Give me your Anthem feedback!

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I was plagued with the infinite loading problem, and I also had random freezes in the middle of the fight, so I didn't get very far in experimenting with the game.
I got very familiar with Ctrl+Shift+Esc and force closing the exe.

From what I got to experience, the little snippet of the story I got to see was interesting. I'm keen on finding out more about the universe, but knowing BioWare they shouldn't disappoint too much.

As for the gameplay, as sum1 said, I'm probably spoiled by Destiny2 and feel unsatisfied with the gunplay. They don't feel powerful enough, and the synergy isn't really there. I don't feel like I'm doing much and I seem to be dying a lot initially because of that. Maybe with stronger weapons that you unlock later on, it may change, but from the few I've seen, Assault rifle is alright, SMG is pretty awesome up close, the marksman rifle is weak... unless I can 2 tap heads, but it's not as easily done vs in Destiny2. Didn't get to try the pistols or Sniper Rifles. Was going to, but the game got stuck on loading again and I just gave up.

The movement felt bad initially, but once I got used to it, it became much better... again, probably spoiled by Destiny2.
The first mission was alright, albeit being super confused in the "vault"? with the 3 colored portals and the shield bubble thinggy. We (our group of 4 randoms) were just lost on what to do. Was there a pattern we missed? an indication of what color/shape we should choose on which portal? until I just tried to melee the shield, and that seemed to work?! There's no indication anywhere as what to do... I don't want hand-holding throughout the entire thing, but at least give us an idea of what we should be doing?

I'll wait for reviews on release and see if I want to play it further or not.
Been burned by EA too much.

Customization seems quite vast. I haven't unlocked the other Javelins so I only played with the Ranger, but I've seen other players in Colossus and Storm, and they do play quite differently. I probably will spend 2 hours fine tuning the first Javelin, and then just put everything black and yellow in the others like I do with other games.

For now, I got Ace Combat 7 that I'm going to be spending most of my time on...
There is no such thing as being spoiled by things that are well made. Its called enjoying things done right :smile: and appreciating well-designed things. Being spoiled should never be a thing. in regards to this. Well made games should be the rule, not the exception.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
pattern we missed? an indication of what color/shape we should choose on which portal? until I just tried to melee the shield, and that seemed to work?! There's no indication anywhere as what to do... I don't want hand-holding throughout the entire thing, but at least give us an idea of what we should be doing?
Had me stumped for awhile too. The symbols were hidden close by emanating a faint light. Pretty cool feeling when I found out tbh.

Reactions: supitza

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
There is no such thing as being spoiled by things that are well made. Its called enjoying things done right :smile: and appreciating well-designed things. Being spoiled should never be a thing. in regards to this. Well made games should be the rule, not the exception.
To be honest, I haven't been completely satisfied with a game in a very long time. I used to think my standards were too high or that I had unrealistic expectations, but it turned out that most of the games that came out the last few years are just very bad. I can't help but wonder where the gaming industry is heading.
Had me stumped for awhile too. The symbols were hidden close by emanating a faint light. Pretty cool feeling when I found out tbh.
Oh, so there is a clue somewhere. I just remembered the order they were in when the Manifold opened up and blindly reproduced the setup every time.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
As for the gameplay, as sum1 said, I'm probably spoiled by Destiny2 and feel unsatisfied with the gunplay. They don't feel powerful enough, and the synergy isn't really there. I don't feel like I'm doing much and I seem to be dying a lot initially because of that. Maybe with stronger weapons that you unlock later on, it may change, but from the few I've seen, Assault rifle is alright, SMG is pretty awesome up close, the marksman rifle is weak... unless I can 2 tap heads, but it's not as easily done vs in Destiny2. Didn't get to try the pistols or Sniper Rifles. Was going to, but the game got stuck on loading again and I just gave up.
Amen, brother, I will say, the Devastator Sniper Rifle, and the Blastback "heavy pistol" (hand cannon) was very fun to use, It is like packing a Duke mk44 and the Izanagi's burden with the sniper rifle causing a massive explosion on impact. When I got a level 19 (max level one in the beta) It was doing 12k to the boss in the Mine of the Tyrant mission. and the explosion was big and powerful enough to clear out groups of minions, or other other key targets.

Papa Malo

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
PapaMalo
Generally loved it. I have played Destiny and Warframe for years and definitely appreciate the much sneakier AI. I don't think I've ever been so regularly flanked while under suppressing fire by another game AI so many times. I never got shanked by a boss, but always some trash mob sitting on my 6 o'clock waiting for me to execute the back the fuck off at 20% health maneuver.

Shit that needs fixing other them the obvious...

Inventory, Menus, basically the entire GUI was crap on PC.

Semi Auto weapons, especially pistols seemed completely useless, I am not sure why anyone should carry anything other then a LMG or heavier.

I really wish they had voice in the demo.. it seems crit for co-op and it better not be broke on day 1.

Made lvl 15... did all the quests, areas and PoI's. I still plan to spend a bit o' time in this game.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Question to the overmind:

Can you bring melee only in Anthem through the Interceptor-abilities? I do not enjoy shooter gameplay, however i would not mind if it it less or around 30% of all actions done (and the rest being melee and defense moves / abilities)

I have just tested out Warframe and it allows for such builds, so i am looking into Anthem.

Reactions: sum1

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1

Can you bring melee only in Anthem through the Interceptor-abilities? I do not enjoy shooter gameplay, however i would not mind if it it less or around 30% of all actions done (and the rest being melee and defense moves / abilities)

I have just tested out Warframe and it allows for such builds, so i am looking into Anthem.
You can build an interceptor for melee and melee abilities only, you can also build a storm for throwing ranged abilities only, so ya if you don't want to shoot much you can play this as a melee or ability based classes. I know I'm not the overmind, but I know the answer. (and maybe become the overmind wink, wink, nudge, nudge. if you know what I mean)

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
To be honest, I haven't been completely satisfied with a game in a very long time. I used to think my standards were too high or that I had unrealistic expectations, but it turned out that most of the games that came out the last few years are just very bad. I can't help but wonder where the gaming industry is heading.

Oh, so there is a clue somewhere. I just remembered the order they were in when the Manifold opened up and blindly reproduced the setup every time.
Its our job as gamers to maintain the standard that is normal and not let recent flops in the past years to become a new standard. As new gamers continue to come into the fold of gaming they are introduced to these lower standards as if they are normal. We need to teach and educate that this isnt an acceptable standard that everyone should welcome with open arms as a normality.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Really true about Ubisoft but they have been pumping new content into For Honour last few months. Balancing and in game pricing aside you can have alot of fun in there now
Oh I agree I actually started playing For Honor these past few weeks and its 100% better as well as the 1st Division its 100% better than its launch but it does not change the fact that many games are unfinished, unpolished and just plain garbage when released and its become a standard for companies to now develop and ship games fast so they can rake in the $$ and start a new project and then proceed to beta test a live game for 6 months to year to get it right, again I agree many games are better 6 months to 1 year after release but is this the standard we should be accepting when shelling out 60$ for a finished product? Its certainly not my standard and I will call it out every time I see it, just like FO76 might be great 6 months or 1 year later it was junk on release day.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
👆 money grabbing swine!
there is a bad trend of games released unfinished lately, at a full price launch you shouldnt have to wait 6+ months to get the content. The games that fall into this heresy tend to be MMO based, get players in and they can make their own fun while we finish the game

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I also think because there is a lack of quality games people are quick to buy just about anything because many of us are unhappy or just bored with current games out there, I have been playing WoW since the original beta and only twice I can remember quitting WoW 2 months into an expansion, Cata and now BFA were so bad in my opinion I literally cancelled my sub 2 months in and normally a WoW expansion will keep people going for well over a year before that feeling sets in. I just don't remember games being so bad this often and now because every single developer offers a early access or some kind of bonus loot or extra offer if you pre-purchase many of us including myself are sucked into buying these crap games, its fricken genius how these people managed to suck us in and we are a pretty damn smart group of people, the gaming community is not made up of idiots or inexperienced base even in Montoya's video he mentions the age groups interested in Anthem here are over 25. So I have said it before until "we" the community myself included learn to not bite on the pre-purchase goodies and wait for actual game reviews and feedback before purchasing this trend will never change and only get worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza and Scape

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane

All javelins have melee capabilities. :-p you press V and... fun...

I played mainly with the Colossus and it gives you weapons and equipment with melee synergy. Not sure it if is the best one in this subject, but...

The melee damage of my colosus, without melee damage amplifiers, could do a lot of harm to special elite enemies after you had crushed their shields. (like finish them with 4 melee hits)

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Just FYI, current demo is very stable, has all javs unlocked and I started with all my stuff from previous demo.

Reactions: Phil

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Got a couple of hours in on the new demo build before I had to log off to try and sleep before work, so far the controls feel improved and flight is easier, but still some noticeable issues with mouse movement feeling sluggish in combat. Also still noticed some slow loading times or hangups requiring me to alt+f4 out of the game and restart.

Still looks like I am sitting this one out, while it looks beautiful and I am sure Bioware put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into it, it still just doesn't feel like it is its own game and just a ME/Destiny hybrid that isn't where it should be. I may revisit it later after some patches and updates, but I don't feel a draw to play it.

But for those who enjoy it, go kick some ass Freelancer!

Agrath

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 27, 2015
RSI Handle
bentst
Played the public demo for awhile and here is my comments

- Combat
Feels ok, but choppy at times. Its pretty much like warframe but slower.

- Flight mechanics
Had some problems flying, but got better after some time. Did crash alot but thats what we are here for.

- Controls
Controls was good

- Environment design
Very pretty environments both outside and in the hub. Did not bother to explorer the hub, just followed the marker.
The most memoriable place was a place with stairs, stayed there to study the brics in the wall.

- Sound design
The hub was more quiet than I excepted

- frame rates
Had around 50-60 at ultra but it felt weird sometimes, not nearly as smooth as warframe.

- coop play
like warframe

- Immersion/engagement
like warframe

- Replayability
like warframe I guess I will get bored by this kind of missions. Was hoping for more open world territorial fighting. Guess I will wait and see what the division 2 offers here.

- Loot system
I had to press F to many times after missions

- Progression system

- Customization

- How much you hate EA because EA bad man!
I don't hate EA, they just haven't made the gametypes I am after. Last game I bought was battlefield hardline, and I have just barely played it.

- If you do not own the game, will you be buying it on launch?
No I will wait and see how it develops.

Other comments
City felt dead. Npc did not do much
Would have been fun if the open world was persistent ongoing with monsters trying to capture territories. And holding territories meant a stream of incoming ressources which kind depended on the territory type. These resources could have been used to craft new things.

Forgot your password?