I theorize the Eclipse is a stealth bomber (video)

MurgenTemplar

Grand Admiral
Oct 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Murgentemplar
We can chat very cosy about an upcoming Aegis Bomber but what (the hell) happened to the Vanguard Harbinger ... The Vanguard Harbinger is Earth’s standard fighter-bomber, converting the standard Warden model’s escape pod into a potent bomb bay. The extended range of the Vanguard and the relatively small profile mean that it can go where carrier-based planes or larger strategic bombers don’t… and then strike hard and make it back to frontier bases. The Vanguard Harbinger is a powerful bomber that can operate out of the roughest forward operating bases.

Well?

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
We can chat very cosy about an upcoming Aegis Bomber but what (the hell) happened to the Vanguard Harbinger ... The Vanguard Harbinger is Earth’s standard fighter-bomber, converting the standard Warden model’s escape pod into a potent bomb bay. The extended range of the Vanguard and the relatively small profile mean that it can go where carrier-based planes or larger strategic bombers don’t… and then strike hard and make it back to frontier bases. The Vanguard Harbinger is a powerful bomber that can operate out of the roughest forward operating bases.

Well?
CIG regretting making one chassis so multi-role & deciding ' Hey sure they could have a heavy fighter converted to a bomber.. OR we could give them the option of a dedicated stealth bomber.'

Also I can kinda see the ship design teams all ' omg Chris let us make a stealth bomber it'll be so cool'

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
So this could be an interesting addition to the lineup, as much as I roll my eyes at *another* combat ship coming out.

We only have 2 other stealth-orientated ships in the game- the Sabre, which is designed from the ground up to be pretty stealthy while also being a good fighter, and the Ghost, which is a fighter with stealthy bits added on.

Both of these are designed to be fighters first and foremost, although the Sabre sacrifices a chunk of durability and payload in exchange for better handling and stealth.

What we do NOT have is a ship designed from the bottom up for stealth and the expense of a lot of other stuff. Similar to how a F-22 Raptor is stealthy, but can also kick the shit out of practically anything in the sky. The Eclipse could be more akin to a B-2 Spirit or F-117 Nighthawk in the fact that Stealth is it's main defense, and if its spotted it's gonna get rough. Whereas the Retaliator has a good number of turrets to defend itself.

Knowing CIG's raging hardon for Aegis though, this will just be a new Super-Tali that doesn't have an idiotic torpedo system and turret layout, and doesn't need 6 people to crew.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
2 cents

the outboard vertical fins on the ship are both wing and landing gear. Vertical position is Landing/landed mode, likely four wheels per side. As the vehicle launches the wings move to a horizontal position, the landing gear fits within the housing of the inboard wing and a shroud plate slides to cover the gear and smooth the lines.

Utilising the bespoke shape allows for a capable Passive surveillance platform in addition to the seeming default stealth torpedo strike bomber.

The vehicle's Capabilities define how much I will care to have one for myself.

Yes, I keep a forlorn hope that it will be or have Surveillance/Ewar capabilities.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Quote my self from the other thread....

It could just be a spy scanning ship similar to the Herald with some missile, low profile so it be hard to spot and hit and not much firepower, aimed to fly really, really, fast to gather intel and data then get the hell out of Dodge as fast as it came in try avoiding to be detected.
Or the second dedicated EMP ship since we only got one of that....

Cheers :beer: :beer: :beers:

Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Quote my self from the other thread....

It could just be a spy scanning ship similar to the Herald with some missile, low profile so it be hard to spot and hit and not much firepower, aimed to fly really, really, fast to gather intel and data then get the hell out of Dodge as fast as it came in try avoiding to be detected.
Or the second dedicated EMP ship since we only got one of that....

Cheers :beer: :beer: :beers:
With those tesla-coil anodes coming off the wings, it is probably the first and only target-able EMP. Imagine lightening bolts arcing between the pointy bits like a giant Taser, and then zapping whatever the weapons operator has in their sights. A more powerful, focused EMP which can also be used for ground defence of the ship by KOing advancing dudes on foot, too.

And if it's not, there is another Quality Product idea for the TEST Weapons Research Laboratory.

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Suggestion of great leader makes sense.

There are voice who moarn something like "...a concept sale - again?"
While I also won't get into this one, in my opinion CIG has built this birdy for needs within SQ42. And aside from it they are offering the Eclipse for sale for getting some more coins into their companys balance. Because: why not...?

[edit]...this is for getting some attention to my post:

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/122/1224287/22-photos-of-bikes-cars-women-because-why-not-L-vdhTAf.png

chendal220

Grand Admiral
Mar 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Chendal220
in my Newsletter RSI wrote: UEEN Space Superiority
A bomber is NOT a Space Superiority in my eyes.
So i think it´s a competitor to the sabre. So Stealth YES but Bomber, NO. For an effective Bomber i think it´s to small. A bomber must be able to kill Capital ships. And this ship can perhaps max. equip a few size 5 Torpedos i think. So one size 9 Torpedo of a retaliator has 4 times the power and i need two Size 9 for a caterpillar which is no capital ship.

so maybe a stealth fighter with Little bigger rockets

PS: for me very interesting is that it seems to be small enough to fit into my starliner.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
in my Newsletter RSI wrote: UEEN Space Superiority
A bomber is NOT a Space Superiority in my eyes.
So i think it´s a competitor to the sabre. So Stealth YES but Bomber, NO. For an effective Bomber i think it´s to small. A bomber must be able to kill Capital ships. And this ship can perhaps max. equip a few size 5 Torpedos i think. So one size 9 Torpedo of a retaliator has 4 times the power and i need two Size 9 for a caterpillar which is no capital ship.

so maybe a stealth fighter with Little bigger rockets

PS: for me very interesting is that it seems to be small enough to fit into my starliner.
The very beginning says UEEN Bomber Command. It's a cargo ship. There's no doubt in my mind.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Suggestion of great leader makes sense.

There are voice who moarn something like "...a concept sale - again?"
While I also won't get into this one, in my opinion CIG has built this birdy for needs within SQ42. And aside from it they are offering the Eclipse for sale for getting some more coins into their companys balance. Because: why not...?

[edit]...this is for getting some attention to my post:
:eyes:

Oh You got my attention ( :eye::eye: )

:eye::eye: ....... :eye::eye:

Sorry you where saying.. ?

....... :eye::eye: OOH! ( 0_0 )

Cheers :beers:

Forgot your password?