Learn Brevity

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
Asumng evry1 plys voip. Kybrd Brvty wrks K.
Internet spaceships is serious business everyone not on voip shall experience the wrath of god if not logged on for fleet command or end up as the first killed.

all joking aside in organised fleet activities not being on voip would be a pretty significant problem as the battlefield situation will change so rapidly typing will not be possible

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Okay I thought this post was a shitpost and responded in kind. In all actuality, we will never talk like that because you can never expect 14000 randoms on the internet to memorize and respond "professionally" to an FC. Listen to how drawn out and long winded that video is, it took two minutes to say "there's a bad guy, shoot him, okay I shot him". In SC, the main fleet commander will designate targets for the different subgroups under his command. The ships in those subgroups will either follow his orders directly, be relayed orders by their captain (in the case of multicrew ships), or tag along behind their squad leader.
Brevity is not a secret code. It's an agreed upon list of terms with exact meanings to shorten and clarify communications (for combat purposes). Without brevity, that video would've been much longer, there was significantly more information passed around than just "there's a bad guy, shoot him, okay I shot him".

Anyhow, I agree, we can't get 14000 people all learn the entirety of the original US brevity. I think we should use the US brevity as a base (as a good deal of people here already know it) but drop out terms that are not suited for our purposes to shorten the list, and add few terms that are lacking from the list to suit futuristic space battles. But when adding terms, it of course can't be done willy-nilly, we got to be smart about it.

For example,
"Rooster" would be a bad fit for "I'm about to lose my energy shields",
but "Shields 25" you can pretty much figure out even if you haven't memorized the list.

Reactions: Michael

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reactions: Marcel Busse

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
The "lingo" changes with every type of aircraft. As a maintainer and technician of the mighty P-3C Orion, our lingo for the plane is completely different for someone who works on/flies a jet plane.

Forgot your password?