If you were designing a ship from the interior out ...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I might be alone in this, but I would like to take an Anvil Terrapin, remove its sensor array, replace it with a modified turret system of the Tumbril Nova that replaces its size 4 ballistic cannon with either a pair of them or a single size 5 rail gun. Now this is what I would call a "space tank" worthy of TEST Squadron.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Okay, I've actually had a proper think now.

What i'd do is make a High Tech ship that uses an array of artificial gravity generators around the pilot to lower/remove the effects of G on the pilot.

So far we have G-Safe which limits the ships turn and acceleration to keep the pilot from blackout/redout, but this is crap: High performance ships are gimped by G-Safe bringing them down to the level of less powerful craft just because the pilot is the weak point in the vehicle.

So Anti-G would use Artificial Gravity to remove the problem. Why pander to the symptoms when you can cure the problem with the application of science already available in game?

So the design Pros: The cockpit would be in the ship body as a whole so the Anti-G array can surround the pilot. (Think 300 series vs a Buccaneer where the cockpit sticks out). The materials the ship is made of will have to be light but strong, as the Anti-G system would pull on the ship from the inside out, this also means the design itself would have to take this into account to be strong in very different ways, giving it a look unlike any other ship available. Finally the engines would be very big for all that glorious speed and the Mav Thrusters all over to give the ship the maneuverability the Anti-G system was made for. Multiple generators would power all of this fresh madness!

The design Cons: There would not be much spare power left over for shields and weapons. Once the Anti-G is damaged and knocked out, the ships biggest strength becomes its greatest weakness as it would easily KO or even kill a pilot not flying it very gently after Anti-G went off-line. Although the light materials are light and very strong, that doesn't mean they are heavily armored. Power constraints mean smaller/fewer hardpoints for guns than other ships in its size and class, close range Neutron weapons would be its specialty and most deadly loadout, lighter shields than those in its size and class with the crafts speed and maneuverability being its armor and countermeasures. If you aren't moving fast in this ship you are a sitting duck but if it gets behind an anemy ship it'll stick to it like glue.

Thats the potential I see in the 300 series, thats how i'd design a ship from the inside out. Reworks comin', fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That's why I picked it up. I'm planning to install comm equipment and automate the turrets to run it solo. I will probably stick to stealth and fleet work.
I want to see how fast she is, and whether the Prowler can be set up for long range, but my bet is the 600i is best to bump around the verse in. I have wanted to combine tracker, stealth and EWar capability into a single ride for ages, and that bird looks like might do. Gotta be a long range ship though and the stock Prowler is short range.

I think NPCs, each with their own sniper rifles and X1-Force, for turrets and general backup. Should make a potent Bounty Hunting ship, especially if we can mount a pair of S4 ballistics in each of the three S5 chin mounts. I do wish it had a ventral turret--seems the only thing missing.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What i'd do is make a High Tech ship that uses an array of artificial gravity generators around the pilot to lower/remove the effects of G on the pilot.
What you're describing is known as a "Weightless Warp Drive" or WWD save that the scheme uses a thin film around the entire ship to null it's mass so it can accelerate at any arbitrarily high gee loading and none of the craft suffers inertial forces. There may actually be a way to do this IRL, using the latest Mach Effect theory. Such a craft does not have mass, so it not limited to the speed of light, nor take the fantastic amounts of energy to accelerate to any arbitrarily high speed. The trick is to null the mass of everything in the ship and the ship itself completely. If you can do that, all the ship and its contents will experience a time-like geodesic, and never feel any inertial forces.

This is BTW, the only mad scheme that could explain some supposed UFO sightings, of craft making turns that would generate thousands of gees acceleration and turn every bit of such a craft to putty, along with it's inhabitants. the way to do this is disconnect the mass of the ship from the gravity field of the universe, which is what creates inertial forces. Stay tuned. Could happen in just a few years.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Well this weeks calling all Dev they did say we will be able to pay each other for services come 3.1
My Starfarer Saloon model has dorm areas that can be suitably modified, but I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the male avatar models in Star Citizen are actually missing some of the required parts. Do we need to suggest an Xcite outlet on Thurston? (a Second Life vendor where you can get the required parts to make the male avatar anatomy more complete.)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My Starfarer Saloon model has dorm areas that can be suitably modified, but I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the male avatar models in Star Citizen are actually missing some of the required parts. Do we need to suggest an Xcite outlet on Thurston? (a Second Life vendor where you can get the required parts to make the male avatar anatomy more complete.)
If this comes to pass, I'll be waiting my in game celibate time until the female avatars are fully included before I consider going there.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I want to see how fast she is, and whether the Prowler can be set up for long range, but my bet is the 600i is best to bump around the verse in. I have wanted to combine tracker, stealth and EWar capability into a single ride for ages, and that bird looks like might do. Gotta be a long range ship though and the stock Prowler is short range.

I think NPCs, each with their own sniper rifles and X1-Force, for turrets and general backup. Should make a potent Bounty Hunting ship, especially if we can mount a pair of S4 ballistics in each of the three S5 chin mounts. I do wish it had a ventral turret--seems the only thing missing.
Particularly with two scanning seats instead of the the single one found of most ships of comparable size. This lends it an advantage as potentially one person can focus on defensive scanning I.E. tracking hostiles and having the second focus on searching.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
Look... the pilot seat just needs to be a toilet. Everything else is ‘meh-whatever’; but the next time I lose a dogfight because I have to make a Class-I download...

Honestly, the original Mustang Beta, with its VW Bus-esqu bed, kitchenette, and cubbords for Big Benny’s was anything I really wanted in a ship. Make easy access to repairable pieces, ample shields in lieu of big weapons, an agile frame and a fast engine or two for darting thru asteroid fields, and I would be content.

I’ve sailed from San Diego to Hawaii on a 20ft, fiberglass boat with a chemical toilet and a solar panel with 2 other people and was totally comfortable.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Look... the pilot seat just needs to be a toilet. Everything else is ‘meh-whatever’; but the next time I lose a dogfight because I have to make a Class-I download...

Honestly, the original Mustang Beta, with its VW Bus-esqu bed, kitchenette, and cubbords for Big Benny’s was anything I really wanted in a ship. Make easy access to repairable pieces, ample shields in lieu of big weapons, an agile frame and a fast engine or two for darting thru asteroid fields, and I would be content.

I’ve sailed from San Diego to Hawaii on a 20ft, fiberglass boat with a chemical toilet and a solar panel with 2 other people and was totally comfortable.
Just eat some chunky peanut butter on an MRE cracker. Won't have to shit for a week. Works wonders.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Particularly with two scanning seats instead of the the single one found of most ships of comparable size. This lends it an advantage as potentially one person can focus on defensive scanning I.E. tracking hostiles and having the second focus on searching.
There are two possibilities for the enhanced scan of a larger ship. First is you simply have more range. Originally they were stipulating a distinction between long and short range scanning, but that may have gone to the wayside. I think the intention right now is just S, M, L and Cap in each of the three types, so it matters what ships can carry a more powerful array. The Tracker and Sen are S. The Freelancer Dur, Connie, 600i and Terrapin are M. (This makes the Terrapin a very potent little sneaktheif scan package, way more capable than the Tracker.) The Carrack is L and the Polaris and up are C. (My guess is they will change the Carrack to Cap. makes no sense to have a similarly sized ship like the Polaris, do what the Carrack specializes in and do it better.) Probably a second scan seat in the 600i does not increase the range.

However, there are three different kinds of scan: Electromagnetic (EM) is put out by everything that runs on electricity and is not shielded. Infrared (IR) comes from everything that gets hot, especially including engines. Radar Cross section (RCS) comes from all physical objects, but needs an active pulse to detect, and that pulse will give away the position of the one sending it under normal conditions.

I think (but do not know) that the second scan seat allows ships like the 600i to perform more than a single kind of scan at a time. So even though it would probably not have greater range than a Connie or Dur, it can scan for EM and IR both at once, which should present a pretty serious advantage.

Forgot your password?