IT view at the Star Citizen universe - what do you think

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I agree with everything you said. But like I said, it can prevent someone else in your network from messing with your game data. (/ninjaedit I haven't tested it but in my experience the overhead for encryption nowadays is next to nothing, I host quite a few heavy websites (100-500hits per second) and when we switched to https I don't think we even noticed)
And I likewise agree with your points as well. I should add that I am not in web or client/server development or management so I'm sure I'll quickly be out of my depth delving too far into the security discussion, nor will I be any help at all with app development (I still fight with getting my oven timer set, much less trying to program anything lol). I don't often need to engage in security practices at work so it's fun to stretch those muscles every now and then.

and this is why I hope we'd get unencrypted read only access to market data :slight_smile:
It's unlikely that we'll get totally unencrypted read access, but I have hope that CIG will provide an API for this. EVE Online provides a *very* powerful API called "CREST", but it only allows you to request a single data point at a time so getting bulk data out of it takes forever. Most of the EVE market sites still use a data upload system to get information, but that's far from a perfect system as you have to have people scanning data.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Still, at this stage it isn't very important - what kind of access we'd have etc ... let's assume that one way or another we have periodical (exact period TBD) buy/sell prices and demand volumes per commodity per location ... how and where we should process this stuff in 21st century ? Any ideas

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Still, at this stage it isn't very important - what kind of access we'd have etc ... let's assume that one way or another we have periodical (exact period TBD) buy/sell prices and demand volumes per commodity per location ... how and where we should process this stuff in 21st century ? Any ideas
Probably a website with a DB, most languages will do.. totally depends on who is willing to take on the project and what they are most comfortable coding with. Same goes for managing the hosting infrastucture, depends on what the developer wants and whats most comfortable for the admin. But I am going to guess that if this will be a TEST initiative it will be seung/chris hosting it xD

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Web browser based most likely. You don't want to have to worry about platform compatibility, there are numerous languages that will complete the task, and honestly if you're researching market data you're probably at your PC. If the front end dev is clever enough to incorporate responsive design into the interface then you've got mobile/tablet friendly covered.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Probably a website with a DB
well .. as forums are part of website - having one more seems to be redundant ... as for DB the good question is - what kind of DB ... ( to ensure structured and unstructured data storage and querying etc. ) ... and as for who - we'd figure it out here eventually .. I don't believe into 1-2 man projects :)

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Web browser based most likely. You don't want to have to worry about platform compatibility, there are numerous languages that will complete the task, and honestly if you're researching market data you're probably at your PC. If the front end dev is clever enough to incorporate responsive design into the interface then you've got mobile/tablet friendly covered.
I think you are mixing several roles into one here ... let's eliminate presentation layer for now .. whatever our data is - it has to be stored in the widely accessible storage (i.e. no PC) ... also some "trained" or just "successfull" queries have to be easily shareable ( so something like R or python or .... - to be discussed ) ... and of course - you are right - ability to get local copy for some exotic exercises over data is needed as well

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hey, that's just another proof that TEST is big enough for everyone ... even for those guys who could have this geek talk for hours and days lol
True Story! And I appreciate each and every one of you french/latin/gaelic/klingon speaking nerds!
And it is the whole idea - while it is possible to have good life just on beer and steaks, having beer, steaks, and geek talk is even better :slight_smile: (at least for me :slight_smile: )
Also a true story. I do consider myself to be a 'geek' . . .but you lads, you lads are shining a very bright light on my shadow of knowledge. Cheers!
I like bears, steak, beer, moose stalking, wearing stockings, stocking shelves in muy fridge with beer drinking @Blind Owl's beer, camping, fire places, and making fun of the American Revolution.
FTFY.
Please come home soon
I'm out of camping for good .. my back doesn't allow it to be fun any more, that's why I stick with geek talk. As for american revolution
Ha! Jokes! I love it.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I am not a geek...I am an engineer....which means I am both a geek and a nerd...a Gnerk...

Seriously, I would love to help out with this. I would probably be horrible at the coding (you really don't want an engineer coding if you have a real programmer available...trust me), but I can help with laying out what would be needed.

Thoughts on the matter...

I don't think that CIG will go into elliptical orbits. I think they will probably stick with circular orbits with each orbiting body having a set orbit around one other body (no interactions between the star and massive planets for instance). I also doubt they will account for stellar drift or movement around the galactic core. That means we can reduce things down to some basic data sets.

So, by knowing the time it takes a planet to orbit a particular star (or moon/satellite to orbit a planet/moon), plus an offset constant, we can generate a set of known coordinates for each body in a star system.

Now, I also suspect that at some point, CIG is going to "cheat". That is, it will have material in the game that doesn't move about another body. It will just sit fixed in space. It could be that only planets move and everything else is a fixed position. It could be that planets and moons move, but everything else is fixed. They may also have stations move. The thing is, every time you have stuff move, you need to add that into your calculations going on behind the scenes. While that may not seem like much, they are talking about 100 star systems or so. Each star system will have planetary systems. Each planetary system might have a satellite system. You are now talking about significantly larger overhead of things to keep track of.

So, we need to find out from CIG what will be "moving" in space (just planets, planets and moons, everything....) Once we know, we can come up with a way to map everything.

Being honest, I think that if they are going to go through all that work, the information will probably be available through the star map (ark)

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
@Thalstan ... I could have been an engineer and i could have been a programmer.. lol.. just never had time/money to pursue in a serious manner.
Also.. if i remember correctly.. and maybe someone can remind me but i am pretty sure they had showed one system that had an object that orbited outside that solar systems normal orbital plane and was on an elliptical orbit and i believe they had said something about unlawful people liking to use it for whatever.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Honestly at this time it would be a waste of resources and time to set anything up yet I do agree with a web bassed plugin though and just host it directly off this site. My question is do we actually own this webspace and have full control of the URLs? If that is the case then we do not need to follow the format of this site(which I believe is PHP?) and we can pretty much do anything obviously Java would be the easiest but as I have said before Java has security risks and some people may have it disabled.(I wouldn't be able to look at work) A simple SQL DB with entry fields would suffice until an API is released or until we want to set something up more seriously though. Food for thought.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Honestly at this time it would be a waste of resources and time to set anything up yet
Of course. At this time only design activities with minimal prototyping make sence . As for form for pre-defined queries against SQL DB - it could potentially pose more risk than having real application layer in java ... by the way - as long as it is server based your "at work" restrictions wouldn't limit you at all.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Of course. At this time only design activities with minimal prototyping make sence . As for form for pre-defined queries against SQL DB - it could potentially pose more risk than having real application layer in java ... by the way - as long as it is server based your "at work" restrictions wouldn't limit you at all.
They completely disabled Java so Java doesn't work at all those guys are stupid smarr

Forgot your password?