Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
IR. black parts.
Assuming you are saying IR is tantamount to conventional kitchen oven.
Could... Could you wrap the board in heavy aluminum foil (shiny side out) while baking to make it more resistant to IR?

And as for "science" NO go on! LOL I'm actually paying attention, and it seems to make sense! :)
Increased temperature = increased resistance = flip-flop not as efficient = .............. basically it sounds like a problem of ...

Be advised, the following contains ECONOMICS

...DIMINISHING RETURNS! So it sounds like you can increase voltage all you want until (heat? arcing?) component failure, but the card is still going to create artifacts and ultimately die after a certain point regardless of how much juice you pump through it, possibly even with adequate cooling. mmmaybe...? heh

Anyways, I'm sure there is a great deal of info out there, so if I'd like more details, you have certain pointed me in a good direction. Thank you @cpt-lechuck.760!
Basically yeah, you could increase voltage all you wanted but then you would have to decrease the frequency or somehow increase the spacing between Vcc and Vss or somehow decrease the transition time from Vcc to Vss and the opposite without having operational errors.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
So to make it more clear because I realize I omitted a diagram to show what happens when you overclock beyond a stable threshold. So this happens:

The voltage transition from low to high does not complete before the end of the cycle, and it doesn't reach to the recognizable ON (Vcc) threshold, and there you have your errors that start showing up as artifacts, freezes, etc. (or wrong results if you run something like Intel Burn Test).

That is why you increase the voltage. To "push" the transition to a higher level faster, but that will increase temperatures and the increased temperature will increase resistance, making the transition harder, thus requiring more voltage, which will in turn produce more heat, which will in turn produce even higher resistance increasing the transition curve further, and so on and so forth...

Reactions: RipVanDan

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
So to make it more clear because I realize I omitted a diagram to show what happens when you overclock beyond a stable threshold. So this happens:

The voltage transition from low to high does not complete before the end of the cycle, and it doesn't reach to the recognizable ON (Vcc) threshold, and there you have your errors that start showing up as artifacts, freezes, etc. (or wrong results if you run something like Intel Burn Test).

That is why you increase the voltage. To "push" the transition to a higher level faster, but that will increase temperatures and the increased temperature will increase resistance, making the transition harder, thus requiring more voltage, which will in turn produce more heat, which will in turn produce even higher resistance increasing the transition curve further, and so on and so forth...
Sounds like you end up creating an infinite loop. By pushing your voltage too high you just create a catch-22 situation you can't get out of.

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Sounds like you end up creating an infinite loop. By pushing your voltage too high you just create a catch-22 situation you can't get out of.
Well, with extremely good cooling you can avoid most of it by keeping resistance in a very low level. This is why you can see liquid nitrogen cooled systems reach extreme stable overclocks. Any by keeping the temperature low, you don't need to increase the voltage too much since you still have better (faster) transition from low to high states.

Reactions: RipVanDan

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
I've known for years that cooling was a key issue in PC building, but your examples really explain exactly why it is so important. Not just to save components from heat damage, but to also make them run better and more efficiently. Thanks for sharing with us tech wannabes.

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck

Horizonz

Space Marshal
Jan 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Horizonz
Omg 205 raised now!! So close to hitting the goal on go fund me, thank you all so much. So close to getting it replaced :)

Rids-frinic

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jul 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Rids-frinic
Unfortunately, can't help you with your card. However, good luck in the NAVY. You should prep yourself by building your tolerance to bullshit. Don't get worked up over boot camp, it's pretty much a joke but don't say that to your RDC's. Just go with it and don't stand out. I can't tell ya how the fleet will be given that it changes so much and so frequently. Just don't spend all your money and live paycheck to paycheck. Save save save, and save some more. And, if you finish your bachelors either before or after you get in, put in an officers package for OCS(officer candidate school) ASAP. Have fun and good luck. don't get to drunk. you don't wanna lose rank due to stupid decisions.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Best way to get through boot camp; keep your head down, do what you're told, and don't get mad at the MTIs/Drill Sergeants/etc. Keep your temper and just play it cool, and it's a breeze.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Best way to get through boot camp; keep your head down, do what you're told, and don't get mad at the MTIs/Drill Sergeants/etc. Keep your temper and just play it cool, and it's a breeze.
And never volunteer for anything...

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Thats why I got the XFX R9 270x, it had good reliability reviews, plus I got it CHEAP, it was in the wrong spot on the shelf, saved me a crapload of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?