March 20th COVID-19 update

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Geez, no relief for Italy yet, even with the strict restrictions in place.

There is an awfully painful delay between the full quarantines and the time you start seeing declines in new cases.

So while most of the states are a few days into taking stricture precautions, there are still gatherings, people hanging out and feeling its not really their problem. The results of this ignorance is going to bite us in the ass in about 2 weeks.
For some reason, I foresee that the same sort of people hanging out on beaches and gathering, when they get sick, will find someway to shift the blame to someone else.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
There is an awfully painful delay between the full quarantines and the time you start seeing declines in new cases.
That is true, but from today news most of the new cases are actually health worker (medic and hospital personel) that of course are in contact with people affected or place where they are treated. Also the number of recoverd people is growing (but those data seams to go underrated somehow)
So as far as bad the thing is this something is moving, regardless of some announces and terrorist proclamations....
Total blockout is suppose to end up in two weeks (april 3rd...) but honestly I can't see it coming, I'll espect at least another 2 weeks of this mess.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
That is true, but from today news most of the new cases are actually health worker (medic and hospital personel) that of course are in contact with people affected or place where they are treated. Also the number of recoverd people is growing (but those data seams to go underrated somehow)
So as far as bad the thing is this something is moving, regardless of some announces and terrorist proclamations....
Total blockout is suppose to end up in two weeks (april 3rd...) but honestly I can't see it coming, I'll espect at least another 2 weeks of this mess.
You doing alright bud? You're in the region affected right?

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Aye! But its more about reducing the peak and the rate we get to that peak. So longer can be better, if the peak is delayed and much lower. Here's an good article with this model if y'all haven't see it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR2AztgGvPD2Xzitrb7D2NOnBiyqmNnANnsYw-TEofSnH1QUNbKugK4ST4Q
That's a good article by the way. It has been posted before, but if it helps to drill in why isolation is required then post it again.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Geez, no relief for Italy yet, even with the strict restrictions in place.

So while most of the states are a few days into taking stricture precautions, there are still gatherings, people hanging out and feeling its not really their problem. The results of this ignorance is going to bite us in the ass in about 2 weeks.
Yes, that's just the nature of the damn beast.

I phrased some things poorly in an earlier post. First off, the isolation measures are absolutely the right thing to do. However, if an infected person can infect others for 5-7 days before they show any symptoms, then the people the original person infected will also be spreading it for 5-7 days before they show signs/symptoms...and so on...but, the isolation measures should definitely have an impact, in terms of reducing the opportunity of the spread. It will just be about 2-3 weeks before we really start seeing any impact on these charts.

I think the college kids gathering for Spring Break in FL are going to be a disaster, spreading that all around and then up and down the highways they came from...I hope I'm wrong!

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Here is where I think some over react, my wife works for Starbucks as a manager, Starbucks put out a letter telling everyone if you want to take 30 days leave PAID, it was optional, well guess what, 2 of her shifts said ya I want 30 days off, now she cant even run the store lmao, most of her employees said they wanted to come in but now because their down shift managers they cant even run the store for the people who do want to come in.

What kind of idiot says hey if you want 30 days paid leave its optional, either shut them all down or don't, don't give an open invitation to abuse the crisis, most people are simply taking a months vacation and now it will be someone elses expense.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Here is where I think some over react, my wife works for Starbucks as a manager, Starbucks put out a letter telling everyone if you want to take 30 days leave PAID, it was optional, well guess what, 2 of her shifts said ya I want 30 days off, now she cant even run the store lmao, most of her employees said they wanted to come in but now because their down shift managers they cant even run the store for the people who do want to come in.

What kind of idiot says hey if you want 30 days paid leave its optional, either shut them all down or don't, don't give an open invitation to abuse the crisis, most people are simply taking a months vacation and now it will be someone elses expense.
lmao, 30 days PAID leave, gee that's a tough decision, I'd have to get back to you on that one...

They should do it like Trader Joe's, where they are paying their employees a bonus for working now.

And contrast that with Gamestop...who is telling their managers to stay open, that they are an "essential service" right now:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jy9iN9RWls

diskawrs

Captain
Feb 13, 2020
RSI Handle
diskawrs
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkozG3IcXUU

Dr Sylvia Bignamini is the Health Director of San Francesco Clinic in Bergamo, Italy, the city at the epicentre of the country's outbreak tried to make sense of the spread of SARS-COV-2.
Poor Doctor look at her trying to hold it together when the reporter asks about psychologically effect.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkozG3IcXUU

Dr Sylvia Bignamini is the Health Director of San Francesco Clinic in Bergamo, Italy, the city at the epicentre of the country's outbreak tried to make sense of the spread of SARS-COV-2.
Poor Doctor look at her trying to hold it together when the reporter asks about psychologically effect.
Thanks for posting that, that is an amazing interview, and an amazing doctor. I'm going to recommend that video to my colleagues.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
You doing alright bud? You're in the region affected right?
Yep I'm in the center of the Heel right now (Pavia is 30km south of Milan, the most hot zone, and 40km from Lodi, the "gruond zero").
Family parents nd riends too... none of the people I know has problem right now, is just a post apocalipse scene..... looks like "I Am Legend" (the WIll smith movie", with the city compleatly empty, store closed and supermarket dark for 90%....

Glad I've some model to finish to paint or I'll go mad... and I've finish the beer...

CitizenSanteri

Commander
Feb 27, 2020
RSI Handle
CitizenSanteri
The what?... I'm not aware of something like that...
yea, it was a bit before Italy's cases exploded . . . It was barely covered. There was a festival and they refused to close it and ALOT of people went to it. The people had the same attitude as those spring breakers. It was in the news, a local news broadcasting but I do not recall what channel or when exactly. I bet if ya look for it, its out there.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
How old are the buildings in Italy? Do they have common air headers, are there air gaps where sound and air go from one apartment to another? Are windows open much of the time at this time of year?

Italian cities, like most of Europe, are compact and really piled on top of each other. While China is similar, a lot of their cities are brand new (not sure on the quality though). Are living conditions to blame?

While US cities have some areas like that, especially poorer areas, much of the areas are individual houses on tiny lots. Suburban dwellers have even more room.

I wonder much this might have to do with continuing spreads...

Forgot your password?