Like it or not, Firefly is returning.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
51% of fans polled don’t want to see a reboot. Maybe it’s because it won’t star the same actors. Maybe it’s because Joss Whedon is out due to workplace harassment charges. Whatever the reason, fans don’t want to see Disney screw up yet another franchise.

View: https://youtu.be/6Ha5iGCF1Ns
I think they (Disney) should just move on and do something else. There's plenty of talent out there waiting for an opportunity to make the next Firefly....give erm a chance.

The actors on the original series are either unavailable, unwilling, or dead. I've actually worked with half of the original cast (Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Jewel Saite, Summer Glau, etc) on other productions and my take is that they've all moved on. As for Joss Whedon, even if he recovers from his recent troubles he seems to have a ton of other projects in the works.

Disney might still flog that dead horse with new actors, showerunners, or whatever. It is what it is....the Mouse likes money.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I don’t think we should write off the reboot until we’ve seen it or at least heard who’s involved. But I totally get that it would be extremely hard to capture the originality, the innovation and the blend of solid worldbuilding and seemingly effortless humour that the original cast and crew managed to imbue what was a fairly bonkers premise. It was special, it really worked, and it was badly mistreated. Not holding my breath, but let’s see…

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I don’t think we should write off the reboot until we’ve seen it or at least heard who’s involved. But I totally get that it would be extremely hard to capture the originality, the innovation and the blend of solid worldbuilding and seemingly effortless humour that the original cast and crew managed to imbue what was a fairly bonkers premise. It was special, it really worked, and it was badly mistreated. Not holding my breath, but let’s see…
Firefly also benefited being one of the few Scifi/Space Opera shows of it's time. I remember the early 2000s having shows like Stargate: SG1, Star Trek: Enterprise, and not much else. I think many people have waxxed lyrical about it due to nostalgia. I remember trying to watch it a couple of years ago and not enjoying it as much. It's definitely showing it's age.

I mean these days we're spoiled for choice when it comes to Science Fiction offerings (The Expanse, Star Trek: Discovery, Wandavision/Loki, Stranger Things, The Mandolorian, Foundation, etc).

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Firefly was a wonderful show I very much love to this day, but it was a show of it's time. If you take off the nostalgia goggles or haven't seen it back then, there is a good chance you'll find it not as great as you remember and even kinda cringe in places.
I agree with our resident Hollywood insider here @Aramsolari .
This was waaay too long ago for any of the old cast (RIP Mr. Glass) and I wouldn't want to see any of em return really, not as regulars anyways. Maybe a cameo here and there. Maybe Jayne, cos I don't remember seeing him in anything since like... Chuck maybe, and I really liked his acting and voice. (that was a fun show too, I wonder when they gonna try and fail to remake that as well )

Com on mouse, leave this one alone, make something new already! I know you need content for your failing streaming service, but more bad remakes won't make a profit!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Com on mouse, leave this one alone, make something new already! I know you need content for your failing streaming service, but more bad remakes won't make a profit!
The thing about Disney is that they're pretty risk averse. They tried their hand at lesser known or completely original projects a couple of years ago (John Carter, Tomorrowland) and those were absolute bombs. They've since gone on a shopping spree to acquire existing, successful IPs like Marvel, Star Wars and/or buying out entire catalogues (20th Century Fox). Sticking to tried and true 'safe' projects from select IPs seems to be their strategy ever since those 2010+ era disasters.

I mean....Disney is a behemoth with a $280 billion market capitalization. They're always gonna let money make their decisions.

Know one way to prevent Firefly from being remade? Stop talking about it lol.

Last edited:

ArmoredCarbon

Space Marshal
Nov 5, 2015
RSI Handle
ArmoredCarbon
I wouldn't mind new shows set in the Firefly universe, But the fact that it's disney is concerning, and so many recent reboots have been underwhelming to say the least.

Reactions: Radegast74

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I love all things Joss and have serious doubts any reboot can capture his magical dialog style. Yes, it is adolescent. Yes, he does degenerate into hopeless melodrama after he starts to run out of ideas. I think though if you had a long talk with any real fan of Firefly, or Buffy, or Joss’ Marvel works, they would not argue for Firefly on the strength of the Western flavor he injected and defended, but rather we love the pithy dialog he gave almost every character. He is a dialog genius.

I disagree that Firefly didn’t have much competition. There’s a very strong argument to be made he demanded the Western flavor to distinguish Firefly from another show. The Brits were airing Starhunter at the time and it often looked like Whedon was busy correcting a great idea not done as well as he knew he could do it. If you’re not familiar find the two Starhunter series and binge watch. They’re not bad but Whedon’s dialog is obviously three steps up.

I’m not looking forward to the reboot. I’ll always love those characters and the life the actors gave them. I am also concerned Disney might bite off more than they can chew and wouldn’t they be better off restarting Rangers of the New Republic? Or is that back on the table? I’ve seen conflicting claims about Rangers.

. . .but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

Reactions: KuruptU4Fun

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Disney has never had much imagination. I don't have much faith.
As long as they front out the cash and leave the filmmakers to their devices, things generally work out well.

Things tend to fall apart when you have too many people sticking their fingers in the pie. Big studios/networks are notorious for interfering during production. If a show lists half a dozen names as Producers/Executive Producers....it's probably gonna suck.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I love all things Joss and have serious doubts any reboot can capture his magical dialog style. Yes, it is adolescent. Yes, he does degenerate into hopeless melodrama after he starts to run out of ideas. I think though if you had a long talk with any real fan of Firefly, or Buffy, or Joss’ Marvel works, they would not argue for Firefly on the strength of the Western flavor he injected and defended, but rather we love the pithy dialog he gave almost every character. He is a dialog genius.
Yeah I like a lot of Whedon's stuff. Hopefully he sorts out some of his recent problems. By many accounts, he sounds like a bit of a dick and a bully on set though. I suppose it's nothing that can't be sorted out as long as he has the will to do so. At least he hasn't been 'Me Tooed' or something. You can't really return from that.

I disagree that Firefly didn’t have much competition. There’s a very strong argument to be made he demanded the Western flavor to distinguish Firefly from another show. The Brits were airing Starhunter at the time and it often looked like Whedon was busy correcting a great idea not done as well as he knew he could do it. If you’re not familiar find the two Starhunter series and binge watch. They’re not bad but Whedon’s dialog is obviously three steps up.
Yeah I might check that out if it's around. I didn't really watch much TV at that time though. I think I was Second Year Uni at that time lol.

I am also concerned Disney might bite off more than they can chew and wouldn’t they be better off restarting Rangers of the New Republic? Or is that back on the table? I’ve seen conflicting claims about Rangers.
Yeah I don't think it's happening anymore. Gina Carano and all that you know. There's tons of other Star Wars projects from Filloni and Favreau though. Besides The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett there's what? Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor, Ahsoka? Even a young Lando one?

Personally I'll like to see a live action series set in the Knights of the Old Republic Era. Might be fun. I'll like to see a live action series that's set +/- 500 years or something in the KOTOR era. Small references to the video games but otherwise loosely connected. The Mandalorian successfully proved to us that in the right hands, you can have a terrific series with brand new characters.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My opinion is intellectual properties based on an original IP like The Mandalorian compared to Boba Fett take on a life of their own and sink or swim based on their own merits and flaws.

Reboots, even if they are incredible, are rehashing what went before and are tainted with the comparison from the start. From what I have seen they tend to run out of steam after the original source inspiration resource has been tapped dry, too...

I can't think of any reeboots which have gone on to have a better run/life than the original? I'd appreciate some examples!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think Carano will be back at Disney. Her troubles were with Kennedy and since Filloni and Favreau replaced Kennedy, there's little to stop her return save the Mouse making a mea culpa statement.

Gina didn't have problems with anyone on set. They all loved her. Kennedy hated her social media posts, but Disney is way past that and looking to bring her back.

She will be back in Mando season 4, and they may still do Rangers. Filloni and Favreau still love the Rangers idea.

View: https://youtu.be/f5Vcoiibyes?t=150

Whedon. . .I don't know any of the details about the complaints against him. I would not be terribly surprised if he were a dick on set. if you watch the director's commentary to Firefly on the old DVD set, he goes out of his way to be a little shit more than once. He actually mentioned he killed of Tyduk in Serenity because the actor seldom came to set prepared--never knew his lines. What kind of thing is that to say about your cast in a medium with perfect memory? True douchbag move. Bragging about saying fu*k off to the studio execs and ignoring what they asked of him, and boasting about smoking pot as he wrote each day (back when weed was still illegal) clearly demonstrates a lack of maturity that seems eventually got him his comeupance.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I can't think of any reeboots which have gone on to have a better run/life than the original? I'd appreciate some examples!
Maybe Star Trek: TNG. Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, Tron, Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, Godzilla (the Peter Jackson version), The Man with the Iron Mask, D&D 5e, Starhunter 2300 was much better than its immediately prior predecessor Starhunter--better cast. (That was just before Whedon wrote Firefly.) There must be others, but its still an extremely short list compared to the number of reboots.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I think Carano will be back at Disney. Her troubles were with Kennedy and since Filloni and Favreau replaced Kennedy, there's little to stop her return save the Mouse making a mea culpa statement.

Gina didn't have problems with anyone on set. They all loved her. Kennedy hated her social media posts, but Disney is way past that and looking to bring her back.
Kennedy is still the overall head honcho at Lucasfilm though and therefore the boss of Filloni and Favreau. She wasn't replaced more as she willingly relinquished more creative control to Filloni. So the hierarchy still has Kennedy on top. Filloni serves as overall creative director, a role similar to what Kevin Feige does at Marvel. Favreau then comes in as principle showrunner...basically the go to guy for individual shows.

She will be back in Mando season 4, and they may still do Rangers. Filloni and Favreau still love the Rangers idea.
Those are rather bold statements. We honestly don't know what the inner workings are at Disney/Lucasfilm as all studios are tightlipped about their inner workings. I know you're gonna start citing Mike Zeroh but I don't consider him credible. Perhaps Carano will return...or not. Either way, she really ought to be more mindful about her social network activity. My money is that she won't be back. Her past outbursts aside......her more recent views on Twitter about Covid19 make things ahem....complicated.

Whedon. . .I don't know any of the details about the complaints against him. I would not be terribly surprised if he were a dick on set. if you watch the director's commentary to Firefly on the old DVD set, he goes out of his way to be a little shit more than once. He actually mentioned he killed of Tyduk in Serenity because the actor seldom came to set prepared--never knew his lines. What kind of thing is that to say about your cast in a medium with perfect memory? True douchbag move. Bragging about saying fu*k off to the studio execs and ignoring what they asked of him, and boasting about smoking pot as he wrote each day (back when weed was still illegal) clearly demonstrates a lack of maturity that seems eventually got him his comeupance.
Yeah I've never worked with the guy but I've worked with my fair share of brilliant assholes. Treating crew members like shit is one thing, Whedon's crime is that he treated the cast poorly as well. When you have different actors from different shows of his complaining how much of an asshole he is, yeah it's probably true. Again this can be overcome. Therapy sessions and counselling maybe?

James Cameron is infamously a bit of a bully too but it seems his is more of the fact that he's a perfectionist. God knows some of us deserve to be yelled at lol. Hell, I've been yelled at by my fair share of directors.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
My opinion is intellectual properties based on an original IP like The Mandalorian compared to Boba Fett take on a life of their own and sink or swim based on their own merits and flaws.

Reboots, even if they are incredible, are rehashing what went before and are tainted with the comparison from the start. From what I have seen they tend to run out of steam after the original source inspiration resource has been tapped dry, too...

The Mandalorian worked because it wasn't too reverent to the larger Star Wars IP on a whole. Barely any references to the more famous figures of the Star Wars universe or even famous events. Just the gunslinger/bounty hunter trope in the flesh in what is basically a Scifi Western. It's a success because it brought in new characters (sprinkled with some cameos) that the fans ended up loving yet still respected the rules of the Star Wars Universe.

Forgot your password?