My first real YT video - Why NOT to get the MISC Odyssey

SoloPlayerZA

Grand Admiral
May 1, 2019
RSI Handle
SoloPlayerZA
Hi All!

As I mentioned last week, I have started a YouTube channel for fun! I have made many random videos to start to figure out what my style will be, even tried live streaming and got PWNED by a HH lol.

Anyways, this is my real first video with some production. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!

SoloPlayerZA

Grand Admiral
May 1, 2019
RSI Handle
SoloPlayerZA
I woke up this morning with 2.4k views… I aimed for 100, what is happening??? XD

Thanks for all the support guys and gals! Would still love to get some feedback on the video though. Would help alot if someone could help identify what I did right with this one, cause I have no idea! And how would you describe my “style” - need to figure that out to get better at it.

@Montoya and @DirectorGunner, would love to hear your feedback! Can we dm/chat on discord at some point?

Cheers!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The only "hate" that I'll state is that I'll truly hate it if CIG is choosing to no longer produce the vids with Jax. Those are always the most entertaining of their vids. The video shown here was a great job, especially for a new creator.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Algo picked you.

The algo tossed out your video to a sample of viewers that are interested in star citizen. There were 5-6 videos going around about how amazing the Odyssey is, yours was saying the opposite and scored well in some metrics like viewing time, shares etc.

Some videos hit it big, others go unnoticed, its luck sometimes.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I agree the view is absolutely horrible. Having a different opinion, that people agree with, will super boost your videos with recommended views. Stay active with the comments, heart the most important/valuable comments, keep making more videos with opinions people will agree with, time the releases well, and YouTube will reward you.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I went ahead & watched it a 2nd time, but this time through the actual YouTube website, copied my comment from here to there, added that I liked & subscribed as well as actually doing so. Cheers my friend!

Nov 29, 2021
RSI Handle
FingerBlastingWizard
Great video Solo! I gave it a like, subscribed, and left a comment to feed the Algo God. I totally agree with all of your points. I was going to pull the trigger on one but after flying the Starfarer Gemini I couldn't bring myself to fork over the dough even using potent CCU magic. As we all know the Gemini handles like garbage and it has the trademark Misc cockpit with the deep ass dashboard and almost blindfolded windshield design. If you look at the interior layout on the website (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18438-Introducing-The-MISC-Odyssey) it looks like it might be really "door heavy" like the Starfarer which is a real annoyance when your trying to get to the bridge or do anything inside the ship.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
As a TEST pilot, we cant always rely on our scanners… maybe not even the view… depends on how much BBF (beer before flight)

Exactly my point ...

The DUR cockpit is a glorified bar table that has the added bonus of a window to make sure you don't ram something. Proper tunnel vision for exploring while inebriated.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Nice video, and not only for the fact that is the first pubblished one: I find it polished, whitout any flashy content that most of the time I see on new content creator, and a clean look help to give a senze of professionalism.
Regarding the content is nice to see some critics on new ships and content in general: most of the time content focus on the hype for the new model or mechanics, having a cold-mind evaluation on even the cons is a great value IMHO. STLyoungblood always do some video on new ship on a "should you buy" theme and I think they are a good point for a reflection, you are setting it up on the same line.

Now some suggestion.
A ferewell and a "thanks for viewing" at the end of the video is nice, I think it give the feeling to the oudience that the one they just watch is not a single one-of video but there will be more in the future. I think it will encurage viwers to keep an eye out for your content.

Regarding ship specifically, while the Jax video are greate (I agree, the most fun part of IAE) for a long video like this try to incude more content of the ship itself, like the image of the brochure with the ships schematics, since you are talking about the over-abundant of feature while lack exploration, shiowing the interior maps whold have strengted this concept and also kept the focus on the screen rater then pay casually attention to the voice.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Xenophobe ... 😗

Honestly though, I get how the MISC explorer cockpits are an acquired taste. They scream "rely on your systems and scanners" as oppose to "look at that view".
Hardly a Xenophobe, my daily flier is the Defender and I have a BMM in my Hanger impatiently waiting to be my new daily driver.

I just genuinely cannot stand the design language of MISC, the whole snubbed-nose tin can look with a terrible cockpit layout and worse pilot view doesn't work for me (add to that the MISC addiction to doors, ladders, and overcomplicated floor plans, they are always an hard-pass for me.)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Unpopular opinion I love the slot cockpit views. Flying with the systems star in your field of view just rotate the ship until it's below the dashboard and the glare is gone.

Big views are nice but its what the f4 third person view is for :-)

SoloPlayerZA

Grand Admiral
May 1, 2019
RSI Handle
SoloPlayerZA
Nice video, and not only for the fact that is the first pubblished one: I find it polished, whitout any flashy content that most of the time I see on new content creator, and a clean look help to give a senze of professionalism.
Regarding the content is nice to see some critics on new ships and content in general: most of the time content focus on the hype for the new model or mechanics, having a cold-mind evaluation on even the cons is a great value IMHO. STLyoungblood always do some video on new ship on a "should you buy" theme and I think they are a good point for a reflection, you are setting it up on the same line.

Now some suggestion.
A ferewell and a "thanks for viewing" at the end of the video is nice, I think it give the feeling to the oudience that the one they just watch is not a single one-of video but there will be more in the future. I think it will encurage viwers to keep an eye out for your content.

Regarding ship specifically, while the Jax video are greate (I agree, the most fun part of IAE) for a long video like this try to incude more content of the ship itself, like the image of the brochure with the ships schematics, since you are talking about the over-abundant of feature while lack exploration, shiowing the interior maps whold have strengted this concept and also kept the focus on the screen rater then pay casually attention to the voice.
Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look at my video and give feedback. I honestly appreciate it sooo much! You have raised pivital points for me to focus on in next videos. I know that people can get tired of the “b-roll” thing. And also to work harder on the thank you part. Thank you soo much!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?