Status
Not open for further replies.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Try to bake the card. If your cards didn't have a backplate they might have warped and broke the connection. If it is broken it won't get worse than it is. Preheat oven to 280'C stick it in for 10minutes and then take it out and stick it in the pc. might work. Also remove all plastic from it before baking. Don't worry about thermal pads, they will be fine. Just any plastic casings etc.

What you do by baking it is melting the solder lines and reforming cracked connections between the pcb and components on it.
Do you like to add some garlic and sprinkle with salt before putting in the oven?

Reactions: Myre

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Do you like to add some garlic and sprinkle with salt before putting in the oven?
He can try frying it lightly before baking so it will keep the juices in.

Trick Shot Bob

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Trick_Shot_Bob
I'm 21, nearly 22 and I need a job, I've never had one before and this pretty much needs to change and I seriously want to join the Navy as a technician so to do this I am going back to college very soon to re-do a few subjects to get the grades I need, and to take an engineering course on the side which will cost a lot but should definitely help me get to what I want to do and shamefully that is going to cost me about 1.5grand -( 2.3 USD ) , so all the money I had saved for my computer and graphics card is now is going on that instead.
You're dong the right thing here & you've set yourself a goal to achieve.

This is a hell of a good career path for you, you're at a point in your life where you can make these changes and live out your dreams.

You can do this, I have do doubt in that!

Horizonz

Space Marshal
Jan 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Horizonz
You guys talking about baking a card like its nothing, wtf is this :') but i think we have all forgot what a serious issue this is, without a graphics card i have lost a piece of my heart </3 ,

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
"A graphics card that can't graphics, ain't a graphics card." -Krystal LeChuck

Reactions: RipVanDan

Horizonz

Space Marshal
Jan 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Horizonz
Was too busy trying to make my parents think i was cooking food instead of a gpu to take a photo sorry pepper. But no, it did not work shamefully. Sad times. . Anyway im heading to bed, ill try get on the mac again tomorrow an reply to ya'll n join mumble again but yeh right now if anyone has a gpu that will run star citizen that they dont want or need, ill gladly take this lmfao :') night.

gladestone

Vice Admiral
Mar 8, 2015
RSI Handle
gladestone
Please horizon any thing but my old org done do it..There a bunch of pozer loosers in that org..Some one is giving away a graphic card on a contest in the org horizon..If you can check his stream out..Was talked about last night..Although it was late for me an i cant remember the dudes name..Use your mac to talk bud its cooling..At least till u get assituated..Been cool to get to know you buddy..

Reactions: Myre

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Baking PC cards. That's amazing. I'm reading up on the melting temperatures of solder, and wondering how much overlap there is with actual component burnout (approx 70-80C if I recall). Where do the engineers get the max temp for overclocking from: burn out the component, or just start melting the solder around 280 - 340C...? Seems to be a HUGE gap. If oven baking works, why can't we OC our cards to 250C, just south of the lowest solder melting point?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Baking PC cards. That's amazing. I'm reading up on the melting temperatures of solder, and wondering how much overlap there is with actual component burnout (approx 70-80C if I recall). Where do the engineers get the max temp for overclocking from: burn out the component, or just start melting the solder around 280 - 340C...? Seems to be a HUGE gap. If oven baking works, why can't we OC our cards to 250C, just south of the lowest solder melting point?
Most IC’s are designed for lead-free reflow and are certified to tolerate temperatures as high as 260°C (lead-free solder becomes liquidous at 217°C). A hot air gun is likely to exceed this temperature.

Cheap ass reflow ovens (ovens used for baking electronic components on boards) use IR heating elements and they tend to burn components as black parts get hot faster. But in normal air driven or ceramic driven heating methods, the copper parts covered in solder, absorb heat and reach the melting point temperature much faster than the internals of the ICs due to the increased thermal conductivity of the material.

A good reflow oven is able to raise the temperature fast at high ranges. That allows to reach the solder melting point fast and not allow for internals to get damaged. Bad ones tend to take longer as the temperature rises allowing the temperature of the internals to reach critical points and get burnt.

The component burnout does not occur at 70-80'C. That is when the *SCIENCE* start.

Be advised the following content contains science:

A CPU is basically a collection of billions of on/off switches. The speed of a CPU is related to the structure of the switch. You could picture the rapid on/off switch as a binary pulse like this:

but in reality it is more like this:

since there is a tolerance level and anything above a certain level of voltage is considered on and below is considered off and there is some time required for the transition.

As we increase the frequency we need to decrease the time required to change states. This is why we increase voltage, to allow for higher tolerance within the limits by increasing the actual Vcc. However voltage increase, increases temperature and increased temperature increases resistance. And increased resistance makes it harder to switch states and increase frequency. And so on and so forth and I'm bored with typing science...

Last edited:

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
IR. black parts.
Assuming you are saying IR is tantamount to conventional kitchen oven.
Could... Could you wrap the board in heavy aluminum foil (shiny side out) while baking to make it more resistant to IR?

And as for "science" NO go on! LOL I'm actually paying attention, and it seems to make sense! :)
Increased temperature = increased resistance = flip-flop not as efficient = .............. basically it sounds like a problem of ...

Be advised, the following contains ECONOMICS

...DIMINISHING RETURNS! So it sounds like you can increase voltage all you want until (heat? arcing?) component failure, but the card is still going to create artifacts and ultimately die after a certain point regardless of how much juice you pump through it, possibly even with adequate cooling. mmmaybe...? heh

Anyways, I'm sure there is a great deal of info out there, so if I'd like more details, you have certain pointed me in a good direction. Thank you @cpt-lechuck.760!

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?