Give me your Anthem feedback!

Ganji

Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Ganjieh
In a way Anthem is Mass Effect game we wanted ( I hope ).
watched some streams, I liked what I saw for the most part.
I am willing to roll the dice and support Bioware with this game.
Hope they pull trough, and keep going.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Agent_Mothman

Space Marshal
Aug 8, 2014
RSI Handle
CubCadet1972
- Combat: Pretty good. some of the trash mob AI is a bit dumb, but overall, combat is fun
- Flight mechanics: Not designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind. Tweaking the mouse acceleration helps
- Controls: fairly intuitive, but the fact it was made as a console game with PC tacked on after is obvious
- Environment design: Gorgeous
- Sound design: Well done. I wish AR and pistol sounds had more weight to them
- frame rates: I haven't dipped below 60fps past the first day of the demo
- coop play: Playing with Rando's is a mixed bag, but hopefully once more people use voip, or more TEST'ies get in, it wiul be better
- Immersion/engagement: Pretty good.
- Replayability: I can see myself playing this all weekend, most every weekend
- Loot system: Tried and true. I like that you have to go back to base to find out what you got, it stops on site min/maxing in game
- Progression system: Standard leveling, tried and true
- Customization: Absolute. Heaven.
- How much you hate EA because EA bad man!: EA BAD!!! Yeah, they really went overboard trying to monitize games, but hopefully they have learned something.
- If you do not own the game, will you be buying it on launch?: Legion of Dawn Edition Pre-ordered months ago.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
people might not want to pay the cash up front for the preorder as it's not a small chunk of change, however a decent alternative is to subscribe right before early launch. For 20 bucks you get to mess around for a month, then if you want you can shell out.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
-is this forced co-op missions only? Is there a way to do story missions solo?
Seems that way, you can get lucky and get into freeplay by yourself or way off from the other three randoms. I did for about 3 hours of freeplay the other day.
However.. I'm telling ya... some missions get too hard solo... the game seems designed to require a team outside of freeplay.

-is this the same deal as in Destiny where you got one hub, an open world to do nothing in (apart from the usual random kill-all quests and events), and separate instanced story missions?
Seems like it

-can you do proper doubletaps to kill an enemy or is this way too fast, messy and chaotic and every enemy is a bulletsponge?
Strong enemies are bullet sponges at this point, weak enemies only take about 3 to 4 hits. And it can get a little nuts on last waves.

After reading all this I'm definitely not paying a cent until it gets on origin basic. Even then, if the answer to my first question is yes, I'm not getting this ever.
Yea unless you really want to waste time on this flying iron man suits that are less nimble, less powerful, and with godlike mobs that eat damage for breakfast.. yea don't get this game.
I pre-ordered like a dumbass but thinking about keeping it as I like the gearing up and customization.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Dumb question lads: anyone have a spare demo key laying around? I gave mine away, and there may be a fix where if I create a second account, use a code, start the game, it may bypass whatever is blocking my main account.
Day 3 of troubleshooting. Still can't even launch the game.
Check your inbox.

SpacePillz

Lieutenant
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
FilthyPillz
Really liking the gameplay so far. I just started playing a couple hours ago so I missed all the server issues (maybe?). I played through both missions and the game has amazing graphics and solid combat mechanics. I do not like the menu layout at all and the flying is a bit wonky. For a demo it's not bad, but I really need to see a finished product before I can decide how much I want to invest into this game. I got it for free thanks to an RTX purchase - so I'll definitely be playing it - but as it stands now I would not purchase this out of pocket. I love Mass Effect and Bioware so I'm crossing my fingers.

P.S. Why tf is there no in game text to chat for a pc game? If there is going to be raid mechanics and big boss battles, catch up with the times and let us spam our teammates.

Last edited:

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
And it happened again with this f*****g game.
I'm in the middle of a mission, fighting mobs, when a wild loading screen appears. What the actual f**k is there to load? NOTHING. Absolutely nothing.
I've been trying to play 1 damned mission for the last hour and a half.
First of all, Bioware needs to make silencing the relics a bit more obvious, because the big blinking radars at the top of the screen apparently aren't enough to make the less intelligent players actually go and pick up the damned things, so that I don't have to go and pick up all 8 of the fragments myself while they sit and look at each other like imbeciles.
Second, if I'm going to do that and actually pick them all up and waste 10 minutes of my life, don't make a loading screen pop out of fucking nowhere when there's no transition to be made and nothing to load.
Also, make sitting on the point control platforms more obvious. Out of 4 players in each game, I seem to be the only one actually standing on the point and not wondering around like a headless chicken-moron while the game is ACTIVELY TELLING ME to sit on the fucking platform. It actually says "Freelander, stand in the middle of the platform". And still nobody does.
I'm so mad.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
On that same note, I hate bullet sponge enemies, so I am hoping that near the end game you are powerful enough to not have to spend 5min shooting a minor boss.
- Combat: I would like a better melee, as the one in destiny, which at least aims to the enemy.

- Flight mechanics: Cool. Not hard to master. They have to polish it a bit (the fly close to water mysterious instant cool-down to 0). Would like longer flight times. Like x2 or x4

- Controls: Fine after you get used to them. You have to adjust the mouse sensibilities. Ah, yes, underwater is BAD. Not sure if it is because of the darkness... but underwater is a mess of gameplay in the demo.

- Environment design: The underwater is too DARK!!!!. IT is a shame the graphical downgrade from the first game footage. It is nice the map have not many unconnected zones. I would like longer fly time.

- Sound design: i like it, but there are some ambient noises annoying to third persons.
- frame rates: game was perfect for me. 50 to 70 in exteriors, 100+ in interiors.

- coop play: Cool but they could allow better control to where you connect. Also, there are some bugs like the one "if you enter the game during the spider boss fight youa ppear outside of the fight, stuck in a enclosed place. Ah, yes, it does not have CHAT :-P

- Immersion/engagement: hmmm... the out of mission content need a lot of work. The video of the character dressing the javelin, at the time the helmet is placed, I would had added something static so you have the impression of the helmet coming to you instead of your neck being enlarged as like a tortoise.
- Replayability: it is fun, and I hope it have a much bigger map than the one shown in the demo, including the darkened areas.
- Loot system: CRAP. Another like destiny. Would had like something different. Also, something like auto melting of items clearly inferior.
- Progression system: hmmm.
- Customization: nice. Maybe it could have a propulsion section.
- How much you hate EA because EA bad man!: moderately a lot :slight_smile:
- If you do not own the game, will you be buying it on launch? I have purchased it already... but we are in time of a refund! :slight_smile: so I will most probably keep it.

@Montoya , about bullet sponges, the weapon layout and some tricks can reduce that time considerably:
* Use of the super movement (x key) (I was not using it but just by chance because I did not knew about its existence or which key or when to use it)
* Weak points. The harder to see for me were the titan and those big dudes with shields. The big dudes with the shield tend to show their right hand when close to you. The titans, when they are charging their attacks and their arms are covered in flames, shot the arms and you can not only greatly damage them but sometimes cancel their attacks.
* Use of anti character weapons (Colossus have a 1000+ single hit railgun. Lvl 19 blue railgun does close to 2000). I have seen 3000+ damage with a railgun hit (and was with just the 1250 damage one!)
* Elite with shields... attack attack attack, shot them down, attack, kick their heads in the floor, etc. Some of those elites are considerably weak to melee.

Check my next video, minute 36 (and around 1 minute) (with an only 1250 damage railgun): EDITED: HERE YOU ARE!!! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/370936302

Finally blue maxed (but will change a pair of things). :slight_smile: this character is a true killer! Best at close to mid range but can snipe from afar with the railgun. The lightning coil is terribly GOOD. 208 damage per second? it last maybe 8 or 10 seconds. 2 seconds of cool-down. It fires automatically including during flight or while using the shield. (check the video, LOL)
1548623594694.png

1548628685027.png

1548630485858.png

Last edited:

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
a lot of you guys keep talking bullet sponge but completely neglect the fact this game is intended to be rpg first >.> RPGS you have high health pools. This is token rpgs. The spider boss as the storm javelin was a completely joke imo. I just hovered above it shooting and reloading, didnt interact with it. Seems like they didnt balance the boss fights very well. The flight controls when you try to make tight turns fails pretty bad with the mouse acceleration.

The gunplay is pretty basic, nothing to call home about. Point and shoot, sadly I was hoping more from abilitys and using different things with the mechs, but it seems it will be pretty limited in just tacking on small abilities. Was hoping for more flash, the combo feature is pretty okay? Not to sure it makes a difference to the point where I actively care to make sure im always comboing.

Game looks gorgeous, but the ui is kinda a mess, knowing where you are being shot from and where to looks is kinda messy. If they are going to allow 3rd person they are sticking a little too close to the javelin and need to pull off a little bit. I feel like the FOV slider needs some work. On the note of motion blur, you cant fully turn if off which is annoying.

The game itself is pretty generic to the genre, it doesnt add anything new and doesnt change up the elements, it feels like they played the safe approach instead of adding different things to the game. Destiny is an okay game, but I always wanted more mechanics, more things to do. Faction wars, territorial wars, you can implement building up cities, housing, crafting, different mmo mechanics. There is so much you can do with this genre, it just seems people want to make a generic rpg shooter where you just shoot things and thats all there is to the game. Games now a days for me need more than the cookie cutter builds and need to start mixing and match.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
For me it was...meh... it was ok, but like a lot of EA stuff, I think it’s being rushed out the door and not being given the time needed to polish it correctly.

Also, it felt like a stress test beta, not a demo...one that it failed badly on.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Look, this game doesn't go live for another month, outside of a few crashes and some latency here and there I found my 6-8 hrs of gaming pretty fun, is it perfect? No its a demo things will change before it goes live, is this game the 2019 game of the year? Prolly not but I don't think any of us had that expectation even though a few people sound like their expectations were set a bit high. Is this game on par with Destiny? I think absolutely. Is it on par with Warframe? This is tough because Warframe is free to play with options to buy additional stuff, I don't think as many people would say Warframe is as good as it is if they had to pay 60$ for the original title and extra for DLC and another 40-60$ for the expansion, but that is what made Warframe stand out it was a free to play monster of a game.

All in all I say if your going to be playing Division 2 and don't like to waste $$ then don't spend it on Anthem you are only going to a month out of the game, if you are like me and bored off your ass right now and don't mind blowing the 60$$ then I think this game will keep you happy for the next 30-60 days. And besides the first Division was a huge disaster I always have this fear of Ubisoft ruining it for me after so many previous let downs, Ghost Recon Wildlands, For Honor and the Division were all huge disappointments for me so if Division 2 ends up sucking (which i doubt) I still have Anthem to continue with lmao!!
Really true about Ubisoft but they have been pumping new content into For Honour last few months. Balancing and in game pricing aside you can have alot of fun in there now

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
After playing most of sunday

I liked:
-Got 5 coins from a public event so I guess they are earnable ingame (stuff costs 25 coins in demo but could well be 5000 ingame so might not be as great)
-Flew through a random waterfall into an underwater cave and found a secret chest and a note (which I couldnt read)
-the skills are pretty varied and can impact your playstyle a lot.
-Setting up combos is satisfying

Dont like:
-Have to go back to Tarsis to swap out skill when its not what you expected / has no synergy with your other skill
-Losing control of my character when a text popup appears.
-Crapload of bugs (losing relic after crashing so couldnt finish
-Loading screens (annoying on an SSD, on a console its even worse I imagine)

@supitza Ill play with you buddy so we can both rage at stuff

Come to think of it, I have no idea if there is a clan/guild system in Anthem. Or if EU can play with US. Hm.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
After playing most of sunday

I liked:
-Got 5 coins from a public event so I guess they are earnable ingame (stuff costs 25 coins in demo but could well be 5000 ingame so might not be as great)
-Flew through a random waterfall into an underwater cave and found a secret chest and a note (which I couldnt read)
-the skills are pretty varied and can impact your playstyle a lot.
-Setting up combos is satisfying

Dont like:
-Have to go back to Tarsis to swap out skill when its not what you expected / has no synergy with your other skill
-Losing control of my character when a text popup appears.
-Crapload of bugs (losing relic after crashing so couldnt finish
-Loading screens (annoying on an SSD, on a console its even worse I imagine)

@supitza Ill play with you buddy so we can both rage at stuff

Come to think of it, I have no idea if there is a clan/guild system in Anthem. Or if EU can play with US. Hm.
There is no clan system. If I understood correctly, the thing that gives you weekly bonuses is your top 5 friends from your friendslist: the people that did the most during the last 7 days period (or however long the period is) contribute to your weekly score.
@Bigtimes , hit me up on Feb 1st and let's yell at clouds together.

WaldoWohin

Admiral
Sep 15, 2015
RSI Handle
WaldoWohin
- Combat
Not terrible, a lot of weird burst fire weapons. Do enjoy that sniper rifles can not be "no scoped" fired. Very fluid comabt
- Flight mechanics
Still horrible, very floaty and soft, not all that great especially when underwater.
- Controls
Adequate and easy to use
- Environment design
Some spots in the open world are kind of a "mess", other parts and darn right beautiful
- Sound design
Weapons sound great, there is a few de-sync issue on some of the weapon firing noises with the visuals and actual damage.
- frame rates
straight up garbage in Fort Tarsis
- coop play
Easy to add friends from Origin, the catch up mechanics help a lot with late loaders
- Immersion/engagement
The player character talks....AWESOME
- Replayability
Based on "seen" (not explored) map, there seems to be a lack of content
- Loot system
Random rolls on the inscriptions are nice, and the ability to make Rare (maybe epic) weapons is really cool!
- Progression system
Leveling up seems easy and is not the focus, Love this aspect
- Customization
Might put "fasion"-frame through he ringer someday
- How much you hate EA because EA bad man!
A lot, ME3 ending was super rushed and not good, ME:Andromeda is still a hot mess
- If you do not own the game, will you be buying it on launch?
I am still unsure if I will buy it, I continue to play on the Origin Premiere (or whatever it is called)

Other things to note:
This is built on frostbyte engine. There are a few bugs that exist at the engine level. The big one is random crash to desktops. This is an inherent bug with frostbyte that even DICE (the people who made the engine) can not seem to resolve and will continue to persist for the life of Anthem also.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
A little revision after I had more time to put into the game. A lot of the lagging seemed to be them stress testing, or something, it would happen later in the day when you would think more people were starting to get on from the US west coast. At times this turned the game unplayable. I mean crash, after crash, after crash. server disconnects, or just lagging in combat. (it's really annoying to shoot a guy 5 times, wait for a second then he dies.) but as long as I played earlier it seemed to run fine.

at the end of it all, I really hope they show something better this coming week in way of performance. right now I am on the "buy the $15 origin pass on the 14th-15th, and if the game is still fun in a month buy the full game." train of thought.

WaterShield

Space Marshal
Oct 16, 2015
RSI Handle
WaterShield
And OFC... The no respawn bug.. when it does a timer but doesn't respawn you, not the exact screen I had but close, was just really annoyed here.. for reasons.
View attachment 11800
I think that may have been working as intended. I encountered the same thing during missions and it was only while with a group and in an area that said no re spawn. This would requires team mates to come pick you up (similar to Destiny).

I could also be wrong and you got hit with it elsewhere. However the times I died outside of no re spawn areas it told me a button to push at the bottom of that red graphic... and I could re spawn. Is it known if this is for certain a bug?

Last edited:

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
- Combat
---Wasn't impressed. The gunplay felt very unrewarding. Maybe I'm spoiled by the gunplay in the Divison and Destiny, but I REALLY HATE random bullet deviation. That crap ruins games for people with accurate mouse control. Even tapping semi auto at range isn't accurate. For me, that's a major issue.

- Flight mechanics
---Really awkward with default settings. Once I sat down and really tweaked it I got more comfortable, but still very odd to control with a mouse.

- Controls
---Good enough, plus you can rebind fairly well so no issues there.

- Environment design
---Pretty, but I once again have been spoiled by the Division and Destiny here. Why are there so many damn loading screens when out in the world. First mission has what, 4 loading screens because every time you enter than tunnel thing you get a loading screen. WTF!

- Sound design
---Glorious. Sounded fantastic on an open back headset. Hit hard enough to feel but not so much that it drowned out the clean highs.

- frame rates
---Pathetic. 1700x@4 | 1080ti | 32gb RAM | and unless I was mostly on Low I couldn't hit more than 75 consistently at 1440p. Then on top of that, I don't think I went 2 minutes the entire time I played without rubberbanding issues. Seriously, I blew myself up with the Ranger missile more than enemies due to the rubberbanding.

- coop play
---Could not get the game to load a public game for the first two games. When I finally go into a public game yesterday, I got stuck with either 4 year olds or trolls who wanted to ruin the experience and never had a player stay the entire mission due to connection issues. Would say the jury is still out since it was the demo but really not impressed yet.

- Immersion/engagement
---Fine I guess. With the ability to fly so quickly, you really don't have to fight at all when traveling to and from objectives on a mission. Sort of takes some of the environmental engagement out of the game.

- Replayability
---Took me maybe 6hrs of actual playtime to "finish" the demo. Maybe 5hrs to level 10-15. Assuming the level max is 30 I'd ballpark 25-30hrs to hit max level. So, endgame had better be on point or just a total waste. Story was sort of interesting but you started too late to know what the hell was going on.

- Loot system
---HATE IT!!! Don't give me rewards at the end of a mission. A looter shooter style game lives and dies off of how much you feel you are being rewarded. If you have to wait until the end of the mission to get all of your loot except for the rare drop mid mission, you aren't seeing your progress. As well, if you drop connection midway through or near the end, you don't get the XP OR the loot. WTF is that system? Just drop the dame items outright.

- Progression system
---To small of a game slice to really see how it went. The second mission that had the first "boss" was proof you could cheese the XP a bit. Yeah you get a fair bit of mission XP but I solo'd that mission. So, I couldn't really get through it very quickly. Probably farmed a few hundred kills from a vantage point while slowing killing the boss. Literally leveled from 10.5 to 11.75 in that mission. IDK if kills matter that much but if they do, support roles will level more slowly.

- Customization
---Neat and very well done. We'll see what you can actually do in the full game considering we never actually saw any microtransactions. They claim you can customize for free but they could cut the number of paint "styles" to make you pay more in the full game. Guess we'll find out. I couldn't see any place to change the colors of my weapons, but If you can put a quick vinyl on your javelin why can't you color match your weapons?

- How much you hate EA because EA bad man!
---Fuck EA. Not sure if I really have much faith in Bioware right now either as they aren't even half of the original team.

- If you do not own the game, will you be buying it on launch?
---Hell no. Didn't see anywhere enough to make that decision. And what I did see ran so poorly that I don't have faith that it will be optimized at all by launch.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
A little revision after I had more time to put into the game. A lot of the lagging seemed to be them stress testing, or something, it would happen later in the day when you would think more people were starting to get on from the US west coast. At times this turned the game unplayable. I mean crash, after crash, after crash. server disconnects, or just lagging in combat. (it's really annoying to shoot a guy 5 times, wait for a second then he dies.) but as long as I played earlier it seemed to run fine.

at the end of it all, I really hope they show something better this coming week in way of performance. right now I am on the "buy the $15 origin pass on the 14th-15th, and if the game is still fun in a month buy the full game." train of thought.
note on that, the guy who found out NMS had no multiplayer found out the Anthem is DDOSing itself and causing the issues. That is a very big glaring issue with the experience of the development team. Their game is literally DDoSing itself, how bad at developing do you have to be in order for that to happen >.>

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I was plagued with the infinite loading problem, and I also had random freezes in the middle of the fight, so I didn't get very far in experimenting with the game.
I got very familiar with Ctrl+Shift+Esc and force closing the exe.

From what I got to experience, the little snippet of the story I got to see was interesting. I'm keen on finding out more about the universe, but knowing BioWare they shouldn't disappoint too much.

As for the gameplay, as sum1 said, I'm probably spoiled by Destiny2 and feel unsatisfied with the gunplay. They don't feel powerful enough, and the synergy isn't really there. I don't feel like I'm doing much and I seem to be dying a lot initially because of that. Maybe with stronger weapons that you unlock later on, it may change, but from the few I've seen, Assault rifle is alright, SMG is pretty awesome up close, the marksman rifle is weak... unless I can 2 tap heads, but it's not as easily done vs in Destiny2. Didn't get to try the pistols or Sniper Rifles. Was going to, but the game got stuck on loading again and I just gave up.

The movement felt bad initially, but once I got used to it, it became much better... again, probably spoiled by Destiny2.
The first mission was alright, albeit being super confused in the "vault"? with the 3 colored portals and the shield bubble thinggy. We (our group of 4 randoms) were just lost on what to do. Was there a pattern we missed? an indication of what color/shape we should choose on which portal? until I just tried to melee the shield, and that seemed to work?! There's no indication anywhere as what to do... I don't want hand-holding throughout the entire thing, but at least give us an idea of what we should be doing?

I'll wait for reviews on release and see if I want to play it further or not.
Been burned by EA too much.

Customization seems quite vast. I haven't unlocked the other Javelins so I only played with the Ranger, but I've seen other players in Colossus and Storm, and they do play quite differently. I probably will spend 2 hours fine tuning the first Javelin, and then just put everything black and yellow in the others like I do with other games.

For now, I got Ace Combat 7 that I'm going to be spending most of my time on...

Forgot your password?