I think there will be inner-system jump points

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hi all...

When the game is nearer completion, I think there are going to be inner-system artificial human built jump-points between planets and other points in systems, and here is why:

You set off in the SOL system, and you need to get from Earth to Neptune to check out the an abandoned ship called the 'Event Horizon' or something.

At light speed it is going to take roughly 4 hours to get there. But we don't have light-speed. We have Quantum, 20% of lightspeed. So 4 hours becomes 20 hours.

20 hours to get across a system in a computer game thats just not going to happen. People will bore. People will quit because getting places inner system will be dull.

We have a set speed in Quantum and we have a real solar system called SOL we know the actual distances in, so either we reduce the distances at which point why not just make Quantum faster because thats the same thing, or we find a faster way of moving ships between planets that is not speed limited.

Having played and enjoyed Freelancer, I really feel the Gates and Lanes from that game are going to be what can be interdicted as they were by pirates in that game disrupting the lane making ships fall out of the lane, knocking out their cruize angines with the right weapon and taking the cargos.

In settled systems lanes can already be established, if people really want to fly for hours/days between places, do it in the systems that have no or very little established civilization, players can spend real hours flying to far off planets that they can then build Jump Lanes (or whatever you'd call them) which can then be named after them for their efforts. Imagine flying along DiscoLandos lane towards Uranus. Or wherever.

Thats how I feel they can get around the real distances and the real speed limits and the whole Quantum Interdiction thing. It'd give Explorer Players something else to do other than crawl the void looking for wrecks or 'roids.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
CIG has already stated that the systems are not to scale and some of the large systems will only take 40 minutes to cross in quantum. I don't think they need inner jump points :P
The thing is, is that actually true on a galactic scale?

Time over Distance is Speed. Speed over Time is Distance. There is very little difference in making something closer and making the time it takes to cover a longer distance shorter. Resizing any other system, yeah, you could say they are all Dwarf Systems. But resizing our own physical system? You may as well just go faster.

Hmmmm. I appreciate there are going to be limits on the Servers though...

But in a game where there are millions of miles between things of interest no one is going to be putting their constellations in a line end to end and actually measuring it... They could just bluff it out...

I get what you are saying... but what I am saying also rings true, quantum has a defined speed and Earth to Neptune has a defined distance in reality... Unless the Vanduul destroy most of the outer planets of the Solar System, someone is going to bitch about it.

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
The thing is, is that actually true on a galactic scale?

Time over Distance is Speed. Speed over Time is Distance. There is very little difference in making something closer and making the time it takes to cover a longer distance shorter. Resizing any other system, yeah, you could say they are all Dwarf Systems. But resizing our own system? Hmmmm.
Yes, CIG said they reduced the size of the system to make travel time more manageable. They are also playing with speeds for 3.0 for short and long jumps. We might see faster speeds on a longer jump.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yes, CIG said they reduced the size of the system to make travel time more manageable. They are also playing with speeds for 3.0 for short and long jumps. We might see faster speeds on a longer jump.
Guess i'll have to wait and see.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Why wait? Drink yourself into a comma and go there now! :smile:

*hospital fees not included and is not recommended by doctors
It's a plan, what to start with. i hear you can drink yourself dead on Water so perhaps something a little stronger?

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Rule of cool meets the KISS method. Don't overthink it. Just go out there and murder some folks for any reason that makes sense to you. Jump points are for star-->star travel. Everything else can be put on cruise control while you figure out which button will moon the Advocacy agents you just blew past.

Frad in'Ryth

Vice Admiral
May 25, 2017
RSI Handle
FradinRyth
Nice... quantum speed faster is the easiest solution
Yeah the stick up peoples butt about time distortion and relativity and we can't go faster than .2c is one of the more head scratching hills to die on some of the backers have choosen. Let CIG "lore up" some BS reason that quantum drives as your local space to flexes and compresses so you're actually going at relativist speeds but the quantum fluff counter acts the slowing of time.

To me it really comes down to. If it's a reasonable amount of time to cross an entire solar system from an enjoyable game play experience, will we really care if our ships say we're going to hyper speed or ludicrous speed?

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
CIG has already stated that the systems are not to scale and some of the large systems will only take 40 minutes to cross in quantum. I don't think they need inner jump points :P
I agree with this.

Travel time = beer time, no?
Always.
(or coffee- I like coffee)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yeah the stick up peoples butt about time distortion and relativity and we can't go faster than .2c is one of the more head scratching hills to die on some of the backers have choosen. Let CIG "lore up" some BS reason that quantum drives as your local space to flexes and compresses so you're actually going at relativist speeds but the quantum fluff counter acts the slowing of time.

To me it really comes down to. If it's a reasonable amount of time to cross an entire solar system from an enjoyable game play experience, will we really care if our ships say we're going to hyper speed or ludicrous speed?
I can dig this, if they said "Hey, Quantum compresses space as well as travels at 20% the speed of light" that'd shut me up...

I think the big thing is they don't want to simulate an entire solar system 1:1 as 99.9% will be billions of empty miles of nothingness that they would still have to have on the server just in case someone flies through it...

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I'm fairly certain that in last weeks ATV, Erin mentioned that this was the main thing that the EVO's would be testing in the first release.
My biggest worry is that the Evo's will decide that long flight times are good.
It looks like they will be getting it in the next week or so. I wish them luck get out there and test, test, test, for the greater good

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Michael, you are correct in your observations, it has also concerned me over the last few months. I am happy from what I have heard recently including from Erin and recent ATV's, that they will balance this by playing with the travel model. If the balance is to my liking is another question.

Forgot your password?