Free Look using FOIP

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I found the "Free Look" setting in FOIP, tried it out, and found it to be pretty damn good! Check out the video below...I was thinking of getting Track IR but wanted to wait and see how this worked. Boy, am I glad I waited...I'm sure Track IR is better, but for the price of "free" (I dug up my old webcam out of a drawer) this worked really, really well.

Free look also works just walking around, although there is a preference to just have it activated while seated. I'll have to play some Star Marine to see how it works in FPS.

View: https://youtu.be/ID_pujJ-Ifw

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Ohhh what webcam are you using? I have trackIR but not always feel like using it. This would be a nice alternative!
I have a Logitech c920...it is 1080 camera resolution (supposedly) and 30 fps.

Do you use it only in seat or also on foot? I find it very confusing on foot. (and i know i'm not the only one)
I just started using it...I was using it on foot and didn't find it that bad, I can always return to center using my mouse. I do wonder about how it works with Star Marine, i.e., will I be looking one way when my weapon is pointed somewhere else? I'll have to test it.

It's not a TrackIR replacement yet - there's no axis control and the movement isn't smooth. But it's a start.
For a first implementation in a pre-Alpha, I find it to be pretty good! I'm assuming it will only get better. If my camera was 60fps, it would likely be better.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Wow, that does look good. What camera are you using?
lol, isn't this what you did to other people?
this camera p.png

if you have a webcam just sitting around, I would try that out. I think the Logitech is pretty good, but I swear it is at least 4 years old!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Do you use it only in seat or also on foot? I find it very confusing on foot. (and i know i'm not the only one)
I ran around with Star Marine this morning. It is what I expected...your head moves around, but your gun always faces the direction your body is, so, if you are looking left and see somebody to your left, but you don't move left with your mouse, you are going to fire forward, not the direction you are looking. You have to turn your body with your mouse.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I'm using the c920 myself, i've noticed a few issues with tracking. One problem seems to be my main monitor size, at 40" it's wall mounted because of the desk, I noticed I had to be very close to the camera to get it to face track and calibrate,

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I think I'm going to need a new camera. I was just playing around with my old camera and it's pretty spotty. My old camera is a rocketfish from bestbuy like 10 years ago.
I would wait for the pricetag on the official SC Camera ( http://facewaretech.com/ ) (My guess is 150-200€). "Webcam quality" seems to have been static for a couple of years and there are almost no 60 FPS 1080p cams out there. Maybe its also valid to use 720p and 60 FPS. Something which the c922 should do. Did anyone made a comparison yet?
I think the c920/c922 is a pretty solid camera if you can find it for a good price. (usally its ~90€ here but i found them for 45 € too)

My old MS HD-5000 works too but has an autofokus issue in windows 10 which can't be fixed.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I’m going to use my EOS M with 25mm f1.8 for maximum foip’ing. I’m going to foip all over the place. You’ll see me and I’ll be all like, foip foip foip...

Reactions: Michael
Forgot your password?