Hammerhead vs Polaris

TheShooter36

Captain
Jul 31, 2018
RSI Handle
TheShooter36
The thing is, Polaris has several turrets PLUS torpedoes, can defend itself, albeit not as good as Hammerhead, from snubs because of that. Also can fight other caps, however the hammerhead absolutely decimates fighters and smaller ships like connie or caterpillar. Would getting a Hammerhead but also keeping a polaris upgrade around be best option?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Hmm.. if you are going to have a few reliable friends or AI to man those turrets, Hammerhead.
If you want a more satisfying personal experience with random crew or AI, perhaps a Polaris.
If I were forced to only pick one.... I might see myself in a Polaris.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I am planning to buy Hammerhead when 3.3 becomes a reality but i also consider a polaris upgrade sitting at buyback. Which one would you guys recommend?
Depends on what you want to do...

Since turrets are its main armament (and no torpedoes) it will be good at taking out smaller ships, but will not be able to defend itself if any capital ships are around.

I have a Hammerhead because I thought it would be the perfect ship to accompany my Retaliator(s). The turrets can protect the Retaliators, and the the Retaliators can clear out any larger capital ships that would threaten us. For their sizes, I think the Hammerhead and Retaliators will be relatively easy to crew (esp. with AI or NPCs).

A Polaris is a great ship, but that size will attract a lot of other ships to attack it. If it is fighting larger ships, I don't think it will stand much of a chance. If it goes against smaller ships, they will just run away, or stand off at a distance, launch their torpedoes, and then bolt. I think the Polaris will definitely need a highly skilled crew to not just fly and shoot the weapons, but to identify threats and manage systems.

Of course, since everything is alpha, it is all subject to change!

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Polaris has more functionality, it has weopons for anti big ships with the torpedoes, and turrets for anti fighter. I think the cargo/hanger will have some use but not really sure how much. The hammerhead is just anti small ships and should be better at that. The polaris should have longer range than the hammerhead. It is more expensive to run with a bigger cargo and crew. Overall its turrets are not as good but heh that's all the hammerhead has. I swapped a polaris for the hammerhead because of the smaller crew requirements making it more likely I would be able to use it. In an anti capital ship fight though I would be crew I guess.

BarthSarafin

Admiral
Aug 4, 2018
RSI Handle
Ryondus
I have a hammerhead right now as well. And the polaris is not on sale right now so. I have asked myself that same question and went with the hammerhead. I just can't imagine decking out a polaris with a full crew is going to be easy for me. I guess I might have to be Crew on somebody elses ship XD

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Personally, the Polaris... It has a mini-hangar so you can carry another ride in it, and you can do stuff other than shooting in it...

The Hammerhead...? Thats 6 manned turrets needing either a computer with 6 blade slots or 6 NPC's or 6 actual player, to... well, to go shootin' and not much else.

Polaris for the utility of it all.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Personally, the Polaris... It has a mini-hangar so you can carry another ride in it, and you can do stuff other than shooting in it...

The Hammerhead...? Thats 6 manned turrets needing either a computer with 6 blade slots or 6 NPC's or 6 actual player, to... well, to go shootin' and not much else.

Polaris for the utility of it all.
I think you are correct about the Hammerhead, but, the Polaris is going to have 5 turrets! They both will have anti-ship missiles...basically, the really difference is that the Polaris has the size 10 (gulp) torpedoes...trying to manage all that + the shields & engines is going to take a heck of a crew.

Now, if you had about 10-12 dedicated friends, who each learned a bit about the roles of that ship, then, it would be quite a lethal weapon.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
not easy ? you're a test member right ? so yeah .. I understand - this whole trouble of logging in to discord and saying - "let's go" .. not for everyone )
Yes, that's the issue. After all what is a test if not drunk and cra... skillfully piloting their own craft. I guess after they recover in medical they will still need a ride but not sure how productive they will be at operating a turret let alone a console, especially when most large ships have a open bar.

Forgot your password?