Holocaust remembrance day

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Friday was Holocaust remembrance day.

I don't bring this up much or talk about it, but I think its important to post at least once.

My Grandmother is getting on in her years and once her generation is gone, this dark chapter will be confined to the history books rather than living survivors.

My sister was visiting her last week and took this picture.

We must always remember why this happened and make sure the lessons we learned are not forgotten.

The "A" in the tattoo is for Auschwitz.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I agree that we should never forget. The sad thing is that USA seems to be going the opposite way, intolerance and hate.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Growing up, a good number of my friends' parents and grandparents bore those tattoos. You couldn't help but feel awe at the strength and resilience those survivors had to move on from the horrors they faced and simply live as normal human beings.

It will be a great loss to us all when they are all gone.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Growing up, a good number of my friends' parents and grandparents bore those tattoos. You couldn't help but feel awe at the strength and resilience those survivors had to move on from the horrors they faced and simply live as normal human beings.

It will be a great loss to us all when they are all gone.
Well said my friend.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
Incredible story of survival. Thanks for sharing. They will not be forgotten.

My Dad is still alive, fought in WWII in Germany and stayed on after the war to help rebuild the local governments of that fractured country after those atrocities. And he had dual citizenship at the time, as he was born in Germany, moved to the US in 1929.

An incredible group of survivors that will not be forgotten in my generation, nor my kids, and maybe soon, my grand kids.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
We must always remember why this happened and make sure the lessons we learned are not forgotten.
She is one of the last of what is truly "The Greatest Generation" for indeed, those people knew how to sacrifice and pull together for the sake of goodness itself.

I agree that we should never forget. The sad thing is that USA seems to be going the opposite way, intolerance and hate.
You sound like one of those who is uncritically accepting the views of modern media. It is a fact, that the left in the US is claiming the right is racist, intolerant and hateful, and doing so while they are rioting in the streets, shooting down cops, banning freedom of speech on college campuses, and otherwise trampling the freedoms they claim to support. Don't drink the koolaid. I am not a Trump supporter and have never been, but I can read the signs. It is the far left progressives who are creating a fascist society in America, not the right, nor even the pathetic alt-right.

Riekopo

Vice Admiral
Mar 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Riekopo
I visited some of the former concentration camps when I was in Europe like Dachau. Sadly, our new President failed to mention the Jewish people in his Holocaust Remembrance Day statement and this omission was intentional according to multiple senior officials from the White House when asked about it. Unbelievably, anti-Semitism is on the rise again across the world. My own neighbor, an elderly man, absolutely hates Jews.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
@Riekopo hate is on the rise too, especially tribalism in general. Hate + tribalism = very bad things for humanity. But yea, I notice more antisemitism as well. Natzi party sympathizers, people proud of their German (WW2) military distant relatives, and just plain ignorance as if this was ancient history or not relevant anymore... or maybe worse, lots of people just don't care/indifferent. Just a few months ago this thread happened on the RSI forums. I tried to educate people... didn't really work.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This is amongst one of the many reasons I choose to display the White Poppy on Remembrance Day in the UK (11am on the 11th November when the first World War ended.)

The usual poppy is Red but is specifically to remember the sacrifice of those who were in the armed forces - well, although it is undeniable they are to be remembered and respected it is also important to remember all who were touched by war, not just those who were sent, willingly or not, to fight in them.

Thanks for sharing Montoya. When the time comes that there is no more living history of atrocities like this it will make it even more important to ensure we mark them.

Forgot your password?