Joystick and View Modes / Gimbal vs. Fixed Guns

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
No one is using a gaming controller? Seems to me this adds enough buttons that you can fly the gimbal, and IIUC, is what USAF uses for their drones. Can't be all bad. If you put strafe up, down, left and right on the four buttons under your index fingers, left stick to fly and right stick to shoot, should be fine. Press left thumb stick for gun one, right for gun two. Has no one done this?
That is a good thought. I have a Steam controller in the closet gathering dust, so I think I may try to make a mapping for it. It even has all sorts of Shift-functions too, so I could really get crazy with it. (I'm talkin Emote wheel)

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
I think if I were using a controller I would want VoiceAttack to go along with it. Otherwise you'd be using the keyboard as well anyways (I assume).
That is a good thought. I have a Steam controller in the closet gathering dust, so I think I may try to make a mapping for it. It even has all sorts of Shift-functions too, so I could really get crazy with it. (I'm talkin Emote wheel)
I've got no experience with that steam controller but it has long interested me. How do you fancy it?

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
No one is using a gaming controller? Seems to me this adds enough buttons that you can fly the gimbal, and IIUC, is what USAF uses for their drones. Can't be all bad. If you put strafe up, down, left and right on the four buttons under your index fingers, left stick to fly and right stick to shoot, should be fine. Press left thumb stick for gun one, right for gun two. Has no one done this?
ONLY COMMIES USE GAME CONTROLLERS!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I've got no experience with that steam controller but it has long interested me. How do you fancy it?
Well I really don't play many games where I find a controller more comfortable than a keyboard, so my use/experience is limited. I bought it, however, for use with Witcher 3 and I REALLY think the customization on it is super cool. It has two grip buttons underneath that I use as SHIFT commands, so I can customize a shit-ton of macros and whatnot. If you have the time to dick around with that (or download a mapping from the community) then youll probably like it. Main thing i wish it had was a right stick, but oh well.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have actually. I really enjoyed how smooth it made flight. Very easy, very fluid. I found combat a bit challenging though, as I didn't feel I could keep up to mouse/keyboard users at all. Those pips we're almost impossible to line up. Now with adjustments to the gaming system, it may be different. I'd recommend trying it, as its basically a dual stick setup, without the twist.
So you use strafe instead of throttle up or down? That makes more sense than what I was thinking.
This is only usable for maneuvering. Otherwise you must twist the stick all the time to go forward, not very comfortable.
Yeah, I basically use the forward/backward strafe for maneuvering. I max throttle when I fly, then strafe around my targets/opponents etc. Or match speed. I still haven't figured out what I like best. I may try a forward/backward on the up/down, but I really like my up/down/left/right strafing, and I find that having them all on the same controller (up/down/left/right axis) gives me the most control.

@marcsand2 probably has pro-tips though. The man is a certified combat genius. :wink:

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Gaming controllers are fine for flying around but I found them unusable in combat because the analogue sticks arent precise enough. I only used the regular xbox 360 controller I had lying around so your mileage may.

I also fly dual sticks but have roll bound to left stick twist.I only want x and y axis on right stick for better precision.
Now I kinda have to since right stick doest have a twist anymore :smile:

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I also fly dual sticks but have roll bound to left stick twist.I only want x and y axis on right stick for better precision.
Now I kinda have to since right stick doest have a twist anymore :smile:
Almost the same here, right stick is the flight stick, left stick is the strafe stick. Since both don't have any twist, I use the rudder pedals as roll and the rudder brakes as strafe forward and back. Throttle for throttle, although I also bound the throttle up and down to a thumb switch on my flight stick. I found it a shame to use the throttle as paperweight, so I searched and found nice spot for it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Almost the same here, right stick is the flight stick, left stick is the strafe stick. Since both don't have any twist, I use the rudder pedals as roll and the rudder brakes as strafe forward and back. Throttle for throttle, although I also bound the throttle up and down to a thumb switch on my flight stick. I found it a shame to use the throttle as paperweight, so I searched and found nice spot for it.
Marc, how do you get SC to recognize all three controllers? When I go to bind them in advanced, I seem to only get Joystick and joystick (1). There's no joystick (2) for the throttle.
Is there a special step I may be missing?
So who is flying a fighter with main weapons on gimbal and how are they doing it?
Keyboard and mouse I assume. Or left stick and mouse aim.
Otherwise, with joystick, I never use gimbals.

Reactions: StdDev

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Marc, how do you get SC to recognize all three controllers? When I go to bind them in advanced, I seem to only get Joystick and joystick (1). There's no joystick (2) for the throttle.
Is there a special step I may be missing?
Do you use target software?

If windows recognizes your sticks, then they will be usable under SC, but....
upload_2017-7-20_17-18-12.png

(type Windows -> joy.cpl to get this)

Every Game Controller gets a Windows Controller ID. SC uses this ID as joystick number. I tried to manipulate this Windows ID, but bad luck
1st Warthog strafe stick
2nd Warthog flight stick
3rd Crosswind rudder pedals
4th MFD right
5th Warthog Throttle
6th MFD left

upload_2017-7-20_17-28-25.png

upload_2017-7-20_17-30-15.png

upload_2017-7-20_17-32-12.png

In SC the controllers are identified as:
1st Warthog strafe stick
2nd Warthog Throttle
3rd Warthog flight stick
4th Crosswind rudder pedals
5th MFD right
6th MFD left

The problem is that if you want to modify inversion, sensitive curves, deadzone or saturation (whatever that is), SC only supports 4 joysticks, it can recognize and bind for me up to 7, but only the first 4 can be modified.
Another problem that occurred was that I have throttle on my Warthog Throttle and strafe forward / back on my rudder pedals. After building my simpit, the rudder pedal moved from 4th controller to 5th controller. Not a big issue, but whenever I used strafe forward, backward or roll, my 0 speed always was -30, my max speed also 180-30. The only way to resolve this problem was to disable the G13 thumbstick so the rudder pedals moved up as 4th controller

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So who is flying a fighter with main weapons on gimbal and how are they doing it?
Well, I tried to control the gimballed Revenant with TrackIR, but the Revenants gunfire flashes blinded me so I couldn't see my crosshair.

upload_2017-7-20_18-23-48.png

Correct that. when trying to make the screenshot, I found my crosshair and noticed the difference in Look Ahead

upload_2017-7-20_18-26-1.png

When I go in a full side turn to the left, the crosshair goes to to my left screen. No good for gimball fire there. Maybe the TrackIR is a good option for gimball controls. I definitely must adjust the motion curves to get better responses.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Do you use target software?

If windows recognizes your sticks, then they will be usable under SC, but....
View attachment 7020
(type Windows -> joy.cpl to get this)

Every Game Controller gets a Windows Controller ID. SC uses this ID as joystick number. I tried to manipulate this Windows ID, but bad luck
1st Warthog strafe stick
2nd Warthog flight stick
3rd Crosswind rudder pedals
4th MFD right
5th Warthog Throttle
6th MFD left

View attachment 7021

View attachment 7022

View attachment 7023

In SC the controllers are identified as:
1st Warthog strafe stick
2nd Warthog Throttle
3rd Warthog flight stick
4th Crosswind rudder pedals
5th MFD right
6th MFD left

The problem is that if you want to modify inversion, sensitive curves, deadzone or saturation (whatever that is), SC only supports 4 joysticks, it can recognize and bind for me up to 7, but only the first 4 can be modified.
Another problem that occurred was that I have throttle on my Warthog Throttle and strafe forward / back on my rudder pedals. After building my simpit, the rudder pedal moved from 4th controller to 5th controller. Not a big issue, but whenever I used strafe forward, backward or roll, my 0 speed always was -30, my max speed also 180-30. The only way to resolve this problem was to disable the G13 thumbstick so the rudder pedals moved up as 4th controller
Alright. I have windows detecting all. Now to see if SC is as well. Thanks Marc.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Alright. I have windows detecting all. Now to see if SC is as well. Thanks Marc.
not all bindings accept axis or buttons. To go safe, choose a button-binding like: "Keybindings -> Joystick / HOTAS -> Flight - Movement -> Swap Yaw / Roll (Toggle)" and hit a button on your controller. If it binds your controller button, you can check which input# your controller has.

Forgot your password?