Let's talk explorers...

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I am guessing the standard explorer progression in size and capability is going to be 3I5P, Sentinel, Dur, Aquila, Carrack.
That Sentinel is spendy though I don't see to many dropping that much coin on a borderline exploration ship when they can spend half on a DUR a dedicated explorer or about the same coin on a Aquila another dedicated explorer.

No one has talked about using a Retaliator as an explorer.
Again not a dedicated explorer and not cheap either, plus for me the only armament is manned turrets so finding people to sit in turrets while I explore may be difficult lol.

Not that other ships can't explore I just think there are two types of explorers, the dedicated kind and the secondary kind, I would purchase a Sent or a Ret for combat use first and exploration as secondary or even a distant third when it comes to priorities. What about the Herald or the Reliant those could easily be converted just range might be an issue.

As for the Cutlass, I say go red, sensors are nice plus would not hurt to have S&R vehicle as well. Not sure what other vehicles you have but the red was my first purchase although since then I have melted it numerous times but I always end up picking it up again, just something about S&R that appeals to me. :P

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The specific issue with adapting ships and for example the sen is specifically range. For me the sen passes the smell test on looks whereas the DUR or van as I like to call it does not! So for an in system explorer I suspect you can make do with a tweaked ship or modifications. For longer range explorers they need the extended fuel tanks fuel efficient engines and whatever other junk is needed (and obviously the biggies carry transport).

This sits fine with me, I can start with a sen or modifiy a cutlass but if I like exploring and want to explore further then I need to head for a dedicated explorer (which wont be a VAN!!!!). The carrack has that armoured hood (foreskin) as well so it has its very own gimmick to protect the sensitive bits!

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
The specific issue with adapting ships and for example the sen is specifically range. For me the sen passes the smell test on looks whereas the DUR or van as I like to call it does not!
How dare you insult the firefly class (Serenity anyone?) looking (from the side) DURp!!! she is a beautiful ship!!! I Spit in your beer for that insult!

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
i wonder what is worse killing a man's dog , stealing his horse or spitting in his beer? maybe i like beer to much :)
well to me this question is easy. killing his dog is the worst. you can get a new beer, and you won't be able to call the difference, you can get the stolen horse back. But there is no way, you can replace the dog.

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
Figuring that the DUR would make a good medium range salvage/exploration boat, since it's got those nice sensor pods in the chin, and the turret on the back that could quite happily be replaced with a tractor beam (As on one of the Cutlass) - Plus i'd be surprised if there wasn't room in the back for a dragonfly & some cargo. Very much anticipating the release of more info on this side of things :D

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Figuring that the DUR would make a good medium range salvage/exploration boat, since it's got those nice sensor pods in the chin, and the turret on the back that could quite happily be replaced with a tractor beam (As on one of the Cutlass) - Plus i'd be surprised if there wasn't room in the back for a dragonfly & some cargo. Very much anticipating the release of more info on this side of things :D
My love of the DURp is battling with my love of the Cutty. Right now the Cutty is winning out as she has a much better view. I don't appreciate the restricted view from the cockpit of the DURp. I pray to god they fix it.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I've never had an interest in the Tali. This could be an interesting theory though. Keep me posted if you intend to persue this thought through.
I love the look of the Tally but I have always hated that it has so much useless space for ship its size. Dedicated hallways running the length of the ship that allow quick movement inside but totally ruin the volumetric function fraction. Way too much empty space. However, in general it appears the Aegis ships err on the side of good armor, which means you can at times run with shields down. If shields alert EM sensors the way they ought, running sans shields can be extremely effective and moreso if you have good armor. So I would look at the Tally if it can be equipped for exploration anything close to the Aquila. Just note it is very heavy, and will be slow compared to the Connies.

For me it doesn't matter as I am sold on the Carrack. If I'm going to own one ship that gets every trick, it's the Carrack. I have plans for those modular bays.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
My love of the DURp is battling with my love of the Cutty. Right now the Cutty is winning out as she has a much better view. I don't appreciate the restricted view from the cockpit of the DURp. I pray to god they fix it.
Take both!!! ;)

well you can always get one of each :)
Somebody was faster :(

Reactions: Peace88

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
to be honest all those ship discution are starting to make my litle Aurora LN feel inadequate i guess there is a lot of comunication array repairs in my futur ill have to drink less beer and save up on uec
You don't need to pay for more than an Aurora. Save your money in game to pay for NPC's and steal ships from our enemies. The Vanduul are hastily building us huge fleets of ships. There's no need to buy them.

You can join us in the Privateering thread.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I don't know if they are going to change it, I think they kind of said that the function of the ship is not combat its more of a cargo vessel. I think if the view from the cockpit is that important for you than I would definitely lean towards the Cutlass.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
As far as anyone (including CIG) knows the Freelancer will not change (much). Nor will any other "Finished" ship they have made. Unless the want to redesign the ship 2 weeks before launch they have entirely to many ships to still make before the launch of the game. So if a finished ship like the Freelancer doesn't appeal to you then perhaps you should go with a different ship. However like i stated before, any ship can be modified to perform a task to a certain extent however remember there will be certain ships you must use whether you like it or not to do a task efficiently. So in the end you may be stuck using a ship that you don't like in order to do a job you want to do.

Maybe this is the min-maxer in me but just because you can modify a pirate/cargo ship to explore does not mean you should. Especially when a different ship comes stock more capable than you could possibly make the other ship without any upgrades.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
As far as anyone (including CIG) knows the Freelancer will not change (much). Nor will any other "Finished" ship they have made.
The cabin in the Lancer has a restricted view by design. No one does stuff like that by mistake. Personally I think it gives the ships an authentic feel, rather than giving every ship a combat canopy. The open cockpit/bridge in the Reliant is as stunning as it is especially because it is rare.

When they tweaked the bridge on the Connies it didn't make a functional difference, so they can accommodate style, but opening the view on the Lancer would make it more a combat ship. If you want a combat oriented hauler get a Cat and put 8 gimbaled Omni IX's on the nose. That will ruin anyone's day. Just don't expect to see what you're doing. It's a hauler.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The cabin in the Lancer has a restricted view by design
It is made to train you using radar to get a better situation awareness. Unfortunately asteroids aren't shown on radar..... or its just made especially for my displays :eek:
fits perfectly :D, even radar is in display while fully zoomed in :p

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
to be honest all those ship discution are starting to make my litle Aurora LN feel inadequate i guess there is a lot of comunication array repairs in my futur ill have to drink less beer and save up on uec
At least you will have something to look forward to and a goal to work for. The ones that already bought everything wil just be bored and get lazy ;)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It is made to train you using radar to get a better situation awareness. Unfortunately asteroids aren't shown on radar..... or its just made especially for my displays :eek:
fits perfectly :D, even radar is in display while fully zoomed in :p
My partner IRL is a recently retired Brigadier General from USAF, and an extremely accomplished test pilot, and builder of test pilot programs. He was just noting to me the other day that the new F-35 helmet (which I think costs more than a million dollars) actually displays targets into the HMD that make them appear as if you are seeing through the floor and walls of the cockpit. You can for example see targets and objects of interest beneath you simply by looking down.

Forgot your password?