Mercury Shape Change

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
One thing that bugs me about the Mercury are the turrets.

Manned turrets, or even remote turrets on ships smaller than a Hammerhead and plain fucking awful.

The speed at which the ship moves in a dog fight makes it near impossible for turret gunners to do their job properly.

Turret gunners can only really excel when the ship is tanky enough that it can keep relatively still and allow the gunners to move around.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Manned turrets, or even remote turrets on ships smaller than a Hammerhead and plain fucking awful.

The speed at which the ship moves in a dog fight makes it near impossible for turret gunners to do their job properly.

Turret gunners can only really excel when the ship is tanky enough that it can keep relatively still and allow the gunners to move around.
Amen to this! It's almost impossible to turret return a ship is dodging, diving, dipping, ducking and dodging. How did the hurricane ever make it past concept?
But... I like... Big... Engines and I can not lie...
Yaaaaaassss!! Hahaha

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank

Solution: nerf the speeds of every ship with turrets until the gunners can hit things 😀

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

I think thet the intention of those turrets is not to hit something, but to harass the attacker and avoid them to have a clear shot, all to give time to the pilot to jump out of trouble...

One particular experience that I use to teach with, was a bookkeeper who was in the habit of checking her Hotmail while logged into the finance server. Any guesses how that worked out?
Well give her 3 warning and and after that smash his head on the keyboard untill it broke (the head, not the keyboard...)??
Or a simple firewall rule that block any access form that client on anything that is not work releted... but I'm a diplomat and prefer the first one, It will teach other not to do stupid things...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
well i mean, considering it was data mined from the Open PTU, i dont see how they could ban someone
Ban an account for what?

The files are there in the latest patch for everybody to see.
Gawww you guys and your sarcasm i know absolutely everyone has read the ToS so I don't need to repeat, but for anyone who has not picked up on the subtlety of the above posts japery, here's what the Terms Of Service have to say about screwing with the game files:

III. Rules of Conduct.

This clause describes how you should behave as a member of our community.

You must not use any of the RSI Services in any improper or unlawful manner or in breach of any legislation or license that applies to you. The foregoing shall apply to any behavior in connection with your use of the RSI Services, and shall include, by way of example, the following actions:

[...]
  • Reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble all or any portion of the RSI Services.
[...]

RSI reserves the right to suspend the use of your RSI Account and terminate your RSI Account after notice of breach and otherwise prevent your use of any and all RSI Services if your Account is used to engage in illegal activity or in violation of these TOS or other RSI Terms.

Don't do it kids - Ruin it for one of us, ruin it for all of us. They don't have to find out who did it, just how, and then there is a world of pain in store for not just the naughty bastards. I expect, open PTU's to become restricted during sensitive times such as this if that's how they got the info, and for open PTU's to become restricted again to only those whom they can trust.

They want game testers, not data miners. Remember: Loose lips melt pledge ships.

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...They want game testers, not data miners. Remember: Loose lips melt pledge ships.
disagree

first, finding image or shape files in their standard format is not reverse engineering or decompiling, so not TOS violations

second, if CIG don't want hints of future work to get out, they can remove all the non-essential stuff from PTU builds

I believe what's left accessible is by design, using the community to generate buzz around SC

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk

we need the option to split navigation controls between the pilot and turret gunner

the pilot controls the ship's heading while the gunner controls spin to keep his targets in his field of fire

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You may be right, however the terms do seem to state otherwise.

I can't see where they'd be able to get those images out of the build other than going in the data.p4k - that 'aint just finding them hiding in your screenshots folder (which is wherever you installed the game). Then again, I don't do the PTU because I don't have the bandwidth to download a several gig build update every few days so can't confirm that assumption.

If they wanted buzz in the community, all they had to do was release the assets without any of that cloak and dagger BS. One of the founding pillars of the project is no publisher dick moves. Borrowing a move from publishers playbooks and trying to dangle miners on a line is using publisher dick moves, that 'aint no standard marketing technique as it relies on random elements you have no control over. Marketers need metrics, they make them tingle. Publishers need dick moves, it gives them a half-chub.

So either they lost their way a tad, at which point it's up to us to point it out and help them remember they don't have to be dicks about it and help reign it in a bit, or someone has broken their ToS.

You may be right, though. I haven't seen where those images may be sitting, perhaps they are in the screenshots or another folder just waiting to be opened?

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don't like the new fat look of it. But if the interior is still all there I'll be happy still.
I'll bet they made the change so that they can fit everything inside.
That was the original point behind gimble assist. Do you know anyone who has fired a turret from a fast maneuvering ship like the Hurricane, Vanguard, or even the Cutty? I doubt this will outmaneuver the Cutty.

Anyway, you don't buy this ship for the guns. You buy it expecting to run away from guns, and it should be able to do that. We should not judge every ship based upon what the pilot can kill with it. The guns suck in the Apollo even worse, but it is going to be an amazing ship.

Forgot your password?