Jan 30 - I have an interesting update on the Crytek vs CIG lawsuit

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
And please!!! A TL;DR. I asked one on discord but still... is this good or bad :confused:
My overall take: this is a win for CIG, not as much as they wanted, but it definitely limits what Crytek can say in court and the damages they can seek:

1) The court agreed with CIG about the use of the term "exclusive" --> it doesn't mean what Crytek said in their complaint, rather, it just meant that CIG could use it if they wanted to, not that they were obligated

2) The court said that Crytek could *not* seek punitive damages. This severely limits the amount of money that Crytek can get for damages.

What the court did was basically say, Crytek is wasting the court's time with these issues, these questions have been resolved before (by either law or precedent) so don't waste our time (or a jury's time) trying making these arguments.

So, the other elements of the case can go forward. This doesn't mean that the other elements have any merit, it only means that the judge thinks there is enough of a question to have a jury listen to arguments and decide.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
My overall take: this is a win for CIG, not as much as they wanted, but it definitely limits what Crytek can say in court and the damages they can seek:

1) The court agreed with CIG about the use of the term "exclusive" --> it doesn't mean what Crytek said in their complaint, rather, it just meant that CIG could use it if they wanted to, not that they were obligated

2) The court said that Crytek could *not* seek punitive damages. This severely limits the amount of money that Crytek can get for damages.

What the court did was basically say, Crytek is wasting the court's time with these issues, these questions have been resolved before (by either law or precedent) so don't waste our time (or a jury's time) trying making these arguments.

So, the other elements of the case can go forward. This doesn't mean that the other elements have any merit, it only means that the judge thinks there is enough of a question to have a jury listen to arguments and decide.
That souds positive, thanks a lot for rhe TL;DR :thumbsup:

Forgot your password?