Kotaku complains about lack of hate from Star Citizen

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Honestly ...

The fanboying can be just as bad as the derpy haters.

Thing is, gamers game. You can't lie or oversell to them. So call a spade a spade. Otherwise, yeah ... It feels culty. And ultimately adds to the negativity surrounding the project.

I literally responded to an Astropub tweet about this sorta thing, as he was attacking people who criticize length of development.

Reality is, that is and always WILL be a valid criticism of the project.

There isn't a SINGLE original backer who thought we'd be at the end of 2021, and only have 3 basic gameplay loops. Not one.

Valid criticisms are valid. Blind hate or whining is something different entirely.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
There isn't a SINGLE original backer who thought we'd be at the end of 2021, and only have 3 basic gameplay loops. Not one.

Valid criticisms are valid. Blind hate or whining is something different entirely.
I agree, but I also never thought the game would expand in scope to the massive beast it has become. I am still concerned that it's attempting to achieve too much but then @Montoya posts a video about how much new revenue they have taken in and I realize it's still being fed and they are still making large improvements to the game.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I agree, but I also never thought the game would expand in scope to the massive beast it has become. I am still concerned that it's attempting to achieve too much but then @Montoya posts a video about how much new revenue they have taken in and I realize it's still being fed and they are still making large improvements to the game.
Yeah. You have the recognize all of it. The good and the bad.

Also, people don't recognize all the backend work they have had to build. Outside of ... Ya know ... Actually building a gaming company that can support a game like this when it does launch.

It was always going to take alot of time and effort. It would have already been done otherwise.

SC is like anything else in life. It's not going to be perfect along the way. There are criticisms and compliments to be had.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Kotaku and Luke Dumblett doesn't give a toss as to whether he writes something worthwhile or not, or whether ppl like or hate SC. He just needs the clicks, thus the tweet. The only stable readership they have are the twitterites who go there to get the rundown of what fun and good thing they are supposed to be passionately hating on that day... PPL who are not worth listening to, under any circumstance, ever. And I bet even their numbers are dwindling.
Kotaku is dying, have been for a long time now. Frankly I don't even know how they are still around, weren't they bought out by some rich kid who swore to fire everyone and turn it around into something that actually makes money again?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Sooo @Montoya you predict the future title, you have gun that can bring back player from dead... when we'll be able to see you transmutating water into beer??

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Great video! Excellent point about that dude believing his ignorance is just as valuable, or more valuable than a knowledgable person's expertise about the game.

I wonder if he books flights and demands that the pilots know ZERO about flying? lol

In my opinion, calling that blogger "a journalist" is quite a stretch...and an insult to real journalists out there, who do ask tough questions! Maybe just calling him a "writer" or "video game reviewer" would be more on point? There is a trick we use to get people to think about root causes/getting to the bottom of things, it's called "asking 'why' five times." It's gotten a bit over-used by now, but the idea and the method is still powerful. I would suggest that dude ask why SC has raised $400 million while still in alpha, and then ask "why" four more times...but face it, he and the other "writers" are just feeding an algorithm and want to shove out as much crap as possible, as quickly as possible, so they can go wank or something.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Great video! Excellent point about that dude believing his ignorance is just as valuable, or more valuable than a knowledgable person's expertise about the game.

I wonder if he books flights and demands that the pilots know ZERO about flying? lol

In my opinion, calling that blogger "a journalist" is quite a stretch...and an insult to real journalists out there, who do ask tough questions! Maybe just calling him a "writer" or "video game reviewer" would be more on point? There is a trick we use to get people to think about root causes/getting to the bottom of things, it's called "asking 'why' five times." It's gotten a bit over-used by now, but the idea and the method is still powerful. I would suggest that dude ask why SC has raised $400 million while still in alpha, and then ask "why" four more times...but face it, he and the other "writers" are just feeding an algorithm and want to shove out as much crap as possible, as quickly as possible, so they can go wank or something.
"Why" not just call him a game critic, as that propaganda outlet mainly criticizes things that they are willfully ignorant of because those things don't abide by their chosen "narratives".

In this case, CIG defies their "narratives" by continuing to grow, develop the project further, achieve higher funding levels & gather more backers year after year despite their constant criticisms, but what drives them most against CIG is that CIG refuses to bend the knee to them financially for their "praise" like so many of the other AAA game developers.

When SQ42 officially launches & word of mouth between actual gamers trumps the criticisms of "media" outlets like kutaku, not to mention SC actually start advertising, there will be so much crow heading towards them that they will either have to swallow their pride & openly admit they have been wrong about CIG all this time or they will choke on their own crow by losing what few fools actually listen to their views. If they're not full blown pro SC by the time it's officially launched after SQ42 has been released, kutaku will get shut down by their overlord owners as they will have used up ever chance of being used as a tax sink.

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This calling for hate reaction is actually pretty dodgey isn't it?

Imagine if a newspaper printed a critical piece on a company that said nothing much then the next day did an editor's comment telling readers they were not angry enough about it, again without providing any more info on why they should be...

Last edited:
Forgot your password?