I guess Google Fiber must be getting close to my neighborhood

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
I just upgraded from 25Mbps to 100Mbps.. holy shit its amazing. If google fiber came here I would switch in a heartbeat!

Reactions: Nutjob

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Sooo... Net Neutrality for the win, then? Maybe...? At any rate, 'tis nice when the playing field is level. Fucking ISP oligopolies.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Sooo... Net Neutrality for the win, then? Maybe...? At any rate, 'tis nice when the playing field is level. Fucking ISP oligopolies.
You know that reminds me of the time I got a 15% raise to "get caught up with the competition". I appreciate the extra money, but goddamn how much am I being screwed, and what the fuck made them realize that I'm so underpaid?! Or worse, what changed so that they decided I might actually find out & leave...? Whatever; that was ages ago, so all is good, now.

Aurora The Explorer

Rear Admiral
Donor
Sep 11, 2015
RSI Handle
AurThEx
As a Brit I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, my internet speeds aren't bad, aside from ping when I try playing with y'all Muricans, but I'm also unlikely to get fiber anytime this decade either. Well, there is one isp offering fiber but I doubt it comes close to what google is offering...

All I can say is, Montoya, you gotta switch bro. Not that you don't already know.

Reactions: Kersakov

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
So you going from 30-50 to 300 just like that?

Ive been on 200 for a few month and must say, the only times ive maxed the speed and harnessed the power of high speed internetz was with 1 PTU patch and a few Steam games.
Couldn't even imagine what to do with google fiber

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
They just did this in my neighborhood, Montoya. What a difference! I'd already gotten up to 100, which was their highest package at the time, so they bumped me to 300 without any additional cost. It's glorious!

It's not gigabit, but it's more than enough for my needs.

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
Wow. That would be awesome. I remember reading about Tennessee's fiber town, Chattanooga awhile back. That's what happens when a town steps up and breaks out of the monopolies the cable companies have all over the place. Out west its Cox Cable, Cox Cable or Cox Cable. No competition and no way to get competition. Someday maybe.

http://chattanoogagig.com/

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
I would trade you a Idris for that kinda internet speed. I am living in a area that can only get internet via towers (not cell towers QQ). on a good day it can run at 200k-230k sec but it flip flops around a bit.

I am hoping to be moved and settled into a new area that has decent internet before SC comes out or else i will need lots of NPCS to handle the lag for me lol

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
As a Brit I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, my internet speeds aren't bad, aside from ping when I try playing with y'all Muricans, but I'm also unlikely to get fiber anytime this decade either. Well, there is one isp offering fiber but I doubt it comes close to what google is offering...

All I can say is, Montoya, you gotta switch bro. Not that you don't already know.
I wouldn't worry about it. Given any technology, shit is slow to start, but after a bit of momentum, it seems to happen overnight. Look at cell phones; back in the late 80's & early 90s, seemed like only the rich had them (remember car phones and head cancer scares? *HA*). A short time later, and everyone seemed to have them. Slippery slope. I wouldn't be surprised if technology proliferation is measured exponentially.

Kapital_Kong

Space Marshal
Apr 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Kapital_Kong
You think things are bad in America ha! I
I get this email today:

"Up to 300Mbs" is what the new speed will be.

This is nice, but it just goes to show how badly Americans are being ripped off if they can give me 10x my speed for the same price.
get 1mbps - 2mbps if I'm lucky...

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
XD
Thank god that we have a few cable company's could be better but 50mb/sec is enough for me since im the only one with high Internet usage :D

I wonder though how much do you pay for that speed?

Forgot your password?