It has begun

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Having watched the Player vs Player salt pyre I'm starting to wonder exactly how the resident gangs of Pyro would really react to unbridled kill-anything-that-moves PvP player present in their system...?

Even Pyro is going to have some consequence for no-holds-barred mass murder isn't it? You mess up a player who had friend rep with Xenothreat, you are now minus rep with Xenothreat and you are not welcome on their turf or actively attacked by them. You rack up a kill count to rival Dread Pirate Roberts even without directly threatening them, and they are going to start wondering if they have a threat on their boarder anyway... before too long multiple gangs have you on a persona non grata list and peaceful resupply points will treat you as a threat and either refuse service or pre-emptively attack... at that point there isn't going to be any where to restock/refuel is there? You can't go back to Stanton because you're a mass murderer, you can't use any "neutral" stations as you are a threat to everyone and you can't use any pirate stations because what pirate would welcome a loose cannon on deck and you're down to your last fifteen minute jump of Quantum... and any refuel player with an ounce of sanity is going to steer clear from you... left high and dry hoist by ones own petard?

Now don't mistake my musing about murderhobo play for criticising pirate play. It's a very delicate balance between disruptive griefing and intended disruptive pirate play, and I think it boils down to does the players play session (pirate or griefer) benefit from the disruption they have brought to another players play session: Destroying a hauler to steal their cargo is disruptive to the hauler but benefits the pirate who takes the cargo progresses their own game play session. Pad camping and blowing up any ship that spawns serves no benefit to the griefers play session apart from their own perverted sense of self satisfaction...

So for those players who would indulge in non-productive disruption, will the rep system eventually see them sat on their bum with a dry tank and nowhere to respawn without attending a correctional facility first to get them back in to Stanton and still have negative rep in the PvP paradise of Pyro?

I know there needs to be a place for consequence free PvP, I'm not denying it's fun, however it could be argued just as In Real Life where we have computer games for that, SC indeed has in 'Verse computer games such as AC and Star Marine for that - for one, you respawn instantly.

For more on my thoughts on PvP where it lacks the Verses and consensual and consequential PvP please see my previous thread: https://testsquadron.com/threads/some-thoughts-on-player-verses-player-when-it-lacks-the-verses.19948/

Last edited:

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
Having watched the Player vs Player salt pyre I'm starting to wonder exactly how the resident gangs of Pyro would really react to unbridled kill-anything-that-moves PvP player present in their system...?

Even Pyro is going to have some consequence for no-holds-barred mass murder isn't it?
why do you think they oppose the UEE?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

I don't deny the Lore, what I doubt is a single player will be able to support a rampage in Pyro without soon being considered a threat and turned away by any installation of any kind able to resupply/refuel.

PvPers may have to align to at least one pirate/lawless faction and not attack others under that flag or fall out of favour with them and run out of fuel...?

Last edited:

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
I don't deny the Lore, what I doubt is a single player will be able to support a rampage in Pyro without soon being considered a threat and turned away by any installation of any kind able to resupply/refuel.

PvPers may have to align to at least one pirate/lawless faction and not attack others under that flag or call out of favour with them and run out of fuel...?
that's what we refer to in professional lingo as "future feature".

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

PvPers may have to align to at least one pirate/lawless faction and not attack others under that flag or fall out of favour with them and run out of fuel...?
Why would they run out of fuel when they can steal it? Honestly if they are skilled even not being able to offload goods at fences or being able to buy ammo and fuel shouldn't be a show stopper as long as they can find new victims to plunder. If the system is working correctly then bounties would increase in size and thus they would be kept busy which would reduce their ability to wreck havoc upon traders and thus reduce their ability to resupply. In fact this play loop would be enjoyable for both the pirate and bounty hunters creating the dynamic content needed.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Seems like hardcore pvping all around hmm? Don’t travel alone guys, group up!
At the very least remember that entering Pyro, you're choosing to enter an area that in lore claims to be lawless & have multiple aggressive gangs at war with each other for territory, so expect to have somebody attack you & do your best to be prepared for that.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Because they couldn't get access to TEST brand toilet paper at that time? Silly people, they should've realized that the legend of TEST TP was initiated by time traveling TESTies that accidentally went back in time on a heavily drunken beer run that took the wrong anomaly thinking it was a new jump point. Oops!?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Why would they run out of fuel when they can steal it? Honestly if they are skilled even not being able to offload goods at fences or being able to buy ammo and fuel shouldn't be a show stopper as long as they can find new victims to plunder. If the system is working correctly then bounties would increase in size and thus they would be kept busy which would reduce their ability to wreck havoc upon traders and thus reduce their ability to resupply. In fact this play loop would be enjoyable for both the pirate and bounty hunters creating the dynamic content needed.
Now you've done it, + 6 months to dev time to add rubber hoses to the game to be able to syphon fuel out of other players ships :thump:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Oh man. Do you poison yourself if you fail the stop sucking when the fuel is at the end of the hose check?
You'd probably just blow your head off if you had a smoke going on while you were doing it, it's like Rocket fuel or something.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
Because they couldn't get access to TEST brand toilet paper at that time? Silly people, they should've realized that the legend of TEST TP was initiated by time traveling TESTies that accidentally went back in time on a heavily drunken beer run that took the wrong anomaly thinking it was a new jump point. Oops!?
that is possibly one of the best origin stories I've ever heard.

Forgot your password?