marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
My partner IRL is a recently retired Brigadier General from USAF, and an extremely accomplished test pilot, and builder of test pilot programs. He was just noting to me the other day that the new F-35 helmet (which I think costs more than a million dollars) actually displays targets into the HMD that make them appear as if you are seeing through the floor and walls of the cockpit. You can for example see targets and objects of interest beneath you simply by looking down.
Whaaat!!!, the new F-35 helmet can look through wall (also clothes????) and in 2945 we still have to stare at walls in Star Citizen, something went badly wrong with the F-35 helmet!!!!! (maybe too much looking through clothes :oops:)

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I have been doing a lot of reading on this post. and from what I am seeing is its pretty much roles. We can modify ships to do a bit of everything but it seems to me that nothing is going to do the job quite as well as a ship built specifically for that role. In my situation I am specked for exploration and hauling. so its not an issue for me. I think I will stick with my beta, Dur, and carrack for the exploration. hmm, I wonder if 2 can crew a beta? tight space but it has the best as far as housing goes.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
to be honest all those ship discussion are starting to make my little Aurora LN feel inadequate i guess there is a lot of communication array repairs in my future ill have to drink less beer and save up on uec
Jethaya,

You don't need more than the Aurora. Lots of people have room on their ship and in an Org this big, you should be able to find someone that needs a crew.

From 2 person ships like the vanguard and freelancer (which might benefit from a 3rd crew person to run the turret or engineering station), to huge ships like the Carrack, 890, Idris, and Javelin, there will probably be more of a need for talented crew members than for more multi-crew ships. One ship that you can run around in (oh, make sure to fit your Aurora with a jump engine if it didn't come standard) and use to get out to the big ships if they are already left is all you really need.

I was playing with Test a few days ago and we got together a squadron of people to go take care of some griefers. We had a few Auroras and they did extremely well.

Personally, I would rather have good people beside me in a "starter" ship rather than bad players beside me in expensive ships. Good people will make up for any shortcomings their ships might have, or will at least be able to laugh with you when everyone dies. Good ships can't make up for the lack of skill in bad players, or make you feel good when you win and all you hear is complaining, whining, or bragging from people who did nothing to contribute to the victory.

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Also, again, to the Freelancer Dur window change, the devs keep repeating, that nothing, absolutly nothing is this game is finished jet, and everything can change. The Freelancer Dur will recive an overhaul like the default version, and it is possible, that the windshield change in the process, but right now, they won't/can't deny or confirm, that the pilot view will get improved.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Personally, I would rather have good people beside me in a "starter" ship rather than bad players beside me in expensive ships. Good people will make up for any shortcomings their ships might have, or will at least be able to laugh with you when everyone dies. Good ships can't make up for the lack of skill in bad players, or make you feel good when you win and all you hear is complaining, whining, or bragging from people who did nothing to contribute to the victory.
It's even better to fly in a starter ship with shortcomings then take it the easy way and buy a fancy good ship to start with. People improve their skills when flying a starter ship. When they earned a better ship the hard way, the shortcomings of the ship are gone but the pilot skills have become better, while the pilots in their good ship still have their bad skills. Guess who is the better pilot/ship combination?

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
It's even better to fly in a starter ship with shortcomings then take it the easy way and buy a fancy good ship to start with. People improve their skills when flying a starter ship. When they earned a better ship the hard way, the shortcomings of the ship are gone but the pilot skills have become better, while the pilots in their good ship still have their bad skills. Guess who is the better pilot/ship combination?
I like this, I can see our guild hitting aurora LX ships with one or 2 star farers for fueling. with the size of our potential fleet. We could rule unexplored space. EVIL GENIUS FOR THE WIN.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
well you can always get one of each :)
Shush you! You're like that little devil sitting on my shoulder. Haha :P
Take both!!! ;)
What did I just say! Haha.
Somebody was faster :(
God, now I have a little devil on each shoulder. How do I win? ;)
For me it doesn't matter as I am sold on the Carrack. If I'm going to own one ship that gets every trick, it's the Carrack. I have plans for those modular bays.
I'm set on the Carrack for my large explorer. Totally set. As soon as she goes on sale again, I'll grab one.
My consternation comes with trying to decide on a smaller/smallish explorer. Haha. Ships are hard.
You don't need to pay for more than an Aurora. Save your money in game to pay for NPC's and steal ships from our enemies. The Vanduul are hastily building us huge fleets of ships. There's no need to buy them.

You can join us in the Privateering thread.
Just so. There's always room to crew on someone's ship. Always
And joining us in the Privateering thread/unofficial division, you can be guaranteed to be swimming in ships in a short amount of time. We shall sucker punch and EMP all the ships into submission.

There's a huge appeal to starting from the ground and working your way up. If I hadn't already dropped so damn much into this game, I'd happily downgrade to one or two ships and earn everything else in game.
There is a certain satisfaction to be had for playing exactly the same game at a fraction of the cost, rock on your Aurora. Most folks would call that a bargain!
Exactly. @Grimbli and I have discussed this before. Selling off all but one or two, and buying UEC with the store credits. It's appealing, but scary too.
I don't know if they are going to change it, I think they kind of said that the function of the ship is not combat its more of a cargo vessel. I think if the view from the cockpit is that important for you than I would definitely lean towards the Cutlass.
Apparently there's been talk of changing it. I do love the DURp. Maybe I'll get a loaner for a bit and see if I can rekindle the magic.
So if a finished ship like the Freelancer doesn't appeal to you then perhaps you should go with a different ship.
It does appeal to me. A lot. It was one of the first ships I ever procured, and I'm not adverse to owning one whatsoever. I'm trying to keep my fleet smallish though, so having many, many ships doesn't appeal to me. I would love to have 4. It looks like I'll end up with 6 plus 2 dragonflies. That's acceptable I reckon.

Point being, I want a smaller explorer, but I want a fair amount a versatility and modularity with it. The Cutty may fit that bill. The DURp may fit it. I could have both, but it'd rather have only one.
Fuck, the sentinel could fit the bill as well.
Dammit.
If you want a combat oriented hauler get a Cat and put 8 gimbaled Omni IX's on the nose. That will ruin anyone's day.
Oooooo, I may just do that. I can see that turning someone's day real, real dark.
My partner IRL is a recently retired Brigadier General from USAF, and an extremely accomplished test pilot, and builder of test pilot programs. He was just noting to me the other day that the new F-35 helmet (which I think costs more than a million dollars) actually displays targets into the HMD that make them appear as if you are seeing through the floor and walls of the cockpit. You can for example see targets and objects of interest beneath you simply by looking down.
That's freaking awesome. I wonder how much of our HUDs will end up on the mobi-glass as opposed to the ship itself. Or is that a thing already? Someone who's a we bit more aware than I should drop a knowledge bomb on me. I apparently haven't spent enough time in game to distinguish yet (too busy shitposting on these forums I reckon).
Regardless, that could make the dynamic quite interestin: If your HUD stays with your head when you move your view around.
Personally, I would rather have good people beside me in a "starter" ship rather than bad players beside me in expensive ships. Good people will make up for any shortcomings their ships might have, or will at least be able to laugh with you when everyone dies. Good ships can't make up for the lack of skill in bad players, or make you feel good when you win and all you hear is complaining, whining, or bragging from people who
This is truth.
Also, again, to the Freelancer Dur window change, the devs keep repeating, that nothing, absolutly nothing is this game is finished jet, and everything can change. The Freelancer Dur will recive an overhaul like the default version, and it is possible, that the windshield change in the process, but right now, they won't/can't deny or confirm, that the pilot view will get improved.
This. I'd love to see this.
I like this, I can see our guild hitting aurora LX ships with one or 2 star farers for fueling. with the size of our potential fleet. We could rule unexplored space. EVIL GENIUS FOR THE WIN.
Dammit. Now I need to add the Aurora back to my fleet and practice flying. Haha.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I had the chance to...cough...borrow (and return) a freelancer yesterday. After driving it, I am not sold on getting one for my small explorer ship.

Yes, it's smaller than the Aquila and will fit though the smaller jump points, but it's just not that maneuverable. I am worried that a small wormhole will be very hard for a freelancer to map easily with the mini-game I saw. Also, the voice is...disturbing to my ears. Not nearly as pleasant as the Anvil or Aegis ships

That said...it's a got a decent amount of room for some cargo. You can - probably - (depending on width) carry a dragonfly in the cargo compartment, but it will take up a LOT of room. Figure half of the space? It's got room for 4, which is more than enough to crew it. I figure 3 people will fill out the roles comfortably, but 4 would be better (Pilot, shields/power, Turret, sensors) You might even be able to add one for repairs or move another role to repairs, such as sensors. It would depend on the mission. It can do explore, light hauling (but the Taurus/Andromeda would be better if you are looking for a tramp freighter/all rounder...or go for the hull series... The one thing it MIGHT do pretty good at is as an assault barge. No, it doesn't have a ton of turrets, but it's smallish, you CAN fit a lot of people in the back, and you have a turret to help cover their exit. There is also the benefit that you can't depress the turret a lot in the back, meaning fewer issues of friendly fire as they team exits. No it's not ideal, but it's something to think on.

I am thinking right now of retro-fitting my Phoenix as a smuggler/explorer ship for the Connie sized crews, getting a Carrack?!? maybe as my large/dedicated explore ship for when we want to do serious exploring, and MAYBE a 315 for individual exploring. Going to have to look some more.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I had the chance to...cough...borrow (and return) a freelancer yesterday. After driving it, I am not sold on getting one for my small explorer ship.

Yes, it's smaller than the Aquila and will fit though the smaller jump points, but it's just not that maneuverable. I am worried that a small wormhole will be very hard for a freelancer to map easily with the mini-game I saw. Also, the voice is...disturbing to my ears. Not nearly as pleasant as the Anvil or Aegis ships

That said...it's a got a decent amount of room for some cargo. You can - probably - (depending on width) carry a dragonfly in the cargo compartment, but it will take up a LOT of room. Figure half of the space? It's got room for 4, which is more than enough to crew it. I figure 3 people will fill out the roles comfortably, but 4 would be better (Pilot, shields/power, Turret, sensors) You might even be able to add one for repairs or move another role to repairs, such as sensors. It would depend on the mission. It can do explore, light hauling (but the Taurus/Andromeda would be better if you are looking for a tramp freighter/all rounder...or go for the hull series... The one thing it MIGHT do pretty good at is as an assault barge. No, it doesn't have a ton of turrets, but it's smallish, you CAN fit a lot of people in the back, and you have a turret to help cover their exit. There is also the benefit that you can't depress the turret a lot in the back, meaning fewer issues of friendly fire as they team exits. No it's not ideal, but it's something to think on.

I am thinking right now of retro-fitting my Phoenix as a smuggler/explorer ship for the Connie sized crews, getting a Carrack?!? maybe as my large/dedicated explore ship for when we want to do serious exploring, and MAYBE a 315 for individual exploring. Going to have to look some more.
Not maneuverable you say? I'll have to fly one again and see if I feel the same. It's been a while since I say in the cockpit of the 'Lancer.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
No, it doesn't have a ton of turrets, but it's smallish, you CAN fit a lot of people in the back, and you have a turret to help cover their exit. There is also the benefit that you can't depress the turret a lot in the back, meaning fewer issues of friendly fire as they team exits. No it's not ideal, but it's something to think on.
Another advantage is its missile load, the base model you can be equipped with 12 triple missile platforms. That is a total of 36 S2 missiles. The Andromeda has 4x6 S2 and 4x7 S1, a total of 24 S2 missiles and 28 S1 missiles, but it is a bigger target itself.
Which reminds me, which other ship has rocket pods? The Mustang Delta has 2 rocket pods, but unless all guns are down, I hardly use them. The rocket pods make the Delta an ideal short range ground support ship.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Not maneuverable you say? I'll have to fly one again and see if I feel the same. It's been a while since I say in the cockpit of the 'Lancer.
I have flown her yesterday. It lacks manoeuvrability, but because the restricted view, I like to zoom in. The full zoom and slower manoeuvrability make your aim more stable ;). The main punch of the Freelancer is not its guns but its missiles. The missiles compensate for the lack of manoeuvrability :)

Reactions: Peace88

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I actually don't use missiles that much. Too expensive to restock IMO and you only have so many, plus half of them just seem to wander away and not hit anything. I can think of other ways to throw away UEC. It's also why I prefer to use energy weapons over kinetic weapons. I would rather use repeaters and lasers over an auto cannon just because of the ammo issue.

Now, in Arena Commander, I use missiles a lot more, but I don't pay for them and they get restocked every third round...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have flown her yesterday. It lacks manoeuvrability, but because the restricted view, I like to zoom in. The full zoom and slower manoeuvrability make your aim more stable ;). The main punch of the Freelancer is not its guns but its missiles. The missiles compensate for the lack of manoeuvrability :)
I'll be testing the zoom factor myself as soon as I find the time to get flying.

Reactions: Peace88

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I actually don't use missiles that much.
Me neither, but you got to use the ships strong points, the Freelancer is not so good with dogfighting, but compensates with missiles. You will not always fly a fighter when encountering troubles.

plus half of them just seem to wander away and not hit anything. I can think of other ways to throw away UEC.
A missile isn't a fire and forget. You must use them wise, it has limited fuel, so don't shoot an engaging enemy, unless you are sure he can't evade it. If the missile misses, it must turn burning allot fuel. Better fire a missile when pursuing an enemy. Also a missile has a secondary task, when you fire it, your target will be busy evading it and less busy evading you, so fire the missile and stay engaging.

It's also why I prefer to use energy weapons over kinetic weapons. I would rather use repeaters and lasers over an auto cannon just because of the ammo issue.
Depends, with the Gladius and Titan I prefer the kinetics as secondary weapons. I use 2 Badgers to engage and when the target is cornered and turning, I will add the kinetics on close range to finish him off fast. The Kinetics have the big advantage that they don't need energy and your EM wont go up, good when ýou are evading missiles.

oh, and when I am exploring, I don't want to be fighting when I can avoid it.
You have a point there ;)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Oooooo, I may just do that. I can see that turning someone's day real, real dark.
The reason I suggest put 8 Omni IX's on the nose of the Cat is that they're the only S3's that are both fast to target and have good range. If you let something get within range of any hauler you will have trouble, but if you know you're going into combat situations, you can at least fend off attacks if you shoot early. A single Sabre with 8 Sledge II's would cut a Cat like that to shreds and never take a hit, but that is what happens to all haulers. They are big, slowly moving targets.

Forgot your password?