Lets talk Lumberyard > Cryengine?

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
StarEngine is a branch of 3.8, Lumberyard is a branch of 3.8.

Also Chris states this "Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete."

Also regarding qualification, I spent 4 years working as a physics programmer for CryEngine with Tencent.
Then I shall defer to your professional experience and consider myself 'REKT', as the kids say.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
But I like pies.

Can it be a Hot Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream on top? Please.
MMmmmmmm.... That sounds amazing.

Hot apple is heresy, man. Like pineapple on pizza, fruit has no business being warm.
You take that back right now!

Of course there's going to be a few people screaming about the whole Lumberyard thing, but they won't have any idea what they're talking about. This is a brilliant move because it frees up a lot of resources within CIG to do things that Amazon will do better. Specialization between vendors is key to pulling off a project of this size. Even NASA didn't get to the moon on their own. They contracted out to specialized service providers to figure out different solutions based on what they needed. Sure, NASA *could* have done everything in house with their engineers, but why would they spend the time and money when someone else could do the same thing faster and cheaper? It's the same thing with CIG and Amazon.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
MMmmmmmm.... That sounds amazing.

You take that back right now!

Of course there's going to be a few people screaming about the whole Lumberyard thing, but they won't have any idea what they're talking about. This is a brilliant move because it frees up a lot of resources within CIG to do things that Amazon will do better. Specialization between vendors is key to pulling off a project of this size. Even NASA didn't get to the moon on their own. They contracted out to specialized service providers to figure out different solutions based on what they needed. Sure, NASA *could* have done everything in house with their engineers, but why would they spend the time and money when someone else could do the same thing faster and cheaper? It's the same thing with CIG and Amazon.
couldnt agree more, its a great thing, my only issue was it happening now. Of course, Amazon only recently became an option I think and perhaps there was no viable option to do this sooner but it does smart having got years in and millions spent before getting this sorted. It was always going to be an issue and I dont k ow if they thought they could do it internally and failed or set to work without a clear solution in mind.. But Im glad its done now.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Switching engines takes a lot of time and effort. I honestly don't know how they're going to spin this because they brought so many people who are CryENGINE experts like Sean Tracy and pretty much the entire Foundry 42 team. This is huge news and should of had a ten for the chairman or something and not just thrown in on a 2.6 release email right before Christmas break. This gives the internet a ton of time to speculate and bring in the apocalypse which should of been held back imo until after they got back.

2016 went from the year of getting a SQ42 release date to a possible complete game engine change. Just speculation until we find out if a complete overhaul or merging both a possibility? Idk... Im drunk and now all I can remember is Duke Nukem forever changing engines.
lumberyard is cry just like star engine is, that and its all modular. It's almost all plug and play then make a few tweaks. That and its mostly the cloud/networking part of lumber they want and amazon wants all the special things GIG has added. This also means we are on amazon servers now too. None of this is a bad thing if anything it is all great things that will make the game grow faster.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I always though pies have meat in them... Beef and Onion, Steak and Ale, Chicken and Mushroom, that kind of thing.

I'm not qualified to talk about Game Engines, but if there is one thing I do know, its pies.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Then I shall defer to your professional experience and consider myself 'REKT', as the kids say.
Don't. I completely understand the initial scepticism as there are many people that just express their opinion as a fact. And stating my experience on the matter was not an attempt to show off, just telling you that I might know what I'm talking about.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Forgot your password?