is the Carrack undermanned?

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
we now have the Carrack with recommended crew of 4 to 6 people. here are the stations i counted on my carrack
1- CARTOGRAPHY
1 ENGINEERING (BIG ENOUGH FOR 2)
2 DRONE OPERATORS
1 REPAIR ROOM
1 REMOTE TOP TURRET
1 SUPPORT UPPER STATION
1 BRIDGE UPPER NAVIGATION STATION
1 BRIDGE UPPER PILOT STATION
2 LOWER copilot station
1 LOWER PILOT SEAT (MAIN)
1 DOCTOR STATION
1 SHUTTLE
1 WHEELED VEHICLE

4 turret stations
looking at all the stations one could comfortably use 8 people to man everything, especially if you find yourself in combat.
What do you think?

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
This is the naval ship versus civilian ship. So the naval ship could have all the stations full or at least controlled overlap when in civilian hands cost of running such ship becomes much more pragmatic and has less crew (nevermind running 4 watches). The Carrack was a military ship and could have been crewed to a higher level then. Just sitting at an empty desk for most of the time with bursts of activity is generally only something governments are prepared to pay for whilst covering several stations should be the norm for a civilian ship. (When under times of stress it would be less efficient when those people are over stretched).

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Simple solution, the medical bed creates intelligent clones of the crew before heading into combat or hazardous situations to fully crew each station, then after they are no longer of service, they are discarded out the airlocks. Or inside some of the numerous empty cabinets for storage, could be NPC droids to handle various tasks that the rest of the crew aren't actively handling themselves. SC versions of R2D2 confirmed?!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The only essential positions are the pilot and turret gunners.

Once a threat has been eliminated, the gunners fill other positions.

I would say a crew of 6 would be pretty sufficient for a long term journey.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Last night my Carrack did very well without anyone onboard while in QT. Well, I was on board until I needed a drink. Then I found myself up in the empty Cartography room and wanted a better view of the QT light show so I stepped outside above the hanger... Only to find myself quickly in space as my ship zoomed out of sight doing well with no crew on board.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
Last night my Carrack did very well without anyone onboard while in QT. Well, I was on board until I needed a drink. Then I found myself up in the empty Cartography room and wanted a better view of the QT light show so I stepped outside above the hanger... Only to find myself quickly in space as my ship zoomed out of sight doing well with no crew on board.
yea she dose have a mind of her own lol

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Now that's TESTing. Haha

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The Carrack really does have a mind of its own.
I logged off in a medical bed last night on Hurston outside Lorville premiter gate after getting the Ursa situated in the vehicle bay. This morning when I logged on I found myself orbiting the Stanton star inside the planetary orbits. No big deal the Carrack has plenty of fuel, but I should do an EVA to verify everything is intact. Upon leaving the airlock over the hanger the ship disappears. Perhaps a suicide will allow me to spawn back in the ICU of the Carrack... nope I'm in the hab on Hurston.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
I think on the subject of manpower we would expect a ship like Carrack to have hotbunking for 2 or 3 operating crews probably.

Consider that a US Navy Arleigh Burke class destroyer is similar in size (155m) and has a crew of about 300 with I believe 3 duty rotations.

Realistically I think crew duties will break down based on what condition is set - i.e., a jump scanning mission does not require the same stations be staffed that general quarters\red alert does - but overall I think a 'real world' crew roster would be about 10-12 with a maximum of 17 or 18 assuming hot-bunking in Captain's quarters as well which is not likely.

I suspect there is still some unused volume that could make an additional cabin to double the crew billet but without the rec room or additional head.

'Gimp

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I think on the subject of manpower we would expect a ship like Carrack to have hotbunking for 2 or 3 operating crews probably.

Consider that a US Navy Arleigh Burke class destroyer is similar in size (155m) and has a crew of about 300 with I believe 3 duty rotations.

Realistically I think crew duties will break down based on what condition is set - i.e., a jump scanning mission does not require the same stations be staffed that general quarters\red alert does - but overall I think a 'real world' crew roster would be about 10-12 with a maximum of 17 or 18 assuming hot-bunking in Captain's quarters as well which is not likely.

I suspect there is still some unused volume that could make an additional cabin to double the crew billet but without the rec room or additional head.

'Gimp
i agree, hotbunking would be great allowing a bit bigger crew

Forgot your password?