IT view at the Star Citizen universe - what do you think

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Of course you can .. just open your browser, go to google.com, type online solitaire and play .. no need to go to any other site :slight_smile:
here is the link in case you want to add it to bookmarks :slight_smile: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=online+solitaire
LOL sites are monitored wouldnt take the chance. Could try to find a excel version

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Looking at the schedule report. From what it says, planets will orbit, not just rotate. That means we will need to keep track of that if we do an app. (this is under user experience polish pass section rotating and orbiting planets subsection.)

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Looking at the schedule report. From what it says, planets will orbit, not just rotate. That means we will need to keep track of that if we do an app. (this is under user experience polish pass section rotating and orbiting planets subsection.)
That could be tough as each planet could rotate at different speeds... and if there are 100 galaxies full of planets would only be possible if A) they all rotated at the same speed or B) there was some sort of data put out by cig to let us know.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
thing is, each planet will have a specific rotation (day/night) and orbital prior (how long it takes to go around the sun). You might also need to know either the sidereal or synodic orbital periods for objects that orbit something, that is orbiting a star. It can get even more complex than that...that said, since I don't think (but might be wrong) that the stars move around the galactic core or move through space, is that each planet in a circular orbit will be able to have it's position calculated by the time, its known orbital time period, and a time offset to account tell you when the planet goes through point in space where the heading angle is 0 from the star, This SHOULD get you really really close. To get to a moon, it's something similar but uses the planet as a reference. Using these, you should be able to add vectors to get from where you are, to where you ned to be.

Now, all that said, what it does not account for is suff that is in your way that you need avoid. This includes if the destination is on the exact opposite side of the star from you. You will probably need to make a detour. After all "Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

Today's home computers can handle these calculations. The key is accuracy. Exact distances will be critical to find small things without a marker/beacon. Orbital periods will need to be within seconds to get things right, and the more error you have, the greater chance you will have of not finding yourself at the expected destination.

Reactions: StdDev

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
since I don't think (but might be wrong) that the stars move around the galactic core or move through space
They definitely do, but it doesn't matter as there are no "conventional" means to travel between stars, and hence we'd need to jump to the star system first

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
If they do move, it means the "zero" mark moves too, so you still need to account for it. For your reference, my 0 mark is pointed directly at the galactic core.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
If they do move, it means the "zero" mark moves too, so you still need to account for it. For your reference, my 0 mark is pointed directly at the galactic core.
i dont think cig is going to go that deep with planet rotation it doesnt bring enough benefit to the game or gameplay. also objects rarely drift from orbits of planetary bodies and if they did not get pulled in by one they would be to far off to find. so with this said you can narrow objects down to planetary bodies or other key large objects which form a gravitational pull. still alot of space to cover and objects still fly at different speeds in orbit. cig so far hasnt moved any objects at varying speeds around any bodies yet i believe they are following planet rotational speed. with this said you would only need to map in accordance with each planets orbit. if this changes it truly wil be impossible to track objects and require a beacon to be placed directly onto any object of interest.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
If they do move, it means the "zero" mark moves too, so you still need to account for it.
most logical zero mark within star system and outside of planetary orbits is center of mass of stars (easily calculated in case of single star) .. and it wouldn't move anyway

For your reference, my 0 mark is pointed directly at the galactic core.
We talk about precise measurements here, right ? To what point in the galactic core your mark 0 is attached and how you calculate this point ? :P

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
For any coordinate system to work...x,y,z, polar, whatever, you need to have a center reference point, and then two 0 angles. One is the plane of the ecliptic, the other is much more difficult, If the plane of the ecliptic is on the same plane as the galactic spiral, then just use the galaxy center as your reference point....if not...well, things can get complicated.

For 3d polar coordinates, you need two angles and a distance. With an x,y,z coordinate system, the 0,0,0 reference is still the star (or center of mass of a binary or trinary star system. Same for a polar system. The only thing that polar coordinates will give you is an easy way to calculate a position.

Say the 0 degree mark is coincident with time 0. We will also assume earth is 8 light minutes from the sun and that distance is 149,597,870 km (not exact time, but we are using round numbers for ease of math) and Earth lies directly on the ecliptic and the orbit is perfectly circular.

an orbit is 360 degrees. So for an orbit taking 1 earth year, (31,557,600s),

So, that means the earth is traveling 360/31557600 degrees per second or...1.1408x10-5 degrees per second.

so if you able to be at the center of the system (impossible but let's say you were) it takes about 8 mintues to travel from the sun to the earth. That means

Now, if you were leaving earth at 00:00:00 on day 100, to find your intercept course for earth, you need the distance to earth (149,597,870 km)
(60*60*24*100+60*8)*1.1408x10-5 (angle to where it is right now, plus the angle it will be at when you have traveled that distance.

This means your course is light speed for 8 minutes at heading 98.5706 degrees mark 0 (where mark is -90 to +90 degrees off the ecliptic.

Obviously, if you are traveling faster or slower than light speed, the numbers will be different.

If you don't account for your travel time, you will be off by a significant amount. Since earth travels at 30km a second (again, approx), if you don't take into account your 8 minute travel time, you will arrive at a distance of 14,400 KM away from your intended destination. While this is not bad for a planet the size of earth...if your speed was 1/3 the speed of light, that would put you 43,200 km away from earth..If your target was a space station instead of a planet, that would be a huge difference.

Reactions: Sirus7264

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
For any coordinate system to work...x,y,z, polar, whatever, you need to have a center reference point, and then two 0 angles. One is the plane of the ecliptic, the other is much more difficult, If the plane of the ecliptic is on the same plane as the galactic spiral, then just use the galaxy center as your reference point....if not...well, things can get complicated.

For 3d polar coordinates, you need two angles and a distance. With an x,y,z coordinate system, the 0,0,0 reference is still the star (or center of mass of a binary or trinary star system. Same for a polar system. The only thing that polar coordinates will give you is an easy way to calculate a position.

Say the 0 degree mark is coincident with time 0. We will also assume earth is 8 light minutes from the sun and that distance is 149,597,870 km (not exact time, but we are using round numbers for ease of math) and Earth lies directly on the ecliptic and the orbit is perfectly circular.

an orbit is 360 degrees. So for an orbit taking 1 earth year, (31,557,600s),

So, that means the earth is traveling 360/31557600 degrees per second or...1.1408x10-5 degrees per second.

so if you able to be at the center of the system (impossible but let's say you were) it takes about 8 mintues to travel from the sun to the earth. That means

Now, if you were leaving earth at 00:00:00 on day 100, to find your intercept course for earth, you need the distance to earth (149,597,870 km)
(60*60*24*100+60*8)*1.1408x10-5 (angle to where it is right now, plus the angle it will be at when you have traveled that distance.

This means your course is light speed for 8 minutes at heading 98.5706 degrees mark 0 (where mark is -90 to +90 degrees off the ecliptic.

Obviously, if you are traveling faster or slower than light speed, the numbers will be different.

If you don't account for your travel time, you will be off by a significant amount. Since earth travels at 30km a second (again, approx), if you don't take into account your 8 minute travel time, you will arrive at a distance of 14,400 KM away from your intended destination. While this is not bad for a planet the size of earth...if your speed was 1/3 the speed of light, that would put you 43,200 km away from earth..If your target was a space station instead of a planet, that would be a huge difference.
All very true in the real universe which is why calculations from 1 point to another are calculated prior to any flight. in the sc universe we cant really travel in a straight line from one point to another which i believe was done on purpose to prevent the need to do these calculations. you are right about creating x,y,z coordinates of different objects around a primary zero but i think we should consider each planet as that zero and all objects around it.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
This touches a point I've been wondering about for awhile, what rotates around a star? Does everything in the system move, including the wormhole/jump points? Are the asteroid belts rotating? Will the rotation be at a set speed or will all the bodies move at different speed? It makes my head spin to try to imagine how you could end up with two planets within 3 minutes of QT at one point and 20 minutes away 6 weeks later. If the jump points don't also rotate, wow, better have maps that are constantly updating.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
Since earth travels at 30km a second (again, approx)
That's exactly my point ... 30km a second implicitly assumes that you take middle of the star with the name Sol as your 0 .. because taking hypothetical middle of milky way as your 0 would give you speed of Earth of ~ 200-260 km/s, but for sure not 30 ... and if you take the middle of the universe .. things would be ever scarier ... hence I come back to my point - due to the absence of physical possibility to travel between stars - for each "star system" coordinate we'd use center of mass of the stars as 0 ... and for each "planetary system" - center of masses of planet . And yes - traveling from point a to point b has to take into account moving of the objects ( my assumption is when you see those points in your cockpit they are already adjusted for the expected travel time.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
This touches a point I've been wondering about for awhile, what rotates around a star? Does everything in the system move, including the wormhole/jump points? Are the asteroid belts rotating? Will the rotation be at a set speed or will all the bodies move at different speed? It makes my head spin to try to imagine how you could end up with two planets within 3 minutes of QT at one point and 20 minutes away 6 weeks later. If the jump points don't also rotate, wow, better have maps that are constantly updating.
everything moves in every solar system according to the rotational gravitational pull of each gravitational body the more depending on weights and pulls of the objects the greater the rotation. hense the slingshot effect using the sun and moons rotations can increase your speed for less fuel consumption. most likely i dont think cig is going to put things like this or account for this in game most people would never use or care about it as they will just use qf to get from point to point. to many variables with no real effect.(unless you ran out of fuel better sling yourself in the right direction to get to a service station.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Oh, and for those that think 14,000 km is not that far away (and it really isn't when put on the planetary scale as geostationary orbit for Earth is 35,800 km above sea level and the diameter of Earth is 12,750 km)...let me put it to you this way.

In SC, most ships max out somewhere south of 800 m/s with maybe a few that get faster and most going slower, but let's use that.

Assuming that once you are in the local area of a planet, your speed will be judged relative to that planet. So a speed of 0 means you are not moving with respect to the planet.

14,400 km=14,000,000 m

the time needed to travel is 14,000,000 m/800 (m/s) = 17,500 s = 291.66667 minutes = 4.861 hours = 4 hours, 51 minutes, 40 seconds. Almost 5 hours of travel in normal space, in a faster than average ship.

Ultimately, though, no matter how good we are, no matter how much data we crunch, unless we have the exact numbers, laws, and constants that govern those laws in the SC universe as well as all the exceptions for the rules, we just won't be able to track things out of game. Not the with precision needed.

I am hoping that what will happen is that once you get to a certain area, all things remain in a constant location within that area. Then it's just a matter of marking waypoints down on an excel sheet and can put them into some sort of waypoint system in SC.

That way you can do something like this on the forums or in chat.

Hey all, found this really neat most intact Javelin/Pegasus/Idris/etc. It's by Daymar (Stanton/Crusader/Daymar) at 73,382x74,234x1,203,981

That way we can put into our nav system Stanton/Crusader/Daymar and /waypoint 73,382x74,234x1,203,981 and we will be able to quantum there almost directly (within 10 km or so) provided we have the fuel for it.

Guys, being ambushed by 3 buckys and a Caterpilar...I need help at /mylocation Then this would give their location and if a combat response team is available, they can jump to your spot using the imformation provided by the /mylocation command.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Just saw something on spectrum and it seems it may have an impact on what this was trying to accomplish.

Here is the thread https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/we-need-more-hud-feedback-and-numbers-in-general

From Grafton
True, but if you can't input it into your ship or if doing so manually doesn't open up the content for you, as CIG have indicated will be the case, then it does no good to have the numbers. You can fly there all day, but until you receive the data through legitimate, in-game transmission, you can't play with it. Granted, someone can verbally pass you the coordinates and then transmit them in-game once you're in the general vicinity to save a little bit of time, but that still prevents people from publishing the location of content off-line and having people fly directly to it; they'd at least have to do the scanning work themselves once they've flown to the location to find what's supposed to be there (and it might be gone by then).

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch
Forgot your password?