Gamescom 2017 reaction. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Hello TESTies!

Coming to you from sunny Clearwater, Florida!

I just finished watching the live stream, the endorphins are pumping and for the first time in a long time, I am once again energized and excited for Star Citizen.

Like many of the long term backers here, I too go through ups and downs.

Very few things can get us old backers excited these days, but seeing new environments, ships and game mechanics we saw today will keep us going for some time to come!

The good:
- Delamar looks amazing!
- The Idris works!
- In-game player comms are great!
- New 600i looks amazing!

The bad:
- Game crash during a demo watched by over 40,000 people on Twitch.
- Sorry TrackIR!

The ugly
- Potential and on-the-fence backers will not come rushing in, they will continue to wait.
- If you listen carefully, you can hear the anti Star Citizen journalists frantically typing away for tomorrows big story about how a $150M project is failing to even demo properly.

I don't think I need to spend too much time on the good. All of use here in TEST watched the demo, we had a huge turnout in discord chat and massive record traffic spikes here on the forum.

Overall reaction from existing backers is extremely positive, everybody I have spoken to is very pleased and excited to get their hands on 3.0.

We finally got to see the long awaited Eckhart mission playthrough. I was sitting here much like the rest of you, grinning and visualizing myself finally meeting him and getting something to do in the game!

As Chris Roberts explained, missions would be different all the time, but we get the idea of what a fetch mission will be like.

The faceware system was a nice touch, it was not something I was too excited about, but I will withhold judgement until I have actually spent some time using it in the game. The ability to look around the cockpit using the facetracking was the bigger feature here. I suspect that over time, perhaps in 4-5 years we will wonder how any MMO can NOT have facetracking in it. I feel it is a feature that will simply slide into the background and be considered "normal" for an MMO in a few years.

Now for the bad:

We can all appreciate CIG wanting to do a live demo, but honestly, with a game this buggy, and a demo of a yet unreleased 3.0 in front of 40,000 Twitch viewers, I would have played it safe and done a prerecorded demo.

Sure, Derek Smart would have a field day and send out a tweetstorm about how 3.0 is vaporware because there was a prerecorded video shown, but to the people who just want to see something new, it matters not.

The fence-sitters do not care if the demo is live or not, they are just curious to see what the game can offer.

That being said, the people who really matter are the existing backers who understand the vision of CIG and already demonstrated our vote of confidence with our wallets.

The ugly part will unfold over the next few days as the tabloid journalists pump out their clickbait articles about how Star Citizen is a $150M failure.

Haters gonna hate, there is nothing we can do about that, but today we saw a huge jump forward into what will be coming our way, and its amazing!

The bottom line is that current backers are more excited than ever. Sure, this project is going to be very, very late, but over the next few days we will see how much that excitement translates into dollars thanks to the sleek and sexy 600i that just went on sale.

Money drives this project, and we have yet to see any change to the strong flow of new funds to make this amazing game a reality!

Now I have to go ponder if getting rid of my Pheonix for the 600 Explorer is a good idea or not.

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
I wasn't too happy with the face ware or more importantly its purpose for implementation. Character detail looks too poor to implement facial expressions without making a smile look creepy.

The good about it is that anyone who wants to do journalism and live news pod casts, this can be the go to tech to deliver the news or do a animal documentary or a investigative piece on the black market and illegal drug production.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
My criticisms:

The faceware thing, Its cool but I have to question why time was devoted to putting it in and showing it NOW. Why not put it off to down the road some time in a patch focused on character stuff? I do like the camera though, looks good and seems very functional. Having said that, looking around the cockpit alone may be worth it. It certainly will help look at those displays.

The mission was almost the same as was shown last year. Lots of scripting and very cringe dialogue. Why not just play one of the missions normally and let people see how it goes? I don't care about the crash that happened. Parking the connie away from the wreck for sake of drama was also stupid, players won't do that unless they are forced to by environment or hostile player factors.

It was a short presentation overall. If you follow AtV at all you pretty much already knew and had seen all this except the Idris stuff. This year didn't feel like as much was shown compared to last year.

The Good:

Huge expanses to look at and go through
1,000 Km diameter moons = 3.1 mill square km to explore per moon.
Improved asteroid fields
Delamar and Levski landing zone
Daymar and presumably the other 2 moons
Idris fight and railgun action
Player comms
Mobiglass rework
600i

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Hello TESTies!

The ability to look around the cockpit using the facetracking was the bigger feature here. I
with regard to the FaceWare, just the ability to look around the cockpit without fumbling at the keyboard and trying to keep my eyes on the screen is a big deal. Definite killer app! Sorry, TrackIR!

re: game crashing, this is *alpha* 3.0. They really should call it 4.0 or something else, this has way more ideas and infrastructure than the "3.0" they showed last year.

I'm sure the haters are going to pile hate on it, but this was a pretty darn remarkable demo. The only thing that would have made today better was if I had $400 in change hidden in my couch cushions, but, alas...

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Hello TESTies!

Now I have to go ponder if getting rid of my Pheonix for the 600 Explorer is a good idea or not.
The 600i is a kind of a glass cannon. S3 powerplant, 2 x S2 shielding and 4 x S2 Thrusters does not invoke a lot of confidence especially at 180,000 Kg weight which is similar to the Carrack though not as big.

Its weaponry seems impressive but I'm afraid since its size and weight work kinda against its agility, it is at most a blockade runner and get out of dodge kinda vehicle versus a phoenix that can probably stand its ground and take a pounding while dishing it out.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
- Potential and on-the-fence backers will not come rushing in, they will continue to wait.
If they are more concerned with one crash during a Live demonstration than everything else they saw, then so what. Let them wait.

you can hear the anti Star Citizen journalists frantically typing away
The key word --> ANTI ( It will make no difference what is presented).

In-game player comms are great!
The ability to look around the cockpit using the facetracking was the bigger feature here.
Oh yeah........On both accounts.
I am now seriously considering getting TrackHat & I can't even afford that. Oh well, who needs food anyway?

We can all appreciate CIG wanting to do a live demo, but honestly, with a game this buggy, and a demo of a yet unreleased 3.0 in front of 40,000 Twitch viewers, I would have played it safe and done a prerecorded demo.
I strongly disagree with you on this topic.
I have watched & been sorely disappointed by Demos for over 30 years.

As a Backer (2013) I want & expect to see actual game play as it is being developed. After all, we are part of that development by funding & testing the game as it is being coded. I don't care at all about 'fence-sitters'. It has been my experience that 90%+ of Gamers never participate in Alpha testing BECAUSE of the crashes.These people can wait until full release, probably in 2 years, and pay a great deal more and know nothing about how to play. Like they always do anyway & always will. They are no lose at this point. They will join eventually.

The ugly part will unfold over the next few days as the tabloid journalists pump out their clickbait articles about how Star Citizen is a $150M failure.
Don't read them or pay attention to anyone that does. Simple. 'F' them.
As I see it, this is my game and if someone does not like it, they can go to Hell. I don't care. If fact, I am better off without them playing Star Citizen. I never played EVE Online because I didn't like it. However, I didn't bad mouth it constantly to the people that did like it.

Overall reaction from existing backers is extremely positive, everybody I have spoken to is very pleased and excited to get their hands on 3.0.
I am delighted to hear that.

Ask yourself one very simple question.......Of what value is the Pheonix in game or for your play style????
Is it an Explorer? A Cargo Hauler? A Fighting ship? Or is it just a fancy bit of wood & chrome for you to show off at least twice?
When the game launches, what will you actually do with it???????

I'm sure the haters are going to pile hate on it, but this was a pretty darn remarkable demo. The only thing that would have made today better was if I had $400 in change hidden in my couch cushions, but, alas...
Absolutely.
Hey, I didn't think about the cushions. Thanks. Tearing the couch (settee in England) apart now. :laughing:

If anyone actually took the time to read my comments, you may have noticed a somewhat 'hardened' attitude.

I have heard the same Damn bitching for over 4 years now and quite frankly I am tired of listening to the whiners. I have waited over 30 years for this experience (not a game) and now that is approaching, I intend to enjoy it to the fullest with as many friends as wish to play with me.

I frankly no longer give a DAMN about the Whiners., Cry Babies (I spent money that I didn't have to so I am entitled) or just plain Haters.

Nobody ever ask you, or made you, spend more than $45 USD.
If you did, then Adult up and stop crying about it.
I have never spent over $40 USD for any game in my life but I have Pledged $1000 for SC and spent over a $1000 for Hardware.
Yes, I needed a new system in 2013. It was my choice and I am very Proud & Happy about it.

I find it interesting that people Bitch about getting their moneys worth quickly enough from CIG but every day they discuss what new WhizBang Hardware (fresh off the press) they are buying - Threadrippers, ToeStompers, GobSmackers etc etc etc......spending thousands of dollars to be the first. I bet they are Googling TrackIR right now. Oh and lets not forget all those pretty blinkie lights INSIDE the now see-through case so we can look at them instead of the monitor. Is your computer desk starting to look like a Bordello? Ha. Ha. Maybe that's the point. Hummmm.
Damn, I AM old. The 'game' is at least 2 years from completion and people are going broke now. I will never understand this.
btw - By the time SC launches your GobSmacker will be outdated. Just saying.

I have known for a long time now what was coming.
(And I know what else to expect in the coming Months - Don't you wish you did?)
Within a couple more weeks, Star Citizen shall begin with 3.0. I look forward to playing & having tons of FUN with you all.
You are welcome to join me on this GREAT ADVENTURE.
CityBoppin & BarHoppin Among many other wonderous things.
See you in the 'Verse.
Or not, your choice.

WOW, this has been some shitpost. Feels good to have said my peace. Ha. Ha.
@Blind Owl Is this what Shitposting feels like?

Last edited:

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
The ugly was ugly enough for me to not recommend the game quite yet. Not because it sucks, but because if I was to point my friends into the direction of that presentation they would laugh and turn.

I think its time to take a step back and let the waters calm, but man oh man the blow back is gonna be bad. Those bugs all week were glaring and very disconcerting.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
FaceWare, I don't care, but I like not having to buy a TrackIR, so I'll get a camera. Idris railgun awesome, enough said. Origin 600 left me disgusted with how horrendously ugly they made a luxury ship, and totally dumped Origin styling in favor of Anvil looks. Hopefully they will get rid of the current 600 abomination and replace it with the sleek, sexy, super-cool Origin lines and components we've come to know and love. Otherwise, I'm going to break into fits of laughter every time I see some one flying around the verse in a 600, trying to look elite. Anybody who comes cruising up to the local Cry-Astro in a 600i expecting to see looks of jealousy is going to be surprised to see everyone falling on the deck from laughing so hard at their giant turd. CIG floats a Pacer, lol. I mean, just look at the bow, it looks like a cow's nose with the tongue sticking out. The hull looks like a bloated Hurricane that died and is now floating belly up.

Honestly, though, I'm sure its an excellent ship and will be wonderful to travel or explore in as long as you don't bump into the elegant styling and cut yourself or break a bone. If I had $400 I'd buy the 600i Explorer warbond and name it Seafoam and pray it gets fixed like the Herald did.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If they are more concerned with one crash during a Live demonstration than everything else they saw, then so what. Let them wait.

I am now seriously considering getting TrackHat & I can't even afford that. Oh well, who needs food anyway?

As a Backer (2013) I want & expect to see actual game play as it is being developed. After all, we are part of that development by funding & testing the game as it is being coded. I don't care at all about 'fence-sitters'. It has been my experience that 90%+ of Gamers never participate in Alpha testing BECAUSE of the crashes.These people can wait until full release, probably in 2 years, and pay a great deal more and know nothing about how to play. Like they always do anyway & always will. They are no lose at this point. They will join eventually.

As I see it, this is my game and if someone does not like it, they can go to Hell. I don't care. If fact, I am better off without them playing Star Citizen. I never played EVE Online because I didn't like it. However, I didn't bad mouth it constantly to the people that did like it.

Ask yourself one very simple question.......Of what value is the Pheonix in game or for your play style????
Is it an Explorer? A Cargo Hauler? A Fighting ship? Or is it just a fancy bit of wood & chrome for you to show off at least twice?

Absolutely.
Hey, I didn't think about the cushions. Thanks. Tearing the couch (settee in England) apart now. :laughing:

If anyone actually took the time to read my comments, you may have noticed a somewhat 'hardened' attitude.

I have heard the same Damn bitching for over 4 years now and quite frankly I am tired of listening to the whiners. I have waited over 30 years for this experience (not a game) and now that is approaching, I intend to enjoy it to the fullest with as many friends as wish to play with me.

I frankly no longer give a DAMN about the Whiners., Cry Babies (I spent money that I didn't have to so I am entitled) or just plain Haters.

I have never spent over $40 USD for any game in my life but I have Pledged $1000 for SC and spent over a $1000 for Hardware.
Yes, I needed a new system in 2013. It was my choice and I am very Proud & Happy about it.

I find it interesting that people Bitch about getting their moneys worth quickly enough from CIG but every day they discuss what new WhizBang Hardware (fresh off the press) they are buying - Threadrippers, ToeStompers, GobSmackers etc etc etc......spending thousands of dollars to be the first. I bet they are Googling TrackIR right now. Oh and lets not forget all those pretty blinkie lights INSIDE the now see-through case so we can look at them instead of the monitor. Is your computer desk starting to look like a Bordello? Ha. Ha. Maybe that's the point. Hummmm.
Damn, I AM old. The 'game' is at least 2 years from completion and people are going broke now. I will never understand this.

Within a couple more weeks, Star Citizen shall begin with 3.0. I look forward to playing & having tons of FUN with you all.
See you in the 'Verse.
Or not, your choice.

Best rant I've heard in weeks if not ever.
No. No not at all. I'm sorry old friend, you failed to shitpost. What you did was post quality contend in an aggressive manner, directed to a group of entitled little shits. Kudos to you good sir. Kudos to you. Huzzah!

EDIT: corrected some drunk typing.

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
FaceWare, I don't care, but I like not having to buy a TrackIR, so I'll get a camera. Idris railgun awesome, enough said. Origin 600 left me disgusted with how horrendously ugly they made a luxury ship, and totally dumped Origin styling in favor of Anvil looks. Hopefully they will get rid of the current 600 abomination and replace it with the sleek, sexy, super-cool Origin lines and components we've come to know and love. Otherwise, I'm going to break into fits of laughter every time I see some one flying around the verse in a 600, trying to look elite. Anybody who comes cruising up to the local Cry-Astro in a 600i expecting to see looks of jealousy is going to be surprised to see everyone falling on the deck from laughing so hard at their giant turd. CIG floats a Pacer, lol. I mean, just look at the bow, it looks like a cow's nose with the tongue sticking out. The hull looks like a bloated Hurricane that died and is now floating belly up.

Honestly, though, I'm sure its an excellent ship and will be wonderful to travel or explore in as long as you don't bump into the elegant styling and cut yourself or break a bone. If I had $400 I'd buy the 600i Explorer warbond and name it Seafoam and pray it gets fixed like the Herald did.
I'm a DRAKE fan and I love the new Origin ship :)

Must be something in the water

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank

Absolutely.

See you in the 'Verse.
Or not, your choice.

Read the whole thing. Even about the Threadrippers. I agree 100% and the only thing I can add to that is I'm happy to be able to watch all of this stuff happen.

I really enjoyed the presentation and I was amazed by the face features. With what CIG already had done for their actors, it wasn't much for them to have that other company push the technology to be able to work for our citizens. It's going to really push the immersion.

Forgot your password?