I was honestly not sure if I really needed an 890J...

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I believe that was my response towards something else when I entered puberty long ago. lols
Not sure it ever ends.

I guess we all have our views of pretty. Personally I think that the Idris, Polaris, and Javelin are are beautiful. and the Carrack is gorgeous!
They really are.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Ive never been a big fan of Origin ships... again thats just me, again the ships I listed are amazing to me.
Well that's the beauty about humanity, just because I love the Origin ships doesn't mean you have to. I definitely don't think just because I prefer the looks of the 890 over the above mentioned ships, that everybody should agree with my opinion. Honestly it would make things pretty boring if everybody flew the same ships. 🙂

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
No they are very cool looking ships, I was being silly. I just love the looks of the Origin ships. I could honestly do without a lot of the luxury features on my 600i for example and happily double its functionality. My astetic preference is the clean and finished "Star Trek" esque look on a ship vs. the purely utilitarian look if that makes sense. :)

If they asked me, and they haven't, I'd take the 600i design, ditch the front master and move scanning operations there, loose the lounge and bar in the back and use the space as both cargo or a small area to dock say an M50 or if possible a 300 series fighter. Take the center room and put a small captain cabin there along with a smaller social area. Add a few more turrets and turret stations, in the wasted space on the bridge, but wrap it all in Origin's beautiful design and luxury materials.
I love how the 600i looks on the outside.. but right now I feel like the inside aesthetic is going for "Dentist Office in the 30th century". I despise the pool table, too. (I have the Explorer version)

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I love how the 600i looks on the outside.. but right now I feel like the inside aesthetic is going for "Dentist Office in the 30th century". I despise the pool table, too. (I have the Explorer version)
Yeah the same, I like the overall clean look but I'm hoping that in the future we can customize the colors at least.

DorianSkyphire

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2016
RSI Handle
DorianSkyphire
Well that's the beauty about humanity, just because I love the Origin ships doesn't mean you have to. I definitely don't think just because I prefer the looks of the 890 over the above mentioned ships, that everybody should agree with my opinion. Honestly it would make things pretty boring if everybody flew the same ships. 🙂
I much prefer we not all fly the same ships. I like having ships that are not as commonly found as others.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The more people that fly around in the same ship with all except the pilot getting sloshed, if there are even numbers of each gender & all are willing, that could make for some interesting partying through the stars.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I actually doubt a single HH will be an issue for an 890 as it the PDW systems will protect from the torpedoes and the capital shields can likely manage a large amount of fire hitting them. That said, the 890 should not linger around to fight it and should instead leverage it's better jump drive and engines to get away.
I think someone has led you into a misunderstanding.

First off, the HH doesn't carry torps. It carries S3 missiles which would be wasted on a large target. They're for fighters and cost too much to waste on large ships.

Secondly, the HH carries 24 S4 guns. Reports are they can all fire on the same target, and so long as that target is not dead ahead of the HH, probably there is a small fire arc where they can all bear at once, both above and below the horizon. Think for a moment what that means.

The "Alpha Strike" damage for the C-788 Ballistic Autocannon is 1461 damage. That's the very first hit of the very first projectile out of the gun. That's 36,000 damage on the very first hit, and none of that is stopped by shields. My guess is the HH can kill an 890 within 2 seconds of coming in range of its guns, and there's nothing an 890 could do to stop it. Once inside the 4k range, the 890 would just go boom.

Remember, the 890i is a luxury yacht, not a capital ship. You can confuse the issue by saying it has capital ship components, but it is not a warship. Its hull is not like that of an Idris (nor even a Polaris), and it is going to fold like an accordian if it gets into a fight with a real warship like the HH. The way the number look right now, if an HH got in range of a Polaris, the Polaris could not survive its guns. The only way for a Polaris to manage an HH is to kill it before its guns come in range.

24 guns is a LOT of guns!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Not sure it ever ends.

They really are.

View attachment 12022
View attachment 12023
I gotta say I also love the look of both the Polaris and Carrack! I can't see owning both, becasue I really want a ship to call home, so I gotta go with the Polaris. Not just because of the guns and toprs, but because I always have a need for speed, and I want to see how fast I can make the big bird go.

BTW, I have that Polaris shot above as the background on my laptop. I love that shot! I think what we are going to find when we look at movement in atmosphere with big birds is the Polaris is dangerous and the Idris is not. I think people will do well to keep the Idris in space where it belongs, except unelss they're landing an assualt force or some such. They actually made an effort with the Polaris toward an airframe, with atmospheric control surfaces, but the Idris lacks these so it looks to me the Polaris is going to be the king of atmospheric conflict, at least until the next Corvette class is revealed.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I think someone has led you into a misunderstanding.

First off, the HH doesn't carry torps. It carries S3 missiles which would be wasted on a large target. They're for fighters and cost too much to waste on large ships.

Secondly, the HH carries 24 S4 guns. Reports are they can all fire on the same target, and so long as that target is not dead ahead of the HH, probably there is a small fire arc where they can all bear at once, both above and below the horizon. Think for a moment what that means.

The "Alpha Strike" damage for the C-788 Ballistic Autocannon is 1461 damage. That's the very first hit of the very first projectile out of the gun. That's 36,000 damage on the very first hit, and none of that is stopped by shields. My guess is the HH can kill an 890 within 2 seconds of coming in range of its guns, and there's nothing an 890 could do to stop it. Once inside the 4k range, the 890 would just go boom.

Remember, the 890i is a luxury yacht, not a capital ship. You can confuse the issue by saying it has capital ship components, but it is not a warship. Its hull is not like that of an Idris (nor even a Polaris), and it is going to fold like an accordian if it gets into a fight with a real warship like the HH. The way the number look right now, if an HH got in range of a Polaris, the Polaris could not survive its guns. The only way for a Polaris to manage an HH is to kill it before its guns come in range.

24 guns is a LOT of guns!
I disagree, I think the capital sized shields will easily be able to deal with it. We will see when they are released but it has been said a few times that capitals will not be overly bothered by HH’s.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I gotta say I also love the look of both the Polaris and Carrack! I can't see owning both, becasue I really want a ship to call home, so I gotta go with the Polaris. Not just because of the guns and toprs, but because I always have a need for speed, and I want to see how fast I can make the big bird go.

BTW, I have that Polaris shot above as the background on my laptop. I love that shot! I think what we are going to find when we look at movement in atmosphere with big birds is the Polaris is dangerous and the Idris is not. I think people will do well to keep the Idris in space where it belongs, except unelss they're landing an assualt force or some such. They actually made an effort with the Polaris toward an airframe, with atmospheric control surfaces, but the Idris lacks these so it looks to me the Polaris is going to be the king of atmospheric conflict, at least until the next Corvette class is revealed.
I really like the Polaris design too, at least what we see so far. It looks like a warship. The 890J is a large yacht to be sure, and built for luxury but it has some teeth. But in comparison, the Polaris seems to have fangs. I can't afford either right now so... pipedreams...

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I really like the Polaris design too, at least what we see so far. It looks like a warship. The 890J is a large yacht to be sure, and built for luxury but it has some teeth. But in comparison, the Polaris seems to have fangs. I can't afford either right now so... pipedreams...
Polaris is a great ship. The 890 is heavily defensive, it has no fangs, more of a shell.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I disagree, I think the capital sized shields will easily be able to deal with it. We will see when they are released but it has been said a few times that capitals will not be overly bothered by HH’s.
Shields do not affect ballistics. They go right through to the hull, and if that hull is not military, you should expect it to cough and die in just an instant under the HH's guns. Hull and armor are the only defense against ballistics.

You can see this prejudice for military designs v civilian all across the game despite armor is not implemented yet. For instance, look here:

Compare the Vanguard Hoplite, with hull 26,800 and shields 14,584 against the Cutty Black with hull 3,880 and shields 7,292. This is the kind of difference CIG intends for the game, and why I am always urging people to keep in mind the difference between civilian and military designs when it comes to combat. Yes, you can use a luxury yacht in combat, but no, it's generally a very bad idea against a military design.

IMHO.

Forgot your password?