Four unannounced ships coming

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I just want to see what that A2 bomb can do.

How is it better than a torpedo? When does bombing something on the ground become the most viable form of damage dealing?

The obvious advantage for dropping a bomb is that detection is probably difficult. The actual game play that will favor bombs is far out there, it could be years!
I'm looking forward to releasing bombs in zero G and just letting it drift to target.

Flying a 350r, my definition of drift moves at over 1,300 meters a second...

Vikk

Commander
Jun 3, 2021
RSI Handle
Vikk
tHeY sHoUlD sToP mAkiNg ShiPs aNd jUsT foCuS oN fIniShiNg tHe gAmE!!!!
I agree completely, but how else will they break $400!!!!

Really, I just wished they would meet their timeline more often. I understand they are doing "new" things and speed bumps happen. But after the first few years you would have thought they would get their deadlines narrowed a bit more. Its been like 10+ years now... Coming from an IT career, I don't understand how a company can function like that.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I just want to see what that A2 bomb can do /.../
I wonder how this is going to be implemented -- the only solution which is coming to my mind is to use SC dynamic weather mechanics and create a small local hurricane blowing strong wind in all direction from the center of the impact, simulating blast wave, with some VFX added. Once fire is implemented in game, it could be added too -- that would be fun, as the bomb could set everything in fire, when dropped in atmosphere.

BTW, I don't know why CIG designs MOAB instead of allowing A2 to do carpet bombing -- imagine eighty 500-pound bombs or forty 750-pound bombs, which could "take out almost everything within a box approximately five-eighths mile wide by two miles long". I think that would be more useful in game, as there is no way to hide, fly away or run away from that.

VGD5HBIMTNEOVC4DUQ7VNSFRPY.jpg

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm looking forward to releasing bombs in zero G and just letting it drift to target.

Flying a 350r, my definition of drift moves at over 1,300 meters a second...
Scouts report that the Vanduul are about to enter the system through X jump point. Multiple A2 ships release their MOABs just outside the gate far enough to not destroy the gate, but close enough that the enemy can't defend against the sudden explosions tearing into their hulls as they exit the jump space blind. To make sure that the MOAB's only hit ships of a large enough size, have multiple Nautilus deploy their drones, some to target smaller ships coming through with Distortion weapons, the others to detect the right size ships as they exit & then push the bombs right into their hulls at key points. Sure, a LOT of drones will be lost in the process, but potentially destroying an entire Vanduul raid without a single casualty would be legendary & morale would go through the stars. TESTify!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
BTW, I don't know why CIG designs MOAB instead of allowing A2 to do carpet bombing -- imagine eighty 500-pound bombs or forty 750-pound bombs, which could "take out almost everything within a box approximately five-eighths mile wide by two miles long". I think that would be more useful in game, as there is no way to hide, fly away or run away from that.
I think the reason is, the MOAB used by the US is a made for purpose large ordinance, designed to be dropped by the C-130 Hercules (or was it AC-130 variant...?) It was used in Iraq in 2017, the A2 was announced a few months later.

BTW the MOAB is not a very large bomb, it is just a large bomb, designed for soft or medium targets (you know, like soon to be dead people and maybe cars or houses) - not a hardened target.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I just want to see what that A2 bomb can do.

How is it better than a torpedo? When does bombing something on the ground become the most viable form of damage dealing?

The obvious advantage for dropping a bomb is that detection is probably difficult. The actual game play that will favor bombs is far out there, it could be years!
Now hear me out. Bombs are made to drop in gravity. But if they drop out of bomb bay doors, then technically you could strafe down towards a target in space (or fly directly towards it, decouple, point the bottom of the A2 at the target), say a Kingship or a Bengal, hit the bomb release, then strafe up. Physics says that said bomb shall continue on at that specified velocity. Big bada-BOOM!

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I wonder how this is going to be implemented -- the only solution which is coming to my mind is to use SC dynamic weather mechanics and create a small local hurricane blowing strong wind in all direction from the center of the impact, simulating blast wave, with some VFX added. Once fire is implemented in game, it could be added too -- that would be fun, as the bomb could set everything in fire, when dropped in atmosphere.

The A2 will have two different bomb modules on it, one is the MOAB and the other is smaller bombs in a certain quantity.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Scouts report that the Vanduul are about to enter the system through X jump point. Multiple A2 ships release their MOABs just outside the gate far enough to not destroy the gate, but close enough that the enemy can't defend against the sudden explosions tearing into their hulls as they exit the jump space blind. To make sure that the MOAB's only hit ships of a large enough size, have multiple Nautilus deploy their drones, some to target smaller ships coming through with Distortion weapons, the others to detect the right size ships as they exit & then push the bombs right into their hulls at key points. Sure, a LOT of drones will be lost in the process, but potentially destroying an entire Vanduul raid without a single casualty would be legendary & morale would go through the stars. TESTify!
I wonder what range they'll give them? Bullets etc magically vanish after an arbitrary distance so how far will bombs be allowed to drift before the Server despawns them?

EDIT - I've just thought of a theorycraft to explain bomb with limited range - the explosive is inert until the bomb is released, but once activated is highly unstable and detonates after a certain amount of time, rather than range...?

View attachment 21298
I can only imaging what spawning 80+ seperate freefalling entities would do to the server, a Dev problem rather than mine though...

To have such destructive potential the ship able to carpet bomb would either be the most fragile craft in the game or counter measures for bombs will be hyper advanced and super easy to use...?

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What are the most obvious roles we are missing?
We know we're due for a pair of large explorer ships built from medium components (my favorite), meaning something larger than a Vanguard but oufited nearly identically. Stuff close to the Connie and MSR in size. So the Origin 400i is a luxury explorer for a team of 3 and the Drake Corsair is I think intended for a team of 4, but with accommodations for more (like the old Corsair pirating ships. Note in the deckplan she has 4 stations, 5 beds and room for six at the table.). I'd expect the 400i to have much less cargo space than the Corsair and the Corsair has less than the Conny and MSR, so they're not good transports. They're really intended as explorers, but might make good drug runners, high duration stealth recon military scouts and even stealthy ingress platforms for small squad landings. If you want to attack pirate outposts and slaver bases, these might make good choices.

We'll have to wait and see. This is my favorite class of ship. Just needs an extra cooler. . .
1630680225072.png

It's also possible we'll see the Vulcan medium repair/refuel and the Vulture light Salvage. Isn't salvage due (again) this coming patch?

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Err... as far as I know they do actually: A2 is suppose to have two configuration either the MOAB variant or the normal bomb dropping.
1630685749488.png

That's from the borochure of the Hercules. it will probably be implemented as a separate equipment using the modules system in the future.

I think the reason is, the MOAB used by the US is a made for purpose large ordinance, designed to be dropped by the C-130 Hercules (or was it AC-130 variant...?) It was used in Iraq in 2017, the A2 was announced a few months later.

BTW the MOAB is not a very large bomb, it is just a large bomb, designed for soft or medium targets (you know, like soon to be dead people and maybe cars or houses) - not a hardened target.
Hmm actually afaik the MOAB was never really be used.
The only recorded drop was during the hot situation when Iraq was treathening to invade Egypt (if I'm not wrong): the drop it in a ttest field conventionally situated on the Egypt border with Iraq. A few days leater Iraq retrive the troop that wae assembling near the border...

The MOAB is not in fact a hight explosive bomb, is a ari-sol one: it work by praying hight falmable/explosive liquid/gas (sorry don't know THAT much of the specifcs) in the air and then detonate it with a much much bigger boom do to the air expansion.
Basically it use the same principle of the atomic bomb or of the "area bombing" tecnique, just in a "compact" version and without that nasty radiation-thing to mess with.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Don't forget Aurora Ghost....Aurora Sentinel (With EMP) and Esperia's Reversed Engineered version of a Vanduul Reversed Engineered Aurora...the Aurora Blade (x10 the price of a regular Aurora cause Alien!)
You are kidding but some time ago CIG give us a snake picks of those:
Mustang_Vandul.PNG

Cutlass_Vandul.PNG

but with the recent info on the Nyx pirate I,m more will to associate this variants to them...

Forgot your password?