• Total voters

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Here is my 5min pitch:

It took Rockstar 5yrs, 1000 people and $272M ($137M for development and $128 for marketing) to release GTA V.

This was from an established studio, with existing staff, artists, writers, codemonkeys and offices.

Star Citizen has no game engine capable of doing what this game is envisioned to do. There is no previous or older version of the game to build off. Everything we are getting is new. To do this there are 400 employees in 4 offices working their asses off to develop something which has never existed before.

Star Citizen started with zero, just an idea. Everybody needed to be hired, offices needed to be rented, artists needed to be found. I don't even consider 2013 to count as a year of development. Most of what was created, like the original hangars for example got tossed out the window when more talented artists came on board and made a superior version. 2014 was the year when it really kicked off with several offices and more in-house staff doing the grunt work.

To that end its only been about 3yrs at full steam, so 2019 would be the target year if its comparable to what Rockstar did with GTA V.

Additionally the difference with Star Citizen is the open development model where every single misstep, bug and wrong turn in development is broadcast out into the world for all to see.

We did not see anything about GTA V until it was released, there was no weekly show keeping us informed about the state of the game. There was simply an announcement that the game was being made, then the release.

Bottom line, Star Citizen is a scam, give me your ships.
Damnit you beat me to it you forgot to mention GTA V also already had pre developed code and engine to work off along with previous assets. I usually use this as my primary argument about SC still being in development. Another good title to use is FFXIV that was in production for almost 10 years. They did not announce how much the project cost for the first failed version(which everyone bought and was disappointed over because it was still rushed even after 10 years of production.). People forget what it takes to build a game from the ground up especially when you are building a game that does stuff that no other game has ever done before such as this faceware technology.

EDIT: I also almost forgot to mention FFXIV almost bankrupted Square Enix.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
In the big world of non-test members.. there are many trolls.. many many trolls.. when the game is released they will buy it and they will own nothing and they will make mistakes.. and they will be sorry cuz they will be all alone and people will kill them.. repeatedly.. and they will cry.. :slight_smile:
Isnt this all of us? I plan to surround myself with NPCS to fill my void

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Here is my 5min pitch:

It took Rockstar 5yrs, 1000 people and $272M ($137M for development and $128 for marketing) to release GTA V.

This was from an established studio, with existing staff, artists, writers, codemonkeys and offices.

Star Citizen has no game engine capable of doing what this game is envisioned to do. There is no previous or older version of the game to build off. Everything we are getting is new. To do this there are 400 employees in 4 offices working their asses off to develop something which has never existed before.

Star Citizen started with zero, just an idea. Everybody needed to be hired, offices needed to be rented, artists needed to be found. I don't even consider 2013 to count as a year of development. Most of what was created, like the original hangars for example got tossed out the window when more talented artists came on board and made a superior version. 2014 was the year when it really kicked off with several offices and more in-house staff doing the grunt work.

To that end its only been about 3yrs at full steam, so 2019 would be the target year if its comparable to what Rockstar did with GTA V.

Additionally the difference with Star Citizen is the open development model where every single misstep, bug and wrong turn in development is broadcast out into the world for all to see.

We did not see anything about GTA V until it was released, there was no weekly show keeping us informed about the state of the game. There was simply an announcement that the game was being made, then the release.

Alright. You convinced me. What email address do we send these ships to?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Here is my 5min pitch:

I see what you did there.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Here is my 5min pitch:

You took the words right out of my mouth, the only thing I would add to this is: Even GTA V released late. It missed it's launch date*, and that was from an established studio, so any original backers bitching about not having it by 2013 or whenever can GTFO as far as i'm concerned.

*This is not a criticism of Rockstar, it is to put into context what even a long-lived highly successful studio with 10 offices across the globe is up against.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
You took the words right out of my mouth, the only thing I would add to this is: Even GTA V released late. It missed it's launch date*, and that was from an established studio, so any original backers bitching about not having it by 2013 or whenever can GTFO as far as i'm concerned.

*This is not a criticism of Rockstar, it is to put into context what even a long-lived highly successful studio with 10 offices across the globe is up against.
You forgot to state being late and SUCESSFUL. If they had rushed it out the door by the "Due by Date" it would have ended up being another Gauntlet Seven Sorrows....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet:_Seven_Sorrows

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The reason it is so easy to doubt Chris Roberts and the team is because they do make mistakes, sometimes like star marine they can be quite large ones. So you can find areas where without doubt money from backers has been wasted. I also have no doubt that he is getting a fee which is not unreasonable.

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
I agree with @Radegast74, @Printimus and many others, stopped caring about what others think about SC long ago.

I mainly browse /r/starcitizen for my SC related needs, and we all know how polarized are opinions there. Between the fanboys (me included) and the He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named trolls, there is no middle ground except for the rest of the world, who literally give a flying fuck.

On second thought... there is a fourth group, people with a tangential knowledge of SC coming from gaming tabloids and websites. They mostly agree with the vaporware version, because sensationalism is fun.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

^ Exactly! and we are even overlooking the fact that, before there was a GTA V, they had a blueprint (and likely some pre-existing game engine tools) in the form of GTA IV...

Our glorious reader is right, I don't even count 2013 in the tally of years.

One more thing/incoherent thought, I think there is a lot of depth to the game that isn't getting any airtime (like the economy) because at this point it is all rather dry, and the majority of players want to just pew pew pew. I also think that stuff like the Bengal carrier, if they dribbled out info in bits and pieces, would totally ruin the surprise.

tl;dr --> echoing @Montoya
"Star Citizen is a scam, so go and *gift* me your ships..."

Panzertard

Captain
Aug 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Panzertard
"SC is waporware".
---
Of course it is. All the ATV videos with code editing and showcasing, the bughunter videos with onscreen code, the gamescom showcases have all been faked. Photoshopped. Nothing has been produced.
Your 2.6.3 is an elaborate scam. You're imaging things on your PC harddrive.

And all of those other titles such as Elite Dangerous, GTA, The Witcher are evidence of this, because they spent no time on developing them - they just magically appeared in the shops.

SC is a fraud - the transparency of developing reports and appearance of progress is to make you believe in the scam.
No serious software company would do this in real life.

I'm clearly the stupid guy here who believes in 3.0

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
It's soo hard for me to not to get triggered about this, I like drunk stupid.. i don't like asshole stupid.
In the first 5 minutes of video being posted live (or something like that) I see ignorant comments like these

I don't know what triggers me more... the dumb comment, or the 10 likes of the comment.

.... I need therapy ... lol

Forgot your password?