Let's talk explorers...

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Guys note that the carracks radar is very specific and is not a command and control radar like on the hornet tracker or other larger military ships or the 890J. They made sure not to mention command and control as a feature on the carrack. Its radar is primarily exploration focused looking for anomalies and celestial bodies in deep space while cartography (mapping) is an added feature.
Yes but you are forgetting about modularity. Unless they intend to ONLY allow the one map table and sensor package on the carrack they will have more ship specific sensors available for it. And if (this is rumored to have been said somewhere but I never could find where) they intend to let the connie use the command and control table from the Idris but not let the Carrack use it when it has basically the exact same damn size table on it then I guess my plans to use it as a Command ship for fleets are kaput.

But even so I expect several different ships can be outfitted for a command role. Including the connie and Idris like they have said before. The hornet tracker is by design more of a small scale command and control ship. For smaller fleets of 1 man fighters.

Yes, but remember it has three modular bays that can enhance any of its other functions, so if what you want is to use it as a command station by enhancing active radar, or adding more sensitive and focused EM to search for life signs, the Carrack is the go-to. The only thing it is not good at is self defense. You want a fleet around it if possible.
Also remember almost everything should have options for what you want. Meaning not only the modular bay's but sensor packages, guns, engines, power plants, ect. So even tho its just the one variant it should be very flexible in the role it can play. Be in command and control in combat or exploration, solo exploration, pve, or even cargo carrying (god forbid there isn't anything better lol).

So you can make it more combat focused with better shields and guns set up for specific targets with sensors setup for finding ships instead of asteroids. Or make it fleet focused with better processors for the computer to number crunch data your other fleet members collect. I hope everything is as they intend and there are these and many other ways to set it up and it doesn't end up like in EVE online where there are many options yes... but only one real way to set up your ship to be competitive.

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
Sounds like fleet comp is gonna be half the battle when it comes to exploration - can't limit your fleet too badly, or you loose access to smaller jump points or sustainability, depending on which way you go - could be worth someone writing up a TESTie Exploration guide once we have more facts :P

For now, I'm all for saying my DUR is ready to venture forth, into the darkness where nobody's managed to get lost, drunk as shit, before.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Honestly, I can think of several ways to do it but it requires a large group and serious coordination. It would be the ultimate achievement for a Privateer group.
I'm in. Have I mentioned that I love your mind?
This is already a topic on another thread. You should take it there. The OP may have some useful advice. Hehe hehe. :D
That guy talks too much. ;)
It is amazing to me how effective good teams are in venues like this. People who dig the social interaction, and like to earn their reputation by being reliable, doing what they say and saying what they do, those kinds of people find huge rewards in environments like this. Teamwork gets it done.

The mere fact that piracy and privateering should be profitable, is going to require players cooperate with each other. They are going to need each other to hold onto their ships. I almost feel sorry for those "The Corporation" bastards, that their ships are going to go missing all the time.

Almost. . .
The corporations have insurance.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Honestly, my initial idea was to use a modded Cutlass Red. It already has a different sensor package on it. Also, the Cutlass is "supposed" to be one of the best ships for changing out equipment. But we don't know anything about how the sensors are going to work, or how the exploration mechanic is going to be implemented. But, seeing how they have handled it in lore so far might give us a clue.

As far as my ships, I might go back down from the Aquila to the Cutlass, cause I still love the Cutlass, and work on getting the Aquila in game. I should be able to pull out the Medi-Bays, and put in some living quarters and mapping equipment, and maybe a bar.... or is that part of the living quarters....
I'm leaning heavily towards this idea.

My questions, for you theorycrafters in the group are these:
Which cutlass would make the best explorer?
-The Black has the lower IR engines/signature, which would be good for staying hidden if you happen upon trouble.
-The Red has the upgraded sensor package, which could be hugely beneficial for exploration.
-The Blue has those upgraded engines and missiles, which would boost survivability.

Thoughts?

Peace88

Space Marshal
May 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zen_Jharis
-The Black has the lower IR engines/signature, which would be good for staying hidden if you happen upon trouble.
-The Red has the upgraded sensor package, which could be hugely beneficial for exploration.
-The Blue has those upgraded engines and missiles, which would boost survivability.
If you can put sensors on it i would use the Blue. best of both worlds.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973

Thoughts?
The Red, cause it has the cool "explorer" roll bars and spot lights. ;)

Jethaya

Captain
Dec 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Jethaya

Thoughts?
i would like a rainbow colored one it has the black's engines with the red's sensors and the blue's missiles (a litle chromed peices here and there would also be nice)

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The red has wrong sort of sensors but sure you can upgrade, since I no longer have a red though I will probably turn the blue (comes with game package so not melted!) that way by outfitting the turret as sensors (same as red). That is assuming I cannot use the reliant sen (Yeah I know it has a science computer analysis thingy but it does have upgraded sensors and what do they do (Have to upgrade an aurora to that!).

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The Red, cause it has the cool "explorer" roll bars and spot lights. ;)
Red + 1
i would like a rainbow colored one it has the black's engines with the red's sensors and the blue's missiles (a litle chromed peices here and there would be nice)
Frankencutty + 1
The red has wrong sort of sensors but sure you can upgrade, since I no longer have a red though I will probably turn the blue (comes with game package so not melted!) that way by outfitting the turret as sensors (same as red). That is assuming I cannot use the reliant sen (Yeah I know it has a science computer analysis thingy but it does have upgraded sensors and what do they do (Have to upgrade an aurora to that!).
Red + 2 (I think. I'm confused, therefore I'm TEST.)

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
OK, I was thinking.....

It won't matter what equipment the ship has stock, it's all going to be interchangeable. You will only have to worry about Item Port size and available power and cooling.

IT'S RED MAGE TIME!!!!

Let's start with a generic "SHIP" It has 2 crew and a cargo bay. And you are able to move around in the ship. (Disclaimer: NONE of these are actual figures from SC, I am pulling them out of thin air for demo purposes)

Power Plant = S3
Engines = 2x S2
MAV = 8x S1
Cooler = S3
Weapons = 4x S2
Avionics = S2
Sensor = S2
Life Support = S2

For example reasons, we will say the Power Plant generates 15k "power units" and 5k "heat units". the engines require 2500 power each, and put out the same in heat.
So here is where we stand: Power = 15000-5000(engines) = 10000 (left to run the rest of the ship)
Heat = (2500+2500)(engines)+5000(power plant) = 10000
Now let's throw in some other figures, Power will be (p) and heat will be (h) and we will put this as unit per second. We also know there will be other resources you will need to manage, like CPU power and such, but I have not seen any of those figures in the game so far. I have seen the Heat and power figures used (2.3ish, when the holo table worked).

MAVs = 250p : 250h (I am lumping all of the MAVs into one figure as they don't run all the time)
Cooler = 5000p : 20000h
weapons = (idle)100p : 100h :: (firing)1000p : 1000h (x4)
(weapons are tricky, as they are not firing all the time, and while they are idle, they use a fraction of the resources as they do when they are firing)
Sensors = 500p : 150h
Life Support = 200p : 100h
Avionics = 100p : 100h

Now, that leaves about 3500p when the ship is idle, but in the hole if we have all guns blazing....and NO SHIELDS!!!!!

Crap, I forgot the shields

So, let's put some S2s on at 500p : 500h, that jumps up to 1k each while charging. Which would put us in the hole a lot with everything going at once.

It boils down to available power and cooling and CPU and Item Port size. And out of those, the only one the system won't let you fudge is the port size. If you overdraw the system, it's your own fault. Take the Strife Mass Drivers, and load up 6 of them on a Super Hornet. 1 Alpha Strike and the ship shuts down(well it used to, I haven't had a chance to try it out lately, plus it did it to the Cutlass as well)

Now I am sure I missed a few things, and again, these are numbers I made up on the fly. The point is, those numbers will change based on the component, and what it can do. The stock parts will almost always be worse than the stuff we will find in the aftermarket shops in game, and what we can make ourselves. Or Overclock, as the case may be. And there will be other stats that need to be looked at as well, HPs, Sig, and such. But all the equipment will be interchangeable, with-in reason.

I really need to stop thinking........

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
OK, I was thinking.....

It won't matter what equipment the ship has stock, it's all going to be interchangeable. You will only have to worry about Item Port size and available power and cooling.

IT'S RED MAGE TIME!!!!

Let's start with a generic "SHIP" It has 2 crew and a cargo bay. And you are able to move around in the ship. (Disclaimer: NONE of these are actual figures from SC, I am pulling them out of thin air for demo purposes)

Power Plant = S3
Engines = 2x S2
MAV = 8x S1
Cooler = S3
Weapons = 4x S2
Avionics = S2
Sensor = S2
Life Support = S2

For example reasons, we will say the Power Plant generates 15k "power units" and 5k "heat units". the engines require 2500 power each, and put out the same in heat.
So here is where we stand: Power = 15000-5000(engines) = 10000 (left to run the rest of the ship)
Heat = (2500+2500)(engines)+5000(power plant) = 10000
Now let's throw in some other figures, Power will be (p) and heat will be (h) and we will put this as unit per second. We also know there will be other resources you will need to manage, like CPU power and such, but I have not seen any of those figures in the game so far. I have seen the Heat and power figures used (2.3ish, when the holo table worked).

MAVs = 250p : 250h (I am lumping all of the MAVs into one figure as they don't run all the time)
Cooler = 5000p : 20000h
weapons = (idle)100p : 100h :: (firing)1000p : 1000h (x4)
(weapons are tricky, as they are not firing all the time, and while they are idle, they use a fraction of the resources as they do when they are firing)
Sensors = 500p : 150h
Life Support = 200p : 100h
Avionics = 100p : 100h

Now, that leaves about 3500p when the ship is idle, but in the hole if we have all guns blazing....and NO SHIELDS!!!!!

Crap, I forgot the shields

So, let's put some S2s on at 500p : 500h, that jumps up to 1k each while charging. Which would put us in the hole a lot with everything going at once.

It boils down to available power and cooling and CPU and Item Port size. And out of those, the only one the system won't let you fudge is the port size. If you overdraw the system, it's your own fault. Take the Strife Mass Drivers, and load up 6 of them on a Super Hornet. 1 Alpha Strike and the ship shuts down(well it used to, I haven't had a chance to try it out lately, plus it did it to the Cutlass as well)

Now I am sure I missed a few things, and again, these are numbers I made up on the fly. The point is, those numbers will change based on the component, and what it can do. The stock parts will almost always be worse than the stuff we will find in the aftermarket shops in game, and what we can make ourselves. Or Overclock, as the case may be. And there will be other stats that need to be looked at as well, HPs, Sig, and such. But all the equipment will be interchangeable, with-in reason.

I really need to stop thinking........

This is me when someone tosses out numbers like this........
funny-math-problems-meme.jpg

Forgot your password?