, but alas atm I cannot afford it. If you can afford to invest in the game and theres something you want to buy then do it but life should always come first don't over extend or skimp on something to buy pixels.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So there are people out there who can buy everything and there are also much saner people out there who have one general purpose or starter ship leaving all doors open.

What do those of us in the middle do? I mean all concepts look great none of the roles are defined in game and even if they are mining you know full well it is iteration 1) subject to change. It is not like it is easy to answer the what do you want to do in game in game with so many unknowns.

Then you remind yourself that you can relax and buy them in game along with the saner people who have purchased just the one ship. Anyone got any other tips?
My tip: along with the suggest by @Firen to not spend more than you can comfortably afford...I look at Star Citizen like a AAA game that is worth about $60 a game, for about ?10? ?20? ?40? hours worth of play. Some games you get more from, some games less.

With the amount of time I play Star Citizen, it is easily worth two AAA games a year, so, for me that is $120. I economize by not buying other *crap* games during a year, and instead put the money into SC. So, I'm spending about the same amount I would on games, I'm just funneling more and more toward one game. For me, it is worth it, based on the decreasing choice and quality of games, in general...I find myself playing a lot of older games that I already own, now. And playing in the PU, once ESP gets fixed, I'll probably go into Arena Commander more.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I've found that a healthy habit is to look back and see how much you've spent in total.
I've pledged about $600 (the equivalent of 10 AAA games) towards the development of a PC game I like.
That puts things into perspective for me.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Middle ground means buy the aurora and sit on it..Maybe splurge and buy a collectors edition and get a Freelancer or Cutlass. Then, just relax. Wait for it to come out...OR..wait till the game comes out and buy it then.

I’m stupid, but you don’t have to be. Just get the game or wait for it and get it then.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I need to love what I do in 'verse. I do not have time to grind at all. If I had 30 hours per week to play, I would be all for that, but my playtime is extremely limited, so I will be focused on things like combat experiences, and in particular "stunts". I have been pretty famous for stunt play online going back 25 years, so want to get back to the "gee wiz" playtime. If anyone recalls the incident in AOL's Freeform Gaming Forum where the Bandersnatch attacked the Red Dragon Inn's new marketplace, and killed a couple dozen regular player characters in a permadeath environment, all to have it undone by a wish granted by the Crystal Rose--that was me. It was totally legendary! To the best of my knowledge, never before had so many players conspired toward a single maddening event and it was so far past epic people still talk about it. I want to get back to that kind of cooperative, epic stunt playtime. Capturing a Bengal or Kingship sounds just about right to me.

That in mind, it is impossible for me to say what sort of fleet I would have past that it will be primarily military. If I can automate fuel runs with NPCs, I can imagine owning some StarGs. If I can bribe some 13 year olds to fly regular routes with my NPCs, I may do that. However, I am really interested to see if I can pilot a Sentinel with a bunch more Vanguard formed up on it, and see how effective an entire wing run by one person can be. So I may go that route. The Vanguard is a great bird to join with others for group play. Buy one and meet with others who own their own and you can do GREAT things.

I'm also interested in the cool playtime aboard a Polaris, so I will probably do that too. I'm interested in the Raven, so will probably want that sitting in the Polaris' hangar. I will probably want to explore some planets directly so odds are good I'll have a bunch of X1 Force bikes.

I also have a very keen interest in stealth play, and I do want Ghost Hornets, Eclipse, and Prowlers working together. I've no idea which I would buy except that I sincerely doubt you can put very different kinds of birds together into a useful strike package with just one player. While you could command a group of Eclipse from one seat, you probably can't command Ghost Hornets along with and make them useful. So just how many different ships does one need?

I guess we'll wait and see. . .but you know, if you can command an entire wing of Eclipse, your allies will hail you as well met and heroic. . .for melting their enemies.

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I have no real idea (no one really does) how easy/difficult it's going to be to earn credits after release. I do know that there are certain things that I want to do in the game that fit my interests and I also know that I'm going to have limited play time. So for me, the answer is to only spend what I can afford to spend and get ships that will allow me to perform certain functions solo or with minimal crew (possibly npcs if necessary) from the start. Anything beyond that I plan to earn in game at whatever pace that ends up being.

Stoutman

Space Marshal
May 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Stoutman
I think of money spent on ships as entertainment funds. I do not go out much lately, so I have spend some of that money on ships to get a head start when the game launches.

As far as fleet design goes, I always recommend to get one ship of each type you want to play. Such as one combat ship, one cargo ship, one mining ship etc. Whatever you think you will spend the most time using and you want to have right away without grinding to buy one in game.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I did little and often. After a while it just built up to the point I could consolidate a lot of them into an Endeavor and still have a few left over. I just need the hangar and a few other modules, and i'm sorted.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Also, remember that you can only fly 1 ship at a time, so no need to hoard them all.
And if you'll play with members of TEST, we'll all have a bunch of ships, so every ship will be available to borrow and use.
Between the 17500 of us, with we'll probably have more than 50k ships to work with.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
My plan is to just spend 10 or 20 dollars a month on UEC. When the game launches ill have a fat bank account to start with.
I think though, buying ships with cash is much cheaper than buying UEC and then using that to buy the ships. You'll want to check and make sure, and these here are the folks to ask. IIUC, the best single purchase is to buy a rare distribution bird when it first comes out. Prowlers are only going to go up in price.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

I have money but i still penny pinch. what i do is put away 5-20 usd a week and put it aside thats 40 usd a month 240-960 usd a year. Then use that money to buy your ships. think about hmmm should i use 5 usd today to go out to eat for lunch, breakfast, or dinner. then if you decide no then put that money you were about to waste into a jar(Bank) and use it for what you want. I do this all the time and that is how i get so much crap i actually want. you never go over budget because that was the money you were about to blow to buy that steak this week from outback. instead make that steak you want at home with the grill you just bought with the money you saved not going out.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?