cerated
Have to love some eve online nostalgia.

Reactions: Mich Angel and Ezz

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
we have already the whole brevity code rdy, well use a small part from it.
Do you have a document that has terms and definitions already? Are we using the NATO phonetic alphabet? Do I say, "Bingo Jameson, buster to bullseye 2-7-0 at 4-4 and hold at lima-quebec."?

Seriously, though- and maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere- how do we determine and then announce an intended or directed direction in space since I can't tell someone "heading 180" or "move south"?

Marcel Busse

Space Marshal
Sep 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Warhawk_29
Do you have a document that has terms and definitions already? Are we using the NATO phonetic alphabet? Do I say, "Bingo Jameson, buster to bullseye 2-7-0 at 4-4 and hold at lima-quebec."?

Seriously, though- and maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere- how do we determine and then announce an intended or directed direction in space since I can't tell someone "heading 180" or "move south"?
we use the original us brevity and there is a dicussion about what to include.

but seriosly there are so many codes we dont need all/cant use them in space/on planets without a propper hud.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
we use the original us brevity and there is a dicussion about what to include.

but seriosly there are so many codes we dont need all/cant use them in space/on planets without a propper hud.
I think we might need to also add few words more suitable for futuristic space fights, don't think the original US brevity covers those situations very well.

In any case, putting the brevity up on the page somewhere would most definitely help with those of us who haven't served in US military (in my service, our brevity only used NATO codes where it made sense.)

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
lots of this is applicable to shorten communication time over comms in SC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiservice_tactical_brevity_code#S
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_instruments

Ofc some of it may have to be adapted for space flight.

For example in space we don't have an established NWSE and horizon for creating 360x360 degree coordinates... or 3 oclock 9 oclock type communication. Everything is relative AFAIK in space. Until science proves otherwise. So... maybe depending on the system we're in... perhaps a visible planetary body or station could act as north for comms? @IcaroSP @marcsand2 but then the issue is horizon line. SC needs something for our ship huds to establish this per system. Wonder what the international space station uses if anything?

Also...
don't wear polarized sunglasses during flight

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
In space all targets luckily use IFF, so in case of offensive a target is easily named. When defensive NWSE or clock isn't very useful, because situation changes very fast and directional information is a very short time valid. It will be enough when you detect and inform a pilot of danger.
These directional information is useful when targets approach from a distance and not in radar range or unnoticed.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
In my mind I erm.. I try. Honestly guys I really do try.

What are we doing again?

Reactions: Mich Angel

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I really hope we can maintain a little more professionalism than that. So cringey.
:confounded:
there's plenty of professionalism until the FC in training starts welping a fleet where individual ships are worth 500 million ISK. What happened in that video was Shadoo, a famous and extremely competent FC, became so enraged by the new FC ordering an entire fleet to its death that he took over and began calling out the targets that were actual threats.

Last edited:

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Okay I thought this post was a shitpost and responded in kind. In all actuality, we will never talk like that because you can never expect 14000 randoms on the internet to memorize and respond "professionally" to an FC. Listen to how drawn out and long winded that video is, it took two minutes to say "there's a bad guy, shoot him, okay I shot him". In SC, the main fleet commander will designate targets for the different subgroups under his command. The ships in those subgroups will either follow his orders directly, be relayed orders by their captain (in the case of multicrew ships), or tag along behind their squad leader.

In short, lingo will develop as game mechanics become known. In the case of a large fleet engaging another large fleet I suspect it would go down something like this:

"caps and bombers focus down that (insert most valuable enemy capital ship), fighters screen your assigned units, Interdictors, tackle that (insert ship name)"- FC

"fly X way and shoot X guy, oh shit the enemy did something respond in X way"- captain of an individual capital ship

*shoots the bad guy* capital ship turret gunner.

There is no need for code words, the enemy will know all of them before we hit the field of battle. There is no need for callsigns, your name is irrelevant, what ship you're flying and its role is what matters. We will most likely call out enemy targets to be focused by their specific in game names so as to avoid confusion.

That said, all of this is speculation. There are several extremely important things to be hammered out before any serious "lingo" can develop. Number 1, the mechanics behind fleet combat. And number 2, the mechanics behind scanners and how they organize themselves when confronted with literally hundreds of enemy ships at a time in system. The main point I'm trying to make is that the real world military is a terrible example to follow. Their organizational system is littered with holdovers from centuries of social stratification, poorly defined ideology and logistical requirements that we will simply never have to deal with. Our battlefield communication will evolve naturally to be clean and efficient, but most importantly, it will evolve entirely to fit the rules star citizen sets out for us. That is what brings brevity: efficient, custom tailored design that is incredibly simple to understand.

Reactions: Marcel Busse

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Okay I thought this post was a shitpost and responded in kind. In all actuality, we will never talk like that because you can never expect 14000 randoms on the internet to memorize and respond "professionally" to an FC. Listen to how drawn out and long winded that video is, it took two minutes to say "there's a bad guy, shoot him, okay I shot him". In SC, the main fleet commander will designate targets for the different subgroups under his command. The ships in those subgroups will either follow his orders directly, be relayed orders by their captain (in the case of multicrew ships), or tag along behind their squad leader.

In short, lingo will develop as game mechanics become known. In the case of a large fleet engaging another large fleet I suspect it would go down something like this:

"caps and bombers focus down that (insert most valuable enemy capital ship), fighters screen your assigned units, Interdictors, tackle that (insert ship name)"- FC

"fly X way and shoot X guy, oh shit the enemy did something respond in X way"- captain of an individual capital ship

*shoots the bad guy* capital ship turret gunner.

There is no need for code words, the enemy will know all of them before we hit the field of battle. There is no need for callsigns, your name is irrelevant, what ship you're flying and its role is what matters. We will most likely call out enemy targets to be focused by their specific in game names so as to avoid confusion.

That said, all of this is speculation. There are several extremely important things to be hammered out before any serious "lingo" can develop. Number 1, the mechanics behind fleet combat. And number 2, the mechanics behind scanners and how they organize themselves when confronted with literally hundreds of enemy ships at a time in system. The main point I'm trying to make is that the real world military is a terrible example to follow. Their organizational system is littered with holdovers from centuries of social stratification, poorly defined ideology and logistical requirements that we will simply never have to deal with. Our battlefield communication will evolve naturally to be clean and efficient, but most importantly, it will evolve entirely to fit the rules star citizen sets out for us. That is what brings brevity: efficient, custom tailored design that is incredibly simple to understand.
Asumng evry1 plys voip. Kybrd Brvty wrks K.

Reactions: GrammarGestapo
Forgot your password?