in The Pit

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I really want to use my sticks for shooting, lol
I think about this often, and I am not opoosed to using a mouse. Sounds like if you have gimbaled weapons that would be the best choice, but I am no longer convinced the Vanguard needs gimbals, and the step up in firepower from fixed is most welcome.

Have you flow the Vanguard since the last fix or seen the vids? Seems to rotate just fine to me. It will still skid through turns and is a big target, so not ever gonna be the best dog-fighter, but these are not reasons to fly gimbals. And gees, who doesn't want that big S5 laser or a pair of the S4 ballistic canons on the chin?

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I think about this often, and I am not opoosed to using a mouse. Sounds like if you have gimbaled weapons that would be the best choice, but I am no longer convinced the Vanguard needs gimbals, and the step up in firepower from fixed is most welcome.

Have you flow the Vanguard since the last fix or seen the vids? Seems to rotate just fine to me. It will still skid through turns and is a big target, so not ever gonna be the best dog-fighter, but these are not reasons to fly gimbals. And gees, who doesn't want that big S5 laser or a pair of the S4 ballistic canons on the chin?
I meant in FPS combat... With a shotgun, preferably, lol.

I have flown a Vanguard in the last 4 patches.

2.6.0- Vanguard was amazing and could compete in AC. It moved like a heavy fighter.

2.6.1- CIG nerfed the maneuverability but improved the DPS of the quad lasers by 40%. Vanguard dropped from the AC leaderboards and was flown by the stubborn.

2.6.2- CIG nerfed the maneuverability again. Most people stopped flying the Vanguard in AC.

2.6.3- CIG nerfed the maneuverability just a tad more but doubled the missile payload on the Warden.

I prefered the 2.6.0 version and I bought a Harbinger after I flew it. I was so happy. After 2.6.2, I melted it, though I can still fly a Hoplite thanks to my Redeemer.

The Vanguard is weak to fighters since that top turret doesn't do much right now. It can't turn well enough to shake a fighter off of its tail or keep them from taking out the engines.

Up against a Caterpillar or a Gemini, the Vanguard is a flying reaper. The larger ships can't stop it since it has enough firepower to pop the turrets while face tanking all of their damage. A hornet does more dps than the Warden but can't face tank a turret, though it can dodge so it doesn't have to.

I can see a sentinel being useful with its e-warfare suite. I can see a Harbinger being useful with its extra armor and torpedo payload. Both of them won't be popular up against fighters but both of these fight in deep space, out where short range fighters will need a carrier.

I decided that the Vanguard wasn't for me right now, though if CIG changed the Harbinger for the better, I'd still be tempted to get one. I think that the design forces fixed, even though I run mine with a gimballed combine. I just don't like how large the ship is compared to its firepower. It catches too many shots and has vulnerable engines that I don't want to deal with. I feel like my Cutlass has an easier time keeping its engines and you can shoot a a Cutlass engine from almost every direction.

I like the idea of the Redeemer better. Seems like the better of the two even though it may be years before it hits the PU.

These are just my experiences and feelings. I can't point to numbers and tell you why I don't get good vibes from flying this ship.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think the Redeemer will be faster than the Vanguards, but right now it is way short in the missile department, the turrets are too small, it won't be handy in atmosphere and has no EM warfare capability which is I think where all the fun "sneaky tricks" are gonna be found. OTOH, for all these in one package, the 600i may suffice.

In the meantime, I do appreciate the Vanguard is not something you want to take against a dog-fighter. Still sounds it will be good against larger targets though, and doesn't need a mouse or gimbals.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Shame Owl had to sell his Reclaimer. Would be great to take a team out and see if you can kill 100 Vanduul fighters in a day and recover 10. Could be big cash in that.
There are going to be a few ships that I think I'll be missing. Reclaimer is right there, along with my Vanguard series. :(
Take mine. I've got a Reclaimer, Crucible, and Idris we can use. Just salvage, fix, and store as we go.
I`ll be flying with you my friend, haha. You`re going to need people to man those ships.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
With only a Mustang to fly, I don't have very much range yet, so crewing will be my outlet.
The Mustang is a damn fine ship to fly, It can't hit shit with those peashooters, but damn, try to hit one :beers:
There are going to be a few ships that I think I'll be missing. Reclaimer is right there, along with my Vanguard series. :(
I'll save a Vanguard for you to fly.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Crying in the beer is not allowed. Not allowed!

Freekin' Canadians just don't get we don't want warm beer.

I'm ready to go with you guys either in space or planet-side once 3.0 is here. With only a Mustang to fly, I don't have very much range yet, so crewing will be my outlet.
Given I will be starting so late, I'm sure my piloting skills will be very low, so I am hoping to start in the second seat of a Sentinel. People always think about piloting, but the turret play is only just about to open, and combined with all the sneaky tricks of the Sentinel's EM Warfare package, that is going to be a very cool seat--and one no one would want to fill with an NPC. Needs a smart guy like Grap. Same with the second seat in the Hoplite--needs a raw meat-eating FPS guy to lead those troops.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Crying in the beer is not allowed. Not allowed!

Freekin' Canadians just don't get we don't want warm beer.

Given I will be starting so late, I'm sure my piloting skills will be very low, so I am hoping to start in the second seat of a Sentinel. People always think about piloting, but the turret play is only just about to open, and combined with all the sneaky tricks of the Sentinel's EM Warfare package, that is going to be a very cool seat--and one no one would want to fill with an NPC. Needs a smart guy like Grap. Same with the second seat in the Hoplite--needs a raw meat-eating FPS guy to lead those troops.
Get me any gun with a belt and a twin barrel shotgun and I'll give you a monster to lead your troops to Hell and back.

Used to play BF3 and BF4.
My Resume:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/stevetank/stats/344962394/pc/

Then I got better

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/stevetank/stats/344962394/pc/

Note the gold world division for shotguns and silver for machine guns. 96 kills with an EoD bot (has a melee torch) and a 1.39 KD ratio.

Time played: 193 hours.

Forgot your password?