If you pre-order Star Wars Squadrons....

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Somebody from EA is in TEST and did this to screw with us.

Star Wars Squadrons is going to be HOTAS friendly, VR ready and... wait for it... if you pre-order...

BLACK AND YELLOW!!!

View attachment 16798
oh ffs EA! my wallet can't take that much more black and yellow! hahaha

Jokes aside, I won't preorder. No way EA. I'll wait for some proper gameplay footage and reviews from you guys and then maybe I'll pick it up if it's any good.
Looking at that gameplay reveal, which had zero actual gamplay in it, it's just a tweaked version of BF/BF2's space fights. You get a very limited type of ships (for balance and later DLC content), and you get the same 2 battle modes. Notice how there was no mention of a story driven single player campaign at all?
You can play solo against bots. Great....
Yeah you get to play in a cockpit, but there doesn't seem to be a purpose to it apart from some flashing lights, and most importantly to "ground" you when played in VR.
I think the sole reason they even bothered mentioning HOTAS is to appeal to space sim fans of the past and so that you can play it in VR with something other than a silly gamepad.
Everything was screaming multiplayer arcade shooter, from the speed-lines when you boosted (and the fact you can boost in an SW "sim") to the very flashy oversized explosions.
This is not TIE FIgher remade, don't expect anything close to it.

That said, it might be a decent fun arcade space shooter, especially for VR.

You know what else this pitch reminded me of? World of Tanks/Ships/Planes. Small-Team VS Team PVP game with limited PVE modes. Customization has to be earned and "progression" with upgrades can be earned as well.
As the natural end-point of this type of game, I'd be fine with them turning it over to wargaming and making it into a World of StarWarsships really, maybe they could do it justice with their experience, that could be a huge hit (and a great cashcow)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I am sorry if I offend anyone here but only morons pre order games nowadays. 80% of the games that have released in the last 5+ years have been considerably shitter than their original trailers.

I have learned to pull the reins on my "neeeeedd" because it only leads to disappoint and money being wasted. Now I wait...wait....wait....watch a load of twitch screamers play it, if they love it and I like the look of it, I buy, if it looks poopy butthole and the streamers and youtubers hate it - I give it a wide birth.

Occasionally, I will buy a game that I avoided when it comes up on a silly offer, e.g. Elite D for 8 bucks or Division 2 for 20, or COD Warszone for free.

My mate used to pre order all the time and he used to live a life of dissapoint. He is better now I have moaned at him constantly.

As the last several star wars games have been bunkum - I will wait for the twitch streamers and honest Montoyas of this world to let me know what it is like.

Butuz's 2p.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
But on the topic of pre-orders, my opinion here is a vastly unpopular one.

If you are an adult, do what ever the fuck you want with your money.

If you buy the game, and it sucks, well too bad. Most adults here are not going to cry about $40.

Hell, Ive bought $40 meals at restaurants which I did not like, I dont go home and cry about it.

If you are a 13yr old kid that has been saving money from his paper route, by all means, wait for the game release and decide then!

If the argument is that you should not pre-order because you are giving a company money for a sub-par product, I agree. In this particular case let's not pretend we do not understand what a $40 game is about.

For $40 I am buying a VR X-wing experience. Nothing more.

If the game turns out to have more, then its worth it.

I have bought hundreds of dollars of "experiences" for my VR headset, many of them are very short, I see this as being no different.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Cough... Star Citizen.
Although technically a pre-order, no one walked into Star Citizen without knowing it was crowdfunding the making of a game - you can't, it's a tick box every time you hand over a bit of cash that if you don't tick saying you understand, you can't pay.

Nobody bought in to Anthem, Fallout '76 or No Mans Sky expecting their pre-order to deliver something still being built, - yet that's what they received. These examples were released to retail outlets and hit store shelves.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
If the argument is that you should not pre-order because you are giving a company money for a sub-par product, I agree. In this particular case let's not pretend we do not understand what a $40 game is about.
This !!! This is the key. The publishers have realised they can actually sell 50% (+) of the revenue of the game before they have even released it! Before they've had a single bad review!! This has degenerated the gaming industry into sloppiness and laziness and a "who cares" attitude to gamers in my humble opinion.

Only the customer .... us.... can change this....by not ever preordering anything ever again. I hope you do not need to be as young and free as a 13 year old to see this.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
On Anthem.. I put in 250hrs and had a great time.

The game has its serious flaws, but I got my money's worth.

I was hoping for a game I could play over the long term, that didnt work out.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
This !!! This is the key. The publishers have realised they can actually sell 50% (+) of the revenue of the game before they have even released it!
Correct, but in this case with Squadrons, and Jedi Fallen Order before it, EA was making a point that they are attempting to listen to the criticism and not do the Battlefront nonsense again.

Then there is the cost.

If this was a $60 game, I would be hesitant. At $40, its priced lower because this is not some full single player campaign with rich story telling. This is a space shooter with some cutscenes. I know what Im paying for ahead of time.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I'm suspicious of that game for another reason. It's 40 dollars. To me, that reads that the campaign is going to be short and the maps will be few for multiplayer. Max of 5v5 is kinda small too. I've never known EA to not charge as much money as possible, so if they think this is worth 40 dollars.....
Reading Steam I think EA has made it clear why its forty bucks: Its a cockpit sim only. No other game play.

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Still, the game play looks better than Arena Commander after 7 years. And Squadron came out of nowhere.

Reading Steam I think EA has made it clear why its forty bucks heap: Its a cockpit sim only. No other game play. We're getting a discount for being confined to the pilot's seat.
40 bucks for a good time in a cockpit with a joystick...almost but not quite sounds like the prelude of a story about an encounter with the vice squad

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
EA?

Yeah I'm gonna give it a minute. Getting hyped for anything from EA at this point is like a woman going back to her abusive husband in hopes "things can change".

Then you add that lucasfilm has had its hand in it as well?

Wew. Not like they ever burned anyone.

Forgot your password?