I think there will be inner-system jump points

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Jeb would still be just returning from his second mission to Jool if KSP didn't have 10000X time compression. But KSP also has a gravitational/orbital mechanics, at least a couple of versions of Alcubierre drive from user built mods to make long distance travel more enjoyable without speeding up the clock. That might be a way for CIG to introduce interplanetary travel. I'm not sure why we need jump drives to fall into a wormhole though, so they could be re-purposed for interplanetary missions, instead of interstellar. Unless the jump drive is the way to get to the jump gate, in which they already have the mechanic, it seems to me there's a gap somewhere.

Thing is, to me SC is (or will be) a sci-fi game (depending on your perspective) so CIG can do whatever they like if it has a good back story, and awesome graphics, especially when my Aurora blows up yet again. Some players will complain no matter what CIG does. But most players won't complain too much. What they'll do is concentrate on how to leverage the game play mechanic to their advantage. Then, nothing stops CIG from releasing additional updates to SC that evolve gameplay over time.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
They could add different grades of quantum fuel, like different fuel grades at a gas station, the higher grade quantum fuel would produce a better reaction or burn in the quantum drive and give you higher speeds but would cost more as it takes more refining, time, and energy to produce a higher grade fuel. I could see big freighters being designed or modified with efficient Q-Drives that could more efficiently maintain a higher speed with a better MPG/KPL. You could say that it's further refinement of the fuel to get more concentration of the right isotopes for a better fuel, and the longer process of refinement and concentration adds to the cost and lower quantity of higher grade fuel available.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
They could add different grades of quantum fuel, like different fuel grades at a gas station, the higher grade quantum fuel would produce a better reaction or burn in the quantum drive and give you higher speeds but would cost more as it takes more refining, time, and energy to produce a higher grade fuel. I could see big freighters being designed or modified with efficient Q-Drives that could more efficiently maintain a higher speed with a better MPG/KPL. You could say that it's further refinement of the fuel to get more concentration of the right isotopes for a better fuel, and the longer process of refinement and concentration adds to the cost and lower quantity of higher grade fuel available.
That'd give an interesting game mechanic for those Starfarer Teams.

Having read the responses in this discussion, I no longer think there will be Jump-lanes or whatever they'd be called. Shame, it'd give explorers something to aim for in systems that had not been developed, mapping out viable lanes as inter-system Jump points are going to have to be mapped to be used.

That said, it's all in Alpha - they could change the transportation models to riding pink unicorns over rainbows tomorrow and none of this will matter at all.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Right now, I think 3.0 is planning only to add 2 or is it 3 moons(?) and a landable asteroid. That means we're probably still a year away from having to worry about it. They could still be doing the jump lanes, I'm just not entirely sure why they require jump drives. If they exist, you should be able to fall into a wormhole, and almost instantaneously exit the other side. All they really need to do is come up with a viable way of navigating inside a system. For that what I'd do if I was CIG is expand the capabilities of quantum drive. No rainbows required.

But if we're going to use unicorns jumping over rainbows, this might then become a technical drawing? https://megalibrarygirl.deviantart.com/art/Rainbow-Pegasus-331058758

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
They could still be doing the jump lanes, I'm just not entirely sure why they require jump drives. If they exist, you should be able to fall into a wormhole, and almost instantaneously exit the other side. All they really need to do is come up with a viable way of navigating inside a system.
you need the jump drive to navigate inside the wormhole.
(I’m just making things up here because this answer is as good as any other answer)

It is intended that you need to ride on some kind of wave for the first time you jump through a jumpgate. -> To navigate there you need Jump drive.
( http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=43&qid=4 )

The real reason i think you need a jump drive is for gameplay reasons:

Short range ships: no or limited jump drive capacity (for example cutlass is going to have limited jump capability, while the Freelancer is intended to have more Long Range ability)

Long range ships: a lot of QT / Jump fuel (Also better "living quarters")

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The main argument for more jump points is they are easy points of conflicts for pirates. If we had 100 systems then the scale was large enough to have fast inter system travel but since they are now talking the giddy heights of 5 systems maybe things will change.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
That'd give an interesting game mechanic for those Starfarer Teams.

Having read the responses in this discussion, I no longer think there will be Jump-lanes or whatever they'd be called. Shame, it'd give explorers something to aim for in systems that had not been developed, mapping out viable lanes as inter-system Jump points are going to have to be mapped to be used.

That said, it's all in Alpha - they could change the transportation models to riding pink unicorns over rainbows tomorrow and none of this will matter at all.
Yeah, the good thing about a fuel grade system is that it gives more options for game play to Starfarer pilots hualing fuel. It also doesn't take away from explorers potentially mapping the best routes for space lanes since they'd just find the most efficient route and sell the data for system maps and navigation computers.

Forgot your password?