HOTAS Recommendations

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Dont waste money on T16000s, the build quality is absolutely appalling.

Bought two last year, both dead.

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk

Agreed, however if you want to try out hotas/hosas I think it’s a decent gateway option, before sinking $$$ into Virpil/VKB.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Agreed, however if you want to try out hotas/hosas I think it’s a decent gateway option, before sinking $$$ into Virpil/VKB.
It's a good entry level setup on a budget. I've had mine for 2 years and it still runs well so...yeah.

Reactions: SpudNyk

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
The most disappointing thing is there is no middle ground between cheap stuff like the T16000s and overpriced stuff like VKB and Virpil.

For me personally theres no justification for spending a grand on joysticks, but I would quite happily spend £250 to £350 on them (I am aware of the warthog, not great quality and also requires an additional grip purchasing AND pedals to give the functionality of two T16000s.)

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
The most disappointing thing is there is no middle ground between cheap stuff like the T16000s and overpriced stuff like VKB and Virpil.

For me personally theres no justification for spending a grand on joysticks, but I would quite happily spend £250 to £350 on them (I am aware of the warthog, not great quality and also requires an additional grip purchasing AND pedals to give the functionality of two T16000s.)
It's weird that there's no-one trying to fill that middle ground, there's definitely a market there for it. Maybe thrustmaster has something in the works to replace the warthog

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Is there a way to use voice attack or a button, to toggle many functions at once? So for example, could you say or click "stealth mode" and the shields, one of two reactors, and all the EM hot stuff like jump drives, would all shut down at once and go decoupled flight; and alternatively say "combat mode" and everything would come on in a specific sequence?
nope, energy management like switching off single components or stealth mode aren't bindable. You switch on or off engines: main thrusters, maneuvering thrusters , powerplant, jump drives

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone

You have a point; I'd like to expand it slightly by noting that these ARE the middle ground between the older cheap stuff (T16000 build quality ain't the highest but they are far beyond the previous generation) and the truly expensive such as the Brunner. At 1250 Euro these are a bit salty even for whales.

I am also going to take the position that VKB and Virpil are NOT overpriced. Quality costs what it costs, and the Virpil are some of the best built tools I've ever owned.

sharpeone

Admiral
Dec 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Sharpeone
If cost is a factor & you are not trying to impress the Air Force fighter pilots.......

I have this one and LOVE it....

The newest version is HOTAS T Flight 4
In the states, Best Buy has the PS4 version of this as a deal of the day today for $47.99. It's currently what I'm using as I too have a wife who watches our finances :).

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf

I have mine for around 1,5 year. True I did not used them for some time but when I use them they are properly abused and doing still well.
While I agree that if you have money and are certain that you will stick to using sticks, then yes go for Virpils or VKB.
But I think that it's excellent product for the price if you are just switching from kb+m for the first time.

[,,,] truly expensive such as the Brunner. At 1250 Euro these are a bit salty even for whales.

Wow, WTF is this company?
Just looked at this product.... it have less buttons than fingers on one hand..... those pedals also look bit weird... their prices are mad....

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What function on flying a spaceship would use feedback? I can see using transducers for shaking your seat when you take a hit, but when would there ever be feedback in a spaceflight sim from a control surface, etc? I just don't get it. Might make sense for a driving sim, but how with a space sim? If a missile hits your aileron, you get a twitch in your hand?

I don't get it.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Is there a way to use voice attack or a button, to toggle many functions at once?
Absolutely... I have several commands that do multople functions..
The commands, of course. 'come on' in the order that you program them.
Ex: 'Flight Ready' = Enable flight ready - Straff up for 1 second - Raise landing gear
Any keypress (keybaord/mouse or HOTAS) can be progammed in Voice Attack.
Also, you can use multiple commands (makes it easier to remember)
Ex: To press the 'F' key = Open; Close; Activate; Deactivate; Use; Enter; Stow [each MUST end with a ; then a space before the next command - except the last command]

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
What function on flying a spaceship would use feedback? I can see using transducers for shaking your seat when you take a hit, but when would there ever be feedback in a spaceflight sim from a control surface, etc? I just don't get it. Might make sense for a driving sim, but how with a space sim? If a missile hits your aileron, you get a twitch in your hand?

I don't get it.
I have no idea what use they would find in a space sim. Don't have them so can't speak to it even for flight sims.

Edit: These are used for professional grade flight sims, the kind that the FAA certify for training pilots. It'd be fun to set up in DCS, methinks..
Okay so this guy is funny! Where are you from and why have you been hiding from the general forum? I want to buy you a beer. . .and Owl will pay for it.
"..Hiding from the general forum.." self evident answer. And I'd be more than happy to buy Owl a beer - Always a good day when a brother makes it home from deployment.

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca

using them for 4 years. They sometimes need some (more?) maintanance work. Had to clean the twist sensor twice.

Personal anecdotes don't prove a general build quality issue. Also you can use them as backup or secondary stick if you don't want to go "all in".

Imho the best entry level stick. If money is no issue anyway go virpil ofc.

Stick setup you can try J2k to enhance your experience with T16000 Check out buzzkiller: https://www.youtube.com/user/BuzZzKiller09/videos)

Two other options are gameglass https://gameglass.gg (i think test has a discount on them, but basic functions are free anyway) or the elgato stream deck

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
3 of my T16000s trigger buttons were unresponsive after rigorous use so I bought a VKB Gladiator Mk.II as a left stick.

Its like 20 euros more than a T16000m but much higher quality imo. Its a lot looser movementwise.
It has a pinky modifier button so more then enough options for me.
I might upgrade to the virpil alphas at some point but not willing to make that investment until we have a semi complete game.

EDIT: It doesnt have HAL but MARS sensors

Reactions: SkywiseFahr

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
...tries to imagine the terms Air Force and fighter pilot together. I know they have a lot of nice toys filling up the tarmac.. I met one AF pilot who they thought might be good enough to land on our deck.

J/K; retired Naval Aviation here. Respect for all the services, but AF will get no slack :)
LOL - retired USN submariner here...........Sailors don't need to be impressed. J/K
UGH! Knuckle dragger Marine Aviation, you fly, break good, me fix, beat with hammer like drum, go fly again, maybe not break this time. Use cheap stick, easy part to replace. Tired now, want more Poggy bait and strippers. bye bye.

Forgot your password?