Is this new ARGO leak a cargo or refinery ship? Video

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
While cargo hauling is pretty populated, the only thing we have in the way of loading up ships incapable of landing on planets or stations right now is the Argo Cargo. Which is a pretty tiny ship for loading up massive cargo haulers like Hull C/D/E.
It would kind of make sense that Argo produces an upgraded version of the Argo Cargo, which can load up those larger ships faster. Hull E is also able to swap out the 4th spindle for something like a hangar, so could be couple of these could be landed there to even take stuff down to planets and other stuff back up again. (Even Hull D could have something similar).

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
@Montoya the "mistery thing flying the angle is a drone... like one fo the repair drone out of the Aegis Vulcan: the engine are centered and the four think stiking aout are the utlity arms retracted....

While cargo hauling is pretty populated, the only thing we have in the way of loading up ships incapable of landing on planets or stations right now is the Argo Cargo. Which is a pretty tiny ship for loading up massive cargo haulers like Hull C/D/E.
It would kind of make sense that Argo produces an upgraded version of the Argo Cargo, which can load up those larger ships faster. Hull E is also able to swap out the 4th spindle for something like a hangar, so could be couple of these could be landed there to even take stuff down to planets and other stuff back up again. (Even Hull D could have something similar).
Well I actually disagree... Yes the MPUV is a small utility ship but is not the only cargo ship capable of going space-to-surface... actuall do to the lack of the Q-Drive I think is the worst one.
One of the best ship for moving cargo ship-to-ship in space I think is Cuttlass Black: those wide open side doors are perfect to move out cargo boxes, and you can do that from both side aat the same time, basically loading/unloading two ship togheter.

and also basically every ship that have a cargo bay can do the job... even the Aurora or the Pisces...

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Well I actually disagree... Yes the MPUV is a small utility ship but is not the only cargo ship capable of going space-to-surface... actuall do to the lack of the Q-Drive I think is the worst one.
It's for moving cargo station-to-ship primarily, with the option to get to the surface.
I'm thinking RAFT could be similar, just bigger and better at it.
Kinda like Hull series isn't just C, but it's A, B, C, D, and E.

One of the best ship for moving cargo ship-to-ship in space I think is Cuttlass Black: those wide open side doors are perfect to move out cargo boxes, and you can do that from both side aat the same time, basically loading/unloading two ship togheter.

and also basically every ship that have a cargo bay can do the job... even the Aurora or the Pisces...
Well, Cutlass Black wouldn't be that great at station-to-ship compared to a ship that can just land on top of cargo and lift off, fly to target and dump, possibly use a tractor beam turret to organize. Basically anything that has an internal cargo bay would be vastly inferior. Not to mention, if RAFT can move 5 standard large containers, that's more cargo than most small ships could handle.

Reactions: Vavrik

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Is anyone else annoyed we keep getting ships rushed through the pipeline while we still have no Taurus, no BMM, no Polaris, no X1, no Vanguard or Tally modules, no Redeemer? I'm annoyed. I need beer.
I get real exited every time a new ship is announced or delivered, even if old ones haven't been, but then again I have the attention span of a goldfish suffering from ADHD so that might just be me.

Really looking forward to more intel on BMM and Hulls though. Well, we might finally get something later this year.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Is anyone else annoyed we keep getting ships rushed through the pipeline while we still have no Taurus, no BMM, no Polaris, no X1, no Vanguard or Tally modules, no Redeemer? I'm annoyed. I need beer.
Yes. There are a lot more ships on that list, and it is annoying when a new ship jumps to the front of the line. I'm just glad I haven't been forced to wait 7 or 8 years for anything... yet. I have a couple/few on my list that might take that long at this rate though.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
@FZD and @Cugino83
Don't forget about the Caterpillar, side and front doors, a lot of cargo space, quantum capable, atmosphere capable, and has giant tractor beams (currently unimplemented) on both sides of the ship. Until something else better is designed, if you need to quickly and efficiently unload an Hull C/D/E in space, due to a lack of a space station, to transport the cargo to the ground, the the Caterpillar is the ship of choice.

The next best, but more convoluted, choice would be to use an MPUV to unload the Hull C/D/E to Hull A/Bs, then the Hull A/Bs transport the cargo to the ground.

I'd like to add the BMM as well, but until we know more about how loading/unloading cargo on it will work and just how much storage capacity is going to be lost to the bazaar and reworks, I'll have to refrain.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
@FZD and @Cugino83
Don't forget about the Caterpillar, side and front doors, a lot of cargo space, quantum capable, atmosphere capable, and has giant tractor beams (currently unimplemented) on both sides of the ship. Until something else better is designed, if you need to quickly and efficiently unload an Hull C/D/E in space, due to a lack of a space station, to transport the cargo to the ground, the the Caterpillar is the ship of choice.

The next best, but more convoluted, choice would be to use an MPUV to unload the Hull C/D/E to Hull A/Bs, then the Hull A/Bs transport the cargo to the ground.

I'd like to add the BMM as well, but until we know more about how loading/unloading cargo on it will work and just how much storage capacity is going to be lost to the bazaar and reworks, I'll have to refrain.
Hmm, yes, I can see how that would work, especially in ship-to-surface situations. But with 60 SCU, the RAFT could fit nicely between the 2 SCU Argo Cargo and the 600 SCU Caterpillar.
Not to mention in a ship-to-station situation, I'm not entirely sure how well a caterpillar would work, I mean, yes, it has massive cargo space and it's somewhat easy to load and unload, however it's also quite slow and big, which could be a factor. Like could it even directly access the cargo deck in a meaningful way, or would it then need to be unloaded by a bunch of Argo Cargos, kinda defeating the purpose.

I mean, none of these are reasons why it couldn't be a ship-to-station support hauler. Nor are any of these really reasons why it *must* be a support hauler, I'm just saying it'd fit pretty well in the Argo lineup. And it's called RAFT, which seems to suggest some sort of transport.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I'm wondering if it can grab things other than the five storage pods. If it could grab a Ballista and deliver it, that is worth writing home about.
That's a great point. However, if it's 60 SCUs as I've estimated (and I could be WAY off with that estimate, it's just that those boxes being standard large containers would make the most sense to me considering the ships dimensions), that matches Ursa Rover. Ballista or Tonk might be too big. Still, it'd be pretty neat.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I've always factored it up to them doing ships and assets for SQ42 first. But there is also a part of me that also is aware that the potential for keeping the revenue stream flowing also has to be a factor. They have already collected our cash for the old ships they need to sell new ships to continue to fund the project.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Hmm, yes, I can see how that would work, especially in ship-to-surface situations. But with 60 SCU, the RAFT could fit nicely between the 2 SCU Argo Cargo and the 600 SCU Caterpillar.
Not to mention in a ship-to-station situation, I'm not entirely sure how well a caterpillar would work, I mean, yes, it has massive cargo space and it's somewhat easy to load and unload, however it's also quite slow and big, which could be a factor. Like could it even directly access the cargo deck in a meaningful way, or would it then need to be unloaded by a bunch of Argo Cargos, kinda defeating the purpose.

I mean, none of these are reasons why it couldn't be a ship-to-station support hauler. Nor are any of these really reasons why it *must* be a support hauler, I'm just saying it'd fit pretty well in the Argo lineup. And it's called RAFT, which seems to suggest some sort of transport.
The tractor beams on either side of the Caterpillar are for loading and unloading, people just forget about them because their functionality is not yet implemented.

As for the R.A.F.T., I would not be surprised if Montoya's guess about the 'R' standing for 'Refining' is accurate.

Reactions: FZD

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I am HOPING it will be a refinery ship.

I am also hoping that refining will also be a way to turn salvage and scrap into usable materials.

Imagine, buying bulk scrap...let's say 100 SCU for about 16k UEC, and finding out that after refining, you could get 15-50k depending on the random roll of the dice and your skill at refining (numbers made up). For instance, You buy bulk scrap, and it contains 75 percent Aluminum, 10 percent titanium, 10 percent gold, and 5 percent Bexalite

Scrap: 1.35-1.6 buy price x 100 scu = 13500-16000 aUEC
Aluminum 1.3 sell price x 75 scu = 9750 aUEC
Titanium: 8.9 sell price x 10 SCU = 8900 aUEC
Gold: 6.4 sell price x 10 SCU = 6400 aUEC
Bexalite: 44 sell price x 15 SCU = 22000 aSCU

Sell price of 47,050 UEC
Profit of 31,050 to 33,550 aUEC per batch.

Of course, you might not get that bexalite, you might get something else. You might get 75 percent aluminum, 25 percent Titanium, or 25 percent gold. You would still get a profit, but not very much. If you are not very good at refining, you might even lose money or damage your ship.

Just seems like it might be an interesting way to try and make money...

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
A larger Argo cargo ship makes some sense. But, plenty of haulers already. A smaller refueling ship would be better to round out available game play further.

Forgot your password?