Fleet ship predictions and expectations.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
See my theory about fighters is this, almost everyone will have some sort of fighter in their hanger many will have more than one, the reason people don't use them a lot right now is due to their limited range outside of the Warden. This is why I brought up fleet specifically because I really think when it comes down to putting together a fleet in TesT everything will be covered to an extent because we have so many members but as a general game concept again I think every one will have at least one fighter in their hanger.

Also I was looking at the Nautilus last night and I don't see a ton of people picking that ship up but it could be extremely useful in say combat fleet maneuvers or maybe protecting stations in border area's where Vanduul attack, still a lot of questions surrounding the minelayer but it looks like a really cool, really niche ship maybe a lot of people wont have.

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Not sure the Nautilus will be for sale, ships don't always reappear after their concept if it is to soon after. I would argue the Nautilus is a defensive ship and that's its niche but it definitely has a niche. I have one fighter as you say but I keep switching which one it is and currently have the santok just because it is not out yet so might end up okay. I am not expecting this however. Even so most fighters look like a pain and not fun to fly and this is madness for CIG for what apart from starter ships are going to be the most widely owned. Yes there are two long range fighters sold the vanguard and defender.... even so wrecking the enjoyment of all the other fighters is a steep price to pay for CIG to pay for their existence.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Not sure the Nautilus will be for sale, ships don't always reappear after their concept if it is to soon after. I would argue the Nautilus is a defensive ship and that's its niche but it definitely has a niche. I have one fighter as you say but I keep switching which one it is and currently have the santok just because it is not out yet so might end up okay. I am not expecting this however. Even so most fighters look like a pain and not fun to fly and this is madness for CIG for what apart from starter ships are going to be the most widely owned. Yes there are two long range fighters sold the vanguard and defender.... even so wrecking the enjoyment of all the other fighters is a steep price to pay for CIG to pay for their existence.
I agree, not many options out there and there tends to be an OP ship or two everyone flocks to, its nice to have options but those options need to be viable and that's the issue right now. Be interesting to see how fleet management handles the range issues for some fighters, if you can refuel does this make most fighters viable for long range missions?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I agree, not many options out there and there tends to be an OP ship or two everyone flocks to, its nice to have options but those options need to be viable and that's the issue right now. Be interesting to see how fleet management handles the range issues for some fighters, if you can refuel does this make most fighters viable for long range missions?
Do any fighters have fuel scoop ability? Aside from the 325? The Arror?

Ninetoes

Commander
Sep 22, 2019
RSI Handle
Ninetoes
I can see a lack of turret gunners, navigators and engineers,... once those game mechanics are in game,...
AI crew members and computer ran turrets will be necessary
Though, my girlfriend wants to be in my crew, which is a plus,... she has problems flying her starter ship,... :)

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Not sure if this is what your looking for, I was under the impression all fighters except for snub fighters would be able to scoop fuel to some extent, depending on what was available and how fast you were burning the fuel etc.. and only hydrogen fuel tank not the quantum fuel tanks.

Attachments

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Marc, how do you think the San'tok.Yai will end up being as a fighter?
Very agile in the left / right / up / down directions, but not so fast in the forward / backward axis. Like a chopper or Harrier compared to conventional jets.
Do any fighters have fuel scoop ability? Aside from the 325? The Arror?
They still have, only it's consumption is much higher than its scope. Now in 3.7 you only will see your hydrogen fuel go down, fast if you are maneuvering, slow if you are traveling. However, if you speed up your ship to maximum speed, then shutdown your engines, the ships keeps it speed, but the hydrogen fuel slowly will increase.
You only will see the increase if you power up your engines again. It takes a few minutes top speed for a few percent.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Very agile in the left / right / up / down directions, but not so fast in the forward / backward axis. Like a chopper or Harrier compared to conventional jets.
That's sounds fun. I guess it'll be similar to the Khartu-Al? If so, I may just have to try one out. Sounds like it'd be a blast with dual sticks.
They still have, only it's consumption is much higher than its scope. Now in 3.7 you only will see your hydrogen fuel go down, fast if you are maneuvering, slow if you are traveling. However, if you speed up your ship to maximum speed, then shutdown your engines, the ships keeps it speed, but the hydrogen fuel slowly will increase.
You only will see the increase if you power up your engines again. It takes a few minutes top speed for a few percent.
Ok. That's new. But I guess everything is new when you haven't played in a couple years, haha. So the arrow and 325 don't have special fuel scooping capacities?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
That's sounds fun. I guess it'll be similar to the Khartu-Al? If so, I may just have to try one out. Sounds like it'd be a blast with dual sticks.
1575020455686.png

1575020535822.png

Similar quad 4 thruster config... exactly

Ok. That's new. But I guess everything is new when you haven't played in a couple years, haha. So the arrow and 325 don't have special fuel scooping capacities?
Maybe more efficient fuel scoops? That really depends on hydrogen tank capacity, fuel usage and scoop fuel gain. The only thing you can try out now is: go full speed, turn of engines, wait 5 minutes, check percentage increase, then check total capacity, calculate quantity / time unit.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
As this is TEST Squadron, I figured that the answer would be BEER. So I think that the item that most of us will be needing to upgrade to eventually is a mini fridge right next to our gaming thrones for easy access to our preferred beverages.

I'm still leaning towards owning a support shit myself. I love the look of the Vulcan, but that Crucible has a lot of hidden talent packed into a relatively cheap hull.
Is a support shit the one that if you put a little vest on your number 2 they let you bring it into stores and on airplanes?

or maybe

:love:

Reactions: Blind Owl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
As this is TEST Squadron, I figured that the answer would be BEER. So I think that the item that most of us will be needing to upgrade to eventually is a mini fridge right next to our gaming thrones for easy access to our preferred beverages.
Is this close enough?
fridge.jpg

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
View attachment 14411

View attachment 14412

Similar quad 4 thruster config... exactly

Maybe more efficient fuel scoops? That really depends on hydrogen tank capacity, fuel usage and scoop fuel gain. The only thing you can try out now is: go full speed, turn of engines, wait 5 minutes, check percentage increase, then check total capacity, calculate quantity / time unit.
So yeah, I'm digging this fighter. But I reckon if I asked you what you thought a good companion fighter to the Sentinel was, you'd probably tell me I'd depends on my flying style. Which means for choosing another fighter I'm going to have to play the dang game, haha.

But is it a refrigerated safe?
Damn Marc, I'm blown away every time I see this. So jealous.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So yeah, I'm digging this fighter. But I reckon if I asked you what you thought a good companion fighter to the Sentinel was, you'd probably tell me I'd depends on my flying style. Which means for choosing another fighter I'm going to have to play the dang game, haha.
Why only 2 fighters?
Light Fighter: Gladius or Arrow
Medium Fighter: Super Hornet (if it finally gets it's armor implemented) or Sabre (it doesn't need armor, it has enough shields)
Heavy Fighter: Vanguard

Damn Marc, I'm blown away every time I see this. So jealous.
It is a half year old picture, which incidentally had a good view of the fridge... as a matter of fact, I replaced that old fridge

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Why only 2 fighters?
Light Fighter: Gladius or Arrow
Medium Fighter: Super Hornet (if it finally gets it's armor implemented) or Sabre (it doesn't need armor, it has enough shields)
Heavy Fighter: Vanguard
Haha, because I'm TRYING to keep my fleet small.
But I do like the idea of one of each...
Arrow or Galdius?
SH or Sabre?
It is a half year old picture, which incidentally had a good view of the fridge... as a matter of fact, I replaced that old fridge
Haha, gotta keep that beer cold my friend.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?